The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I leave this out?

BobW78

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Apr 3, 2017
Ottawa On Canada
Hey guys, I'm working on an article that will be embedded in the app I'm creating. I'd like to get some opinions on a particular section. It's heavily influenced by MJ's books to the point of being borderline plagiarism.

My questions are:
  • would you consider this plagiarism - please don't sue me MJ :)
  • should I just leave this section out since I am currently still in a job and have not yet accomplished these goals? Mentally I believe that I'm already free and it's just a matter of following the process now but it's still a work in progress. I was thinking the next paragraph should explain my current situation and mindset but that seems a bit lame.
Here's the section in question:
Change your perception, change your reality
What would you be doing if money wasn’t a concern? Do you want to retire wealthy? How can you make this your reality? Start by changing your perception of money and investing. Think of every dollar you invest as a fighter in your freedom army, each one of these fighters multiplying itself over time. Once your army is large enough to produce income greater than your expenses you win the war. You’re free to choose what you do every day. No more selling your soul to a job you hate. No more Sunday evening dread in anticipation of the week to come. No more pretending to give a shit when your boss tells you about this week’s “top priority”.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

cutthroughstatic

I Buy Cars
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
Mar 13, 2015
SoCal --> Richmond, VA
I think what you wrote it fine. It doesn't look like plagiarism. There's plenty of material that talks about saving money and using money to buy time/freedom.

I think it is important that you add context. It can come across as disingenuous if you haven't done these things yet yourself. Make sure you add disclaimers that you are on the path and walking alongside of fellow entrepreneurs. You don't want people to feel like you deceived them by pretending to be something you're not.

I've been working on a website for like-minded entrepreneurs for awhile. While I do own my own business and have been marginally successful thus far, I have a long (LONG) post that I direct people to almost in the very beginning of visiting my site. It's a "my story" type of deal. Not because I think I'm great, actually it's the opposite. It's a pretty brutal self-evaluation of myself and my flaws and of everything I've done wrong. But it adds the proper context to the site and allows me to share my thoughts and advice without feeling like I'm pretending to be someone or something I'm not.

Hope that makes sense.

Sully1994

Business Development @ Sprout Social
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Nov 5, 2016
Chicago
Hey guys, I'm working on an article that will be embedded in the app I'm creating. I'd like to get some opinions on a particular section. It's heavily influenced by MJ's books to the point of being borderline plagiarism.

My questions are:
  • would you consider this plagiarism - please don't sue me MJ :)
  • should I just leave this section out since I am currently still in a job and have not yet accomplished these goals? Mentally I believe that I'm already free and it's just a matter of following the process now but it's still a work in progress. I was thinking the next paragraph should explain my current situation and mindset but that seems a bit lame.
Here's the section in question:
What would you be doing if money wasn’t a concern? Do you want to retire wealthy? How can you make this your reality? Start by changing your perception of money and investing. Think of every dollar you invest as a fighter in your freedom army, each one of these fighters multiplying itself over time. Once your army is large enough to produce income greater than your expenses you win the war. You’re free to choose what you do every day. No more selling your soul to a job you hate. No more Sunday evening dread in anticipation of the week to come. No more pretending to give a shit when your boss tells you about this week’s “top priority”.

For both the reasons you stated- leave it out.

MJ has already built a great brand. You could keep the same concepts and change the metaphors, but honestly- what's the point?

The marketplace is already brimming with change "change your perception, change your reality" / "Get Rich Quick" books.

You haven't yet reached financial freedom, so it would be intellectually dishonest to write an article about that topic.

But even if you did, it would still be pointless unless you can think of a way to improve/ re-invent MJ's concept.

Innovate, don't copy.

If you're going to copy, at least get the author's permission and then give them credit for their work. Having sources doesn't detract from your originality. It strengthens your work to cite someone who has already been validated by the market.

BTW, what's your app about?

Nicoknowsbest

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
396%
Mar 31, 2014
Austria
It's heavily influenced by MJ's books to the point of being borderline plagiarism.

What if you turned it around?

What if you spent years building your legacy?

What if now somebody comes around the corner and asks you if he can use a part of your legacy, without giving you any credit?

Would you be happy? Pleased?

"If in doubt, leave it out."

What if you use your own words?

:)

BobW78

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Apr 3, 2017
Ottawa On Canada
BTW, what's your app about?

Thanks for the feedback. I do plan on having a recommending reading section in the article that will have links to both of MJ's books and a few others.
In Canada we have a "tax free savings account". It's a pretty sweet deal. The app is designed to help people get the most out of it.

BobW78

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Apr 3, 2017
Ottawa On Canada
What if you use your own words?

:)

These words did flow directly from my brain. Maybe I've been listening to MJ's books too much.
I will attempt to get the same message across in a more original way.

Thanks for your advice

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

I don't own the idea of change your perception, change your reality.

The freedom fighter idea however it something I feel that evolved in my head a good decade ago. Not sure if I invented it or it planted by some other means.

Why not just say, "A great way to look at this comes from MJ DeMarco in his book TMF , " ?

BobW78

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Apr 3, 2017
Ottawa On Canada
Why not just say, "A great way to look at this comes from MJ DeMarco in his book TMF , " ?

Thanks MJ I think that's the direction I'll take it in. Also avoids the awkwardness of me not having actually accomplished these things yet myself.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.