The past few months I've been engaged in finding buyers and sellers for specific equipment within the oil and gas market.
It hasn't worked out well up to now, as I'm generally finding more sellers than buyers, but this thread will document my latest attempt:
Getting a specialty truck (2 in fact) sold for a large, publicly-traded, company.
Without drowning you all with the technical aspects, this truck is specialized to operate on the oilfield for a specific type of drilling activity, one which is not in the highest demand at this time. On top of that, they've been stripped of a few useful components, lowering its value and price point.
As of right now the sale for both trucks would be for approximately 60,000 USD.
Here's how I started and what I've already done:
- Cold called the company district responsible for all operations within the particular niche.
- Asked whether they were looking to either add or unload trucks to/from their fleet. They told me they were, but only the latter.
- Having built enough rapport, conversations took place with the district manager and VP, and I received photos and specs of the trucks to share with prospective buyers.
- I had one contact who specifically requested a few trucks like this back in late 2020. I wasn't able to locate said trucks in time mostly due to fixating on locating other types of equipment which I felt was more likely to be sold. After touching back with that contact, he told me the demand had dried up since then.
Back to the company for which this threads about:
- After about 10 days from receiving info and photos of their trucks, I was not seeing any real progress in finding potential buyers. But I got a follow up email from the company asking about any progress on my end which kickstarted me back into finding a way to get this done.
- Since that email, I've gone back to cold calling, targeting several (mid sized) competitors in the region. At first gaining insight on the industry conditions, but ultimately offering to unload the trucks to them. Level of interest has varied from, none at all, to somewhat curious. Shared specs and photos upon request.
- Have also reached out to companies that aren't within oil and gas, but work within a similar enough niche to where the truck might help them out. That has been a bit of a whiff thus far, with only one individual showing minor interest, possibly for down the road. They would most likely unload trucks if so.
I'm aware there are other options I can pursue, including marketing and ads, but as I've mentioned in a prior thread, I've depleted all my start up funds at this point. This is just my how I'm handling my last turn at bat, until I get back to the work force and have more capital to invest.
Also of note: Not sure how much time I personally have left to get this deal done. About a week ago, they asked if I was able to sell other heavy equipment for them, such as cranes and pressurized equipment. Fast forward a few days to my most recent talk with them, and I was informed that the other equipment was already sold.
Will aim to post twice a day in here for as long as I can.
One before the day starts to state what's on tap for that day, and another summarizing how that went and how to proceed for the next day.
It hasn't worked out well up to now, as I'm generally finding more sellers than buyers, but this thread will document my latest attempt:
Getting a specialty truck (2 in fact) sold for a large, publicly-traded, company.
Without drowning you all with the technical aspects, this truck is specialized to operate on the oilfield for a specific type of drilling activity, one which is not in the highest demand at this time. On top of that, they've been stripped of a few useful components, lowering its value and price point.
As of right now the sale for both trucks would be for approximately 60,000 USD.
Here's how I started and what I've already done:
- Cold called the company district responsible for all operations within the particular niche.
- Asked whether they were looking to either add or unload trucks to/from their fleet. They told me they were, but only the latter.
- Having built enough rapport, conversations took place with the district manager and VP, and I received photos and specs of the trucks to share with prospective buyers.
- I had one contact who specifically requested a few trucks like this back in late 2020. I wasn't able to locate said trucks in time mostly due to fixating on locating other types of equipment which I felt was more likely to be sold. After touching back with that contact, he told me the demand had dried up since then.
Back to the company for which this threads about:
- After about 10 days from receiving info and photos of their trucks, I was not seeing any real progress in finding potential buyers. But I got a follow up email from the company asking about any progress on my end which kickstarted me back into finding a way to get this done.
- Since that email, I've gone back to cold calling, targeting several (mid sized) competitors in the region. At first gaining insight on the industry conditions, but ultimately offering to unload the trucks to them. Level of interest has varied from, none at all, to somewhat curious. Shared specs and photos upon request.
- Have also reached out to companies that aren't within oil and gas, but work within a similar enough niche to where the truck might help them out. That has been a bit of a whiff thus far, with only one individual showing minor interest, possibly for down the road. They would most likely unload trucks if so.
I'm aware there are other options I can pursue, including marketing and ads, but as I've mentioned in a prior thread, I've depleted all my start up funds at this point. This is just my how I'm handling my last turn at bat, until I get back to the work force and have more capital to invest.
Also of note: Not sure how much time I personally have left to get this deal done. About a week ago, they asked if I was able to sell other heavy equipment for them, such as cranes and pressurized equipment. Fast forward a few days to my most recent talk with them, and I was informed that the other equipment was already sold.
Will aim to post twice a day in here for as long as I can.
One before the day starts to state what's on tap for that day, and another summarizing how that went and how to proceed for the next day.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Last edited:
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
