The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Selling Your Experience and Knowledge

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

randomperson00

New Contributor
Sep 2, 2020
toronto, canada
I’d love to hear from those who had some success or failure in any approach to selling their experience and knowledge. It could be creating courses, books, building a community, etc...

How did you get over that initial hurdle of having no influence in the social sphere of your field, to becoming seen as an expert? How did you display your approach to customer value? Did you validate it beforehand?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Rabby

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
The quickest way to be seen as an expert in a subject is to educate people about that subject. If you're naturally drawn to speaking, presenting, or writing, that's not too hard to do.

Personally I started by learning a subject really well (reading contracts, reading analysis, comparing contracts and forms, reading articles, books, etc., and working with the subject professionally). Then I helped other people working in the same profession do better. It surprisingly doesn't take much to know more about something than almost everyone... most people work with things they know very little about... think about how much of your computer's inner workings you understand, for example.

Beyond that, ditch any desire to impress people with your knowledge. The plainer and easier you can say something, the better. If you make it sound hard or complicated or nuanced, you'll slow yourself down. You'll you fail to bring people up to your level of understanding. And if you can't explain it to an elementary school student, it's likely likely that you don't understand your subject as well as you think you do.

Pretend everyone - employees, bosses, judges, juries, auditors - needs to hear it in words an elementary school kid can understand. No need to add difficulty to something. They'll understand better. And you'll be the one who made them understand. And in their eyes, that makes you the expert.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Bought most of your Freelance courses tonight with the Black Friday discount. I'll get started...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
It's taken a long time to write this but I wanted to be honest and real. I had to get it off my...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
PS. what do you think about the idea of setting up live Busking experiences on Air BNB? I could...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Hi Mj, I just bought it. And reading it. I think is a great idea to write using the stories to...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Just got off the phone with @LightHouse. Having just a 45 minute conversation with him has...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Thanks for the reply. Whats interesting is that I have an idea that's been cooking which...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom