The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sharing My Process To Becoming A $10,000/month Freelance Copywriter

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

mirabdolbaghi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Mar 12, 2017
Malaysia
Hey guys,

I'm starting this thread to keep myself accountable and share what I've learned as I go after my 2021 goals.

My goals are:
- Earning RM10,000/month consistently. That's around USD2,500.
- Be 80kg with 13-14% bodyfat.
- Train Muay Thai 3x a week once the lockdown is over.

I started this thread after reading @mon_fi 's post on Benjamin Hardy's book. It's a great read if you want an insight into mindset.

What my process looks like currently:
- Sending out 2 proposals every day
- Writing out a spec copy, reading a piece of copy, and writing down an idea, everyday.
- Doing the Simple & Sinister kettlebell program.
- Walking one hour to get some sunlight and fresh air

What I'm working on:
- Getting my sleep schedule in order.
- Getting a steady stream of clients
- Improving my diet
- Finding a copy mentor

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Sounds great. Best of luck.
I wouldn't worry about finding a mentor, that will come sooner or later. Just focus on improving every day.

mirabdolbaghi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Mar 12, 2017
Malaysia
Sounds great. Best of luck.
I wouldn't worry about finding a mentor, that will come sooner or later. Just focus on improving every day.

Thanks. I'm keeping my eyes open for any mentor opportunities but you're right, with self-improvement the teacher will present himself

mirabdolbaghi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Mar 12, 2017
Malaysia
I was browsing Reddit and saw a promoted post. It was a female PUA artist talking about Beta Alpha stuff. I thought it was funny to hear that kind of language in 2021 so I clicked her profile out of curiosity.

All her promoted posts had angry comments; calling her a fraud, telling her to go F*ck herself, etc. I dropped a comment saying I can help increase her conversion rates.

She replied with her email. I sent her an email with constructive criticisms of her landing page.

It worked. She wants me to do a test ad for $30. If they use it, she'll pay $75. I've set up an interview with the main PUA artist to gather information for the landing page.

The call will decide if we proceed or not. But I've learned that I've been limiting myself by focusing only on Upwork.

Key lesson: There are opportunities everywhere. I just need to shoot my shot.

mirabdolbaghi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Mar 12, 2017
Malaysia
Two more prospects gave me trial work.

One is for email copywriting. It's $48/email if I get it. What's nice about this project is he's agreed to test the email on his huge email list. So even if I don't pass, I'll know where I stand with my copywriting skill.

The other is for video scripts on improving eSports performance. $80/script. I get to study performance psychology, process the information through writing, and get paid for it? F yeah.

I'd like it better if I was getting paid for the work. But until I have cold, hard numbers on my performance(response rates, sales), I'll keep using this 'offer a taste' strategy.

An idea from Benjamin Hardy that I'm working on applying:
"People mistakenly believe they must be fully qualified to take on a particular role. But this is false. You actually become qualified through the role itself.
[...]
You can never fully prepare for anything in life. There's always a leap, whether big or small, from theory to practice.
[...]
So, instead of trying to prequalify to be someone, create the environment that will qualify you to become that person now."

So am I trying to prequalify by giving out trial copy? Or does it create the environment that's qualifying me to be that five-figure copywriter?

Or should a marketer/copywriter position himself as an expert from the get-go and charge high prices?

Please leave me your two cents.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Difficult question.
I would recommend that you take every costumer you can in the first few weeks. So you can learn as much as possible. And as soon as you feel comfortable charging big prices, and you don't need every costumer, I would focus on high ticket clients. But that's just my tactic, maybe somebody has a better idea.

D

Deleted78083

Two more prospects gave me trial work.

One is for email copywriting. It's $48/email if I get it. What's nice about this project is he's agreed to test the email on his huge email list. So even if I don't pass, I'll know where I stand with my copywriting skill.

The other is for video scripts on improving eSports performance. $80/script. I get to study performance psychology, process the information through writing, and get paid for it? F yeah.

I'd like it better if I was getting paid for the work. But until I have cold, hard numbers on my performance(response rates, sales), I'll keep using this 'offer a taste' strategy.

An idea from Benjamin Hardy that I'm working on applying:
"People mistakenly believe they must be fully qualified to take on a particular role. But this is false. You actually become qualified through the role itself.
[...]
You can never fully prepare for anything in life. There's always a leap, whether big or small, from theory to practice.
[...]
So, instead of trying to prequalify to be someone, create the environment that will qualify you to become that person now."

So am I trying to prequalify by giving out trial copy? Or does it create the environment that's qualifying me to be that five-figure copywriter?

Or should a marketer/copywriter position himself as an expert from the get-go and charge high prices?

Please leave me your two cents.

You don't necessarily need to sell yourself as an expert, especially if you are not an expert...what you did with the female PUA was great, you helped her.

I think what Ben Hardy means is that you should be in an environment that gives you copywriting jobs, and through doing these jobs you will become an expert copywriter.

A piece of advice he gives if your purpose is to grow your income is to force it and make it part of your environment. Let's say you want to get paid 100/hour. It's ok to take low-paid copy jobs at the beginning, at 10/hour, then 20/hour, then 50/hour. Let's say you get stuck at 50. Well, you need to unstuck yourself. Commit not to ask under 70/hour for a job, and only apply to the high-paying jobs that fulfill your price. Refuse anyone who wishes to hire you for less than 70/hour.
Eventually, 70/hour will be your reality, and you'll reach your purpose of 100/hour.

mirabdolbaghi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Mar 12, 2017
Malaysia
Difficult question.
I would recommend that you take every costumer you can in the first few weeks. So you can learn as much as possible. And as soon as you feel comfortable charging big prices, and you don't need every costumer, I would focus on high ticket clients. But that's just my tactic, maybe somebody has a better idea.

You don't necessarily need to sell yourself as an expert, especially if you are not an expert...what you did with the female PUA was great, you helped her.

I think what Ben Hardy means is that you should be in an environment that gives you copywriting jobs, and through doing these jobs you will become an expert copywriter.

A piece of advice he gives if your purpose is to grow your income is to force it and make it part of your environment. Let's say you want to get paid 100/hour. It's ok to take low-paid copy jobs at the beginning, at 10/hour, then 20/hour, then 50/hour. Let's say you get stuck at 50. Well, you need to unstuck yourself. Commit not to ask under 70/hour for a job, and only apply to the high-paying jobs that fulfill your price. Refuse anyone who wishes to hire you for less than 70/hour.
Eventually, 70/hour will be your reality, and you'll reach your purpose of 100/hour.

Right. Keep on keeping on until I get stuck. Less over thinking and more action.

Thanks guys

mirabdolbaghi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Mar 12, 2017
Malaysia
My actions today:
- Woke up at 9am
- Did S&S workout
- Sent 2 proposals
- Did not write or read copy. Did not write down an idea.
- Did not go for a walk.
- Read 10 pages of Willpower Doesn't Work by Benjamin Hardy.

I went to set up a bed in my apartment. Discussed the rent with my tenant who is also a friend. I've got some work to do with that place. There are two empty rooms ,which means money left on the table.

Got complacent and played video games for two hours.

I need a change in environment so I'll be moving in with my brother next week.

I've got a lot of ideas from Benjamin Hardy book. I'm slowly applying them in my life.

mirabdolbaghi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Mar 12, 2017
Malaysia
I haven't posted in a while. And to be honest, I've fallen off the bandwagon. Been smoking weed and playing games way too much to be productive.

I'm not trying to throw a pity party for myself. I started this thread to keep myself accountable. So that's what I'm doing.

Moving forward, I'll post my daily effectiveness and use this thread to stay focused. I'll report my kaizen tasks, my five critical tasks, and whether I stayed true to my routine.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
I haven't posted in a while. And to be honest, I've fallen off the bandwagon. Been smoking weed and playing games way too much to be productive.

I'm not trying to throw a pity party for myself. I started this thread to keep myself accountable. So that's what I'm doing.

Moving forward, I'll post my daily effectiveness and use this thread to stay focused. I'll report my kaizen tasks, my five critical tasks, and whether I stayed true to my routine.
bro totally get it!
It's difficult to keep going sometimes. But you just need to look at it long term.
Wish you all the best. Next time you're in a situation where you're only playing games and smoking weed, write me a pm if you want some motivation ;)

mirabdolbaghi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Mar 12, 2017
Malaysia
bro totally get it!
It's difficult to keep going sometimes. But you just need to look at it long term.
Wish you all the best. Next time you're in a situation where you're only playing games and smoking weed, write me a pm if you want some motivation ;)
Thanks man. Glad to have a listening ear.

Today:
- Got 3/10 Xes on my kaizen list
- Woke up late. It's Ramadhan so I've been eating at midnight and staying up late. But that's no excuse.
- Did not work out.
- I'm tracking my time writing using pomodoros. I did one pomodoro session today. F*cking awful.

Speed112

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Dec 5, 2013
Over here, over there.

Today:
- Woke up late. It's Ramadhan so I've been eating at midnight and staying up late. But that's no excuse.
- Did not work out.
- I'm tracking my time writing using pomodoros. I did one pomodoro session today. f*cking awful.

Don't be too hard on yourself.

Try to be consistent and keep improving your progress. You can't make incredible change happen in one single go. That's because you already have a state of equilibrium that you tend towards... probably the comfort of weed and videogames.

After every push to a new peak, there is a regression to the mean. And even below it. Progress and growth aren't a straight line, but a cycle. Ups and downs.

Take these more challenging moments as proof that you are growing and changing for the better.

Recollect yourself and build back your momentum to even higher peaks than before.

Good luck. Keep it up.

And if you need input on copy or your process you can always hit me up.

VentureVoyager

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Aug 19, 2017
Merida, Yucatan, Mexico

Today:
- Did not work out.
- I'm tracking my time writing using pomodoros. I did one pomodoro session today. f*cking awful.
All that stuff is not easy. I would say, failure is a default. That's why most people will never save even 1M , not to mention bigger fortunes, and will never have fit bodies etc.
So the fitness and business are basically just about the art of F*cking up LESS. As rarely as possible. Not being successfull all the time.
You've got it man!

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016

Happened to me many times in the past. It's fine as long as you never stop going after it permanently i.e quitting.

I started copywriting in late November but only began sending proposals on Upwork in late December. I landed my first gig for $1200 in January and 4 months later I now have a broad portfolio, have helped 7 figure brands increase their conversion rate on both ad copy and email marketing, and currently make about the same money you quoted in your OP when converted to USD (basically considered wealthy now in Bulgaria).

I'm certain you'll see a lot of positive progress in the next few months, just keep sending 2-3 proposals per day for gigs that interest you and leverage every single result you get for a client (basically screenshots and confidence) to earn more from the next.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.