The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Selling Your "Stuff" - Strategies and Reasons

Young-Gun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Mar 8, 2014
Austin, TX
This topic was hard for me to pick a forum for.

It's part "Fastlane" - because I think emphasizing minimalism (NOT self-denial, just lack of unnecessary accumulation) is a Fastlane concept. To me what I mean, not cluttering your life. Not wasting time, space, mental energy on clutter.

But, it's also largely "Slowlane" to even be in a situation discussing the selling of unnecessary junk and accumulations. It's like the "residue" of your past Slowlane life.

So, it goes in the "Slowlane."

Concept and my personal application:
I've moved 3 houses in 4 years - still live in parents' town, lots of "stuff" over there. I think largely boy's clothes and books with a smattering of furniture and consumer electronics (older). I also have a bit of unused music equipment and motorcycle-related gear and accessories.

I'm not talking a department-store worth, just the result of 5-8 years of accumulation of crap.

Goals in execution:
Minimize effort and time spent
Maximize profit

Of course these goals are in direct competition with each other... thus the challenge

How I hope to feel afterwards:
A little more cash (this is actually only 50% the point of the exercise)
A little more savvy about selling (practice in person never hurts)
Less burdened by upkeep requirements of crap
More spacious in my home

My idea:
I have a medium-sized yard. Enough for a good old-fashioned yard sale. Make up quick eye-catching design of basic printer-paper flyers in a 5-block radius around my house (I like to walk every day anyway so no skin off my back). A good chance to practice copy-writing. Put specifics about what I have for sale to save people time and winnow customers.

Also, post on Craigslist. Fill post with keywords for stuff and use similar copy and image to the flyer ad.

Do the Craigslist post about a week early, do the flyers 3 days before (weather will destroy etc)

Anything expensive remaining, repost on Craigslist. If it's really big-ticket, also Ebay it.

Anything cheap remaining, probably donate it (tax deduction, correct??)

You gals and guys:
Any better ideas?????

GO>>>>>

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser394

I have almost no possessions. My money goes primarily to investing and traveling. For me it's largely a matter of opportunity cost. Still want that 458 italia.

Just dump it all on craigslist to start and see how it goes.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.