The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I stop watching the news?

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
after having no newspaper, I got a problem: I don’t have paper to make fire any more. Thats the main issue for me not to have one. ;)
I read Tim Ferris 4 hw and after that I didn’t look news any more actively.
There remains much enough news, no, too much news though.
My social contacts are very important for me and so I often hear things I didn’t know (news) and I m happy not to have seen it on tv. So much punch stories!

The decision not to watch any more is yours, but give it a try. But you also don’t have to watch yt.

Talk to people from real life and you will hear real life stories.
If you look news aditional, you will see, that they are lies often.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
You should absolutely not watch the news , if some issue that requires you to have a well rounded opinion comes up you will actually benefit from not having been exposed to propoganda related to it beforehand.

If WW3 starts or the next great depression , you'll hear about it no worries.

Adamjw02

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jan 15, 2020
I think
I'm really fascinated that everyone here doesn't watch / listen to news.
I quit in 2004 and never looked back.

This is certainly an interesting thread. What does this say about us?
What would a sociologist say about us?
I read some news, mostly about sports and usually for less than 10 minutes a day. I get some on my insta and twitter feeds (though right now I’m on a social media detox) and I think it’s better that way. I get most of my news these days by listening to other people complain.

Empire

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Feb 27, 2015
It looks like it is an overwhelming "Do Not Watch The News" here.

I had no idea that something like watching the news could actually affect my thought process...ie, finding myself thinking very negatively.

I was never into watching the news but got hooked on it over the past few years when I noticed, (what I consider to be), blatant, pure evil actions coming from the left leaders all over the world.

Being a Britt, now living in Spain I see, (via certain Youtube videos - created by real people), that there is a massive Globalist agenda push forward with plans that would've been considered conspiracy theories back in the 90's and early 2000's.

I guess it shocked me and then angered me and kind of "red pilled" me.

Here is the thing....no one else around me seemed to give two s**ts about what was/is going on. People either don't know or just follow the rest of the sheep who believe the fake crap.

Now, after reading these responses on here, I wonder what was the point of me knowing all the evil that is going on with those in charge and the Elite...including all those moronic celebrities/athletes/personalities...etc.

Yes, I am not one of the sheeple BUT what the Hell can little old me do about it?!!
Nothing!!

As of yesterday I cut off all Youtube "news" channels, (mostly independent creators but still...news is news). I will not discuss news with anyone. What focus I have now needs to point towards filling my mind with more productive, positive, actionable content.

I am curious to see if after a few weeks this will change how I feel and think.

Empire

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Feb 27, 2015
If you are going to be on YouTube, I suggest you watch Jim Rohn videos.
A lot of actionable advice. He has a unique way of seeing things.

I really appreciate these videos.
I will watch these over the next few days.

Empire

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Feb 27, 2015
The decision not to watch any more is yours, but give it a try.
But you also don’t have to watch yt.

Yeh, I only watch YT because there are some really interesting channels on there that I watch depending on my mood. Some are educational like history, science, health, fitness, practical designing and building stuff.

I have specific channels for entertainment, movie reviews, dumb challenge videos and anything to get me laughing I guess.

I am still on the hunt for more self-improvement, entrepreneurial videos. I forget who on here suggested I watch "Universal Man" videos...I appreciate that...interesting stuff.

Any more suggestions would be great.
I literally cut news cold turkey!

Empire

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Feb 27, 2015
Dear Empire

Here is something for you. (Approx 2 min) :)

Dan

Haha...Yeh I remember that show.
I believe "Page 3" no longer exists in The Sun newspaper anymore.

Funny how the corruption has been going on since then and even further back....only difference now is that it cannot be hidden due to the emergence of the Internet. Of course, the big tech companies are now trying to control that info...but I wont get into that anymore.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

MarcoB1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jan 13, 2020
Another fan of Elliot Hulse I see! I really resonate with what he has to say, I’m glad that you are on that journey as well brother.
Yup, got to be strong in every way

I'm glad you're on this path too

I wish you well, my friend!

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
It looks like it is an overwhelming "Do Not Watch The News" here.

I had no idea that something like watching the news could actually affect my thought process...ie, finding myself thinking very negatively.

I was never into watching the news but got hooked on it over the past few years when I noticed, (what I consider to be), blatant, pure evil actions coming from the left leaders all over the world.

Being a Britt, now living in Spain I see, (via certain Youtube videos - created by real people), that there is a massive Globalist agenda push forward with plans that would've been considered conspiracy theories back in the 90's and early 2000's.

I guess it shocked me and then angered me and kind of "red pilled" me.

Here is the thing....no one else around me seemed to give two s**ts about what was/is going on. People either don't know or just follow the rest of the sheep who believe the fake crap.

Now, after reading these responses on here, I wonder what was the point of me knowing all the evil that is going on with those in charge and the Elite...including all those moronic celebrities/athletes/personalities...etc.

Yes, I am not one of the sheeple BUT what the Hell can little old me do about it?!!
Nothing!!

As of yesterday I cut off all Youtube "news" channels, (mostly independent creators but still...news is news). I will not discuss news with anyone. What focus I have now needs to point towards filling my mind with more productive, positive, actionable content.

I am curious to see if after a few weeks this will change how I feel and think.
Jim Rohn said that your mind is like a mental factory, and if you continually dump garbage into it, you cannot lead a successful, rich dynamic life. It can't be done.

Stand guard at the gates of your mind. I cannot state how important that was to me.

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Also @Empire, I would make a rough guess that the mindset of most people on the forum here is "I can't control world events, my life is limited, so I am going to only focus on the things I can change, and that I have control over."

Champion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
I dont watch news at all anymore already since atleast 7-8 years. I gotta say, sometimes I feel stupid for not knowing what people are talking about, however, at the same time I think its a big advantage to not be sucked into all the noise

Jadpapi

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Mar 31, 2018
usa
News channels are business do you realize that? so they are here to make money, and attract small minded people by Fear, and negativity.. This is how i stopped watching news 10 years ago. i said to myself since i was born the same shit, conflict with Russia , and Iran , and north Korea sometimes. it depends who is making the noise so they can use the noise to make fake news.. here is the reality of life people got rich under bush , and obama, and trump, and in the 10 years i didn't mess a thing lol. tell me cuz i haven't been watching, is it the same shit? conflicts with Russia ,and sometimes iran , or north korea , and talking shit about saudi arabia , but same time our biggest alleys etc? if its the same shit then i was right.

Empire

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Feb 27, 2015
News channels are business do you realize that? so they are here to make money, and attract small minded people by Fear, and negativity.. This is how i stopped watching news 10 years ago. i said to myself since i was born the same shit, conflict with Russia , and Iran , and north Korea sometimes. it depends who is making the noise so they can use the noise to make fake news.. here is the reality of life people got rich under bush , and obama, and trump, and in the 10 years i didn't mess a thing lol. tell me cuz i haven't been watching, is it the same shit? conflicts with Russia ,and sometimes iran , or north korea , and talking shit about saudi arabia , but same time our biggest alleys etc? if its the same shit then i was right.
Yeh it's the same shit....with the added big push for Globalism, feminism and a straight up attack on white males.

I took everyone's advice and haven't watched the news...any news...since I started this thread. I certainly feel less angry and less drained.

Jadpapi

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Mar 31, 2018
usa
Yeh it's the same shit....with the added big push for Globalism, feminism and a straight up attack on white males.

I took everyone's advice and haven't watched the news...any news...since I started this thread. I certainly feel less angry and less drained.
once you become rich, no one gives a F*ck what color are you lol

Trump is white right? do you think you are more important to him than a rich saudi prince? hell no, btw i don't like or dislike him. i don't care about politics, my point is once you become rich these things don't matter, and rich people knows that too.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
I find it unsettling how many say politics doesn't matter. It's one of the only things that affects everyone.

The difference between a great country like America and an extremely rough country where starting a business is slow and expensive and opportunity is low, IS OUR POLICIES.

Some of the wealthy recognize this and help fight to keep America's policies from changing radically where becoming wealthy is nearly impossible.

Empire

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Feb 27, 2015
I find it unsettling how many say politics doesn't matter. It's one of the only things that affects everyone.

The difference between a great country like America and an extremely rough country where starting a business is slow and expensive and opportunity is low, IS OUR POLICIES.

Some of the wealthy recognize this and help fight to keep America's policies from changing radically where becoming wealthy is nearly impossible.
And THIS is one of the reasons why I kept watching the news. The thing is, I did became more knowledgeable... but I didn't have any power to do f**kall about it!

So, like what most have said here...what was the point of me watching then?!

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
For me watching the news made understand that the left increases taxes and destroys the economy, the right decreases them and with smaller, less bureocratic state, the economy improves. So it's actionable in the sense that I will be moving from Argentina to Brazil in order to work in a "right" politic leadership of country. We will see if it pays off. I will still have some business in Argentina because i cannot give up in my land, my family's home, etc.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
@Matt Sun A very simple way to put it. I know we have some Brazillians here too!

And THIS is one of the reasons why I kept watching the news. The thing is, I did became more knowledgeable... but I didn't have any power to do f**kall about it!

So, like what most have said here...what was the point of me watching then?!

Increasing your knowledge, talking about it, and engaging in discourse with others is doing something. If you want to have a greater impact you can do more public things regarding it as well.

It goes in line with 'the vocal minority', those that are loud and are doing more public things, even though they represent a smaller percentage of the political group have a disproportionate amount of influence. The centrists, even there are far more of them, tend to not say nearly as much in total.

It will probably always be this way, but there is a great deal of change caused by simply speaking and creating media, and the more that non-radicals speak up the more it will help with the situation in general.

spreng

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 1, 2019
Read the wall street journal, perhaps some actually non-biased new sources. Those are hard to find these days. The majority of news outlets are fearmongering centers with agendas to push, so no... don't bother.

duscle

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Oct 13, 2019
The news is not the problem the real vortex and life sucker is the internet. You understand until you travel away to some remote naturistic place with no internet for months.

PirriRichFast

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jan 30, 2020
Holland
News is just to keep people scared and focused on fear.
So they cant make up there own mind.. and keep running in circles
They just act like a octopus that spread the negativity more and more.

So if you like me and have a normal job and sit in the lunch room with co workers.

This is what most people talk about at work when you want to have some moment to eat and pause.
-Corona virus.
-Football
-What media singer or other national F up artist is f Up again in there life.
-Accidents
-Little chit chat about what they did in there weekend
-Baby's, Kids, Baby showers etc..
-There house or what they are rebuilding inside there house etc
- When they get on a vacation
-Also they are almost always smiling and acting like life is so nice and good... and not boring as F when working away your entire life, for some normal salary and little free daytime.
-How they partied all weekend long in the weekend and F around or get drunk allot
-If they ask me what you do? I don't want to say to much.. and say i read some books and learn how to become rich how to make my own company.. and they just stop talking and look you weird in the eyes like your some kind of alien..
-So actually you learn, to act like to behave like all the other side-walkers, so they think your normal :)

See that's just F up I think.. i rather be eating alone at home? But guess what? when your arriving at home your half hour is already gone. And you need to start working! so your late to late for work.
So k? maybe sit on a table alone? but then they think your sick? or your not normal... because we are all sheep following others and staying in groups..
Human nature.. Look in a canteen.. some guys get in late... all tables are full of people sitting and eating.. Now they have no choice... they start sitting alone.
Look at them.. sweating and feeling terrible like they almost die..
Some times i also have that moment that i need to sit alone, i like it!! and people are looking from others tables... they just look with a face like ah thats is so hard for that dude... come on guys.. that's pathetic.

Be a Wolf or stay a sheep and get eaten by a wolf.
Sorry guys for this long text not only about the news^^

What I never hear is this
-I hate working for a boss
-I want to be rich and life my life on my own terms
-That they want to build there own business, I have seen some of them that started for there own, Then they are just different.. I feel that I could talk normal to them, about stuff that interests me and what there are going to do in the future with there business and there life.. but the other ( Normal people.. Just after they know that someone is going to start for there own.. and want a positive change, the (Normal people) start acting different, they look with arrogance to the person that is soon to be there own boss... I guess that most slave money time workers just cant stand the feeling of people with a different mind set.. to life and working.
-So working a normal job is F pain in the a$$ I don't feel like i belong there.. I stop this rant, just my thoughts on this. I need to change my life :)
-They never talk real talk! no meaning full deep stuff
-Just shallow bullshit and then we al go home and put of or masks and live in the weekend

That's my view as a normal working person.. that's how things go at work..
I don't read newspapers or watch the news, and I noticed I don't care so much about all that stuff. I don't live in fear from the news.. I most admit i have fear.
Fear for what? That I stay a normal side walking person and don't act.. So that's why I joined this forum.. Change! for a better life.

I bet that allot of people should feel much better, healthier if they don't absorb all the news.
That feeders want to let you absorb.

Last edited:

Stoic Essentials

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Nov 11, 2019
I don't watch TV anymore but I do watch certain Youtubers who follow what is going on in the world. I try to avoid the "regular" media as much of that just pushes an agenda rather than simply providing the truth.

Anyway, I found this TED talk and it has made me want to seek alternative things to watch when I am relaxing in the evening.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-miTTiaqFlI

Do you think watching the news can have a negative affect on the mind when it comes to trying to improve your life and start/grow a business?

“It is imperative that you learn to ignore or redirect all information and interruptions that are irrelevant, unimportant, or unactionable. Most are all three.”
– Tim Ferriss, The 4-Hour Workweek

I need to change my mindset because there are health issues in my life right now that I feel are dragging me down. I cannot walk away from them BUT I can try to make things easier on myself by fighting back with more productive thoughts. I want to start watching helpful/inspiring Youtube videos that focus on creating an online business however, most of the channels I find are run by internet "gurus" just trying to push their latest product.

I end up watching a 30 minute "fluff" video where very little actionable info has been provided in order to get me to purchase a course of some sort.

Can anyone here recommend good Youtube channels, teachers, or other positive sources to watch that provide helpful advice/inspiration/motivation...etc, that do not have some guru trying to sell me something?

I appreciate any advice.
Thanks!
Great post. It's called 'programming' for a reason! You referenced Tim Ferriss who's someone I've been following for years, and he writes about the 'low information diet' whereby you rally limit the amount of info you take in.

Relatedly, this weekend I'm actually planning to remove my 55" flatscreen and Xbox. Sure it's great to blow off some steam every once in a while with the Xbox, but it can quickly become a massive time-waster. Two hours can go by in a flash. I don't have cable or any streaming service so thankfully I don't watch hardly any TV as it is. I feel gross watching a sporting event or something at a friends house and just all the propaganda and lame commercials.

ShepardHumphries

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Feb 5, 2020
I have been away from noose for over 10 years and I feel better-informed than ever. It is nice letting the propaganda nonsense go. Wait, what, a politician had an affair? No! Say it ain't so! Who cares, right?

I love being unplugged from mainstream news. You will love it! :)

ShepardHumphries

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Feb 5, 2020
I'm really fascinated that everyone here doesn't watch / listen to news.
I quit in 2004 and never looked back.

This is certainly an interesting thread. What does this say about us?
What would a sociologist say about us?

Great point, funny how a group of people focused on being excellent mostly all agree that news is a lousy investment of time. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.