The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I get an LLC?

Izayah23

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 29, 2019
Hi, I am 18 years old and new to licensing products. I have come up with a product and wanted to know if I should apply for an LLC before I start pitching my Idea to companies. And the most efficient way to do this, Thank you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
From my experience you shouldn’t form any business entity until you have to. Obviously “have to” is relative, since the reasons you see as needs will vary. But forming a Corp comes with costs from the formation and also tax preparation and renewals.

I never form a corporate entity from the start, I want to know the business is viable and profitable before I go to the haste and cost. You can form and roll a sole prop business easily at any point in time. In the past I have usually been over 50-100K revenue before I have formed a Corp for any venture.

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
You can decide it by yourself once you read The TMF

Part 6: Your Vehicle to Wealth: You
Chapter 22: Own yourself First

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
I formed an LLC the instant I thought I had a good idea.
I wish I had just made sales and then formed the LLC once I was making a regular 1k/mo.

What I think you *should* do is open a second bank account that's ONLY for your business experiments. If you are in the US then you are already a Sole Proprietorship by default without having to file any paperwork. Form an LLC once your business bank account is growing month over month.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but running a single person LLC can be taxed and treated similarly as a sole proprietorship - with the advantage of debt and other legal issues falling on the business instead of the individual (depending on the case).

I was already selling for a year when I opened my LLC, and it’s really only been beneficial in working with a few businesses that required those that they were working with to be incorporated.

Mhinto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Jul 23, 2019
Kentucky
I have been trying to license products for over a year now. Some of the first things I done were form an LLC and make a website. Neither seem have given me an advantage.

ravenspear

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 25, 2016
From my experience you shouldn’t form any business entity until you have to. Obviously “have to” is relative, since the reasons you see as needs will vary. But forming a Corp comes with costs from the formation and also tax preparation and renewals.

I never form a corporate entity from the start, I want to know the business is viable and profitable before I go to the haste and cost. You can form and roll a sole prop business easily at any point in time. In the past I have usually been over 50-100K revenue before I have formed a Corp for any venture.
I agree with this.

I feel like a lot of people form an LLC as the first thing and it often ends up being an action fake.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
From my experience, here's the answer to your question that very few people will agree with at face value:

You want to form an LLC right away and start aging it.

The cost to create an LLC somewhere like Wyoming is around $100. If you don't have an extra $100, then you have no business running a business. It's a drop in the bucket.

The company you register should have a basic name that can be transitioned into any idea. Something like IZH Group LLC, or anything that can be used for any idea. The LLC isn't your working name. It's the legal name. Your working name will be the DBA that you eventually use for whichever business/idea that catches on.

The reason you want to form an LLC right away: If you're going to have a real business, then you'll want a legally registered entity eventually. You're either going to run a business or not. It's better to go into the mindset that you will run a business.

Because you register the business today, you can start "aging" the corporation. For SBA loans and other bank loans, you typically need a minimum of "3 years in business". That's based on your incorporation date. If you incorporate today, chances are that you won't figure out what will make you money for years, but once you figure out what makes you money, you'll be able to leverage bank loans and grow faster since you'll have marked that check box.

Yeah, incorporating before launching is action faking and "pointless", but it's an action that will eventually open more doors and allow for more opportunities/options.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.