The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Short-term Returns

Should I court short-term renters for my ski town condo?

• Short-term is the only way to go!

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No way!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe. [please explain]

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
I wonder if anyone has experience with renting short-term in resort/vacation areas. I have a one-bedroom in a ski town, and I am considering marketing it to both vacationers and to locals.

Wondering if anyone can walk me through the cost/benefit of furnishing or not and managing vacation rentals. Thanks in advance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
I believe the property managers will charge between 40-50% on your returns, but for that fee they will be over there often, changing the sheets and getting the place cleaned, etc for you....

Depending on the town, you can keep it rented pretty easily in the high season -- but it depends on your personal situation whether you can cashflow or not. It sounds like you own this place for your personal use, so any money you make off of it will be gravy?

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
Are you talking about something like this?
Yeah, that's a good resource, thank you!
I believe the property managers will charge between 40-50% on your returns...
Actually, I was considering managing it myself. :blush:
...It sounds like you own this place for your personal use, so any money you make off of it will be gravy?
Yeah, it's my first RE investment, but I didn't do a Cash-over-cash analysis first. I'm sure it'll appreciate, but it'll take some voodoo to make this baby -flow.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
So you live the resort town where your resort property is? Sounds good... why not take it one step further and manage some other people's too? :) Good money to be made out there.... And then you can direct clients away from other people's units to yours first! hehe

- Hakrjak

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
So you live the resort town where your resort property is? Sounds good... why not take it one step further and manage some other people's too?

Yeah, I live in Jackson Hole, but my condo is twenty minutes away by Targhee. Pretty easy to keep an eye on things. Actually, even better than being a property manager, I'm a live-in caretaker which frees up cash for investing.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
why not take it one step further and manage some other people's too? :) Good money to be made out there.... And then you can direct clients away from other people's units to yours first!
After a re-read, I'm liking this idea more and more...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.