The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Seeking some advice on my relationship

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Gabbe18

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
May 16, 2020
Sweden
Hey guys,

So I have been in a relationship with my girlfriend for about a year and we have been living together for a few months. Things are really great and I really love her! We get along well, have a similar sense of humor, have similar values, and help each other improve and get better by for example working out together. We do argue sometimes but usually those are very productive and resolved easily rather than just throwing useless insults at each other. She is also extremely caring and even made me breakfast this morning!

There is just one thing and that's that our dreams don't align. I have a dream of the fastlane while she has the dream of being a cabin crew/flight attendant. I have tried showing her the fastlane and financial freedom and she even decided to start her own very small business. But her real dream is to be a flight attendant.

This makes me a little bit worried that it might cause problems down the road when our dreams don't align like that. I am fairly inexperienced when it comes to romantic relationships so I wanted to ask people who have been in long-term relationships what your advice would be? Am I exaggerating or is this a valid concern? Maybe our relationship can function for decades without having the same dream?

Ideally, I don't want to lose her or end the relationship because everything is so good with her right now but I also don't want to be miserable in 20-30 years because I stayed with her.

Anyways, any advice is appreciated!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lyzmin

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Jan 30, 2023
Amsterdam, Netherlands
There is just one thing and that's that our dreams don't align. I have a dream of the fastlane while she has the dream of being a cabin crew/flight attendant. I have tried showing her the fastlane and financial freedom and she even decided to start her own very small business. But her real dream is to be a flight attendant.

You're talking about business dreams. What about personal dreams? Start a family? Core values?

My girlfriend's dream is to become a surgeon and she will probably do that all of her life. Not my dream, my vision is Fastlane like MJ discribes in his book. We support each other in every way.

So a better question to ask is, does she support you in everything you do?
Why don't you support her in the same way?

Sounds to me as a flight attendant she won't work a day in her life because of her love for the job.

Am I exaggerating or is this a valid concern? Maybe our relationship can function for decades without having the same dream?

My conclusion is definitely positive. As long as you're able to give each the freedom to pursue your own goals.
Just my perspective on the situation :)

Good luck to you! You sound like a lucky guy getting breakfast every morning!

Gabbe18

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
May 16, 2020
Sweden
You're talking about business dreams. What about personal dreams? Start a family? Core values?

My girlfriend's dream is to become a surgeon and she will probably do that all of her life. Not my dream, my vision is Fastlane like MJ discribes in his book. We support each other in every way.
That is a very good point! Thanks for the insight! I haven't thought about that!

In terms of personal dreams and core values, we are certainly on the same page. When it comes to starting a family I don't know everything yet. We haven't talked about that extensively since we have only been a couple for about a year.

Thanks for the feedback though! :)

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
Supporting each others dreams is more important than sharing them. That's the "married twenty years" thought.

The other is noting she hasn't actually been a flight attendant, right? Dreams change all the time especially when you're just getting started and interacting with the real world. That's why the emphasis on supporting each other vs. any particular dream. No one really knows what they'll be doing next year much less 15-20 years from now.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Hey guys,

So I have been in a relationship with my girlfriend for about a year and we have been living together for a few months. Things are really great and I really love her! We get along well, have a similar sense of humor, have similar values, and help each other improve and get better by for example working out together. We do argue sometimes but usually those are very productive and resolved easily rather than just throwing useless insults at each other. She is also extremely caring and even made me breakfast this morning!

This makes me a little bit worried that it might cause problems down the road when our dreams don't align like that. I am fairly inexperienced when it comes to romantic relationships so I wanted to ask people who have been in long-term relationships what your advice would be? Am I exaggerating or is this a valid concern? Maybe our relationship can function for decades without having the same dream?

Ideally, I don't want to lose her or end the relationship because everything is so good with her right now but I also don't want to be miserable in 20-30 years because I stayed with her.

Anyways, any advice is appreciated!
Take care of today. Support each other. The future has yet to be written.

Here's another thought. I have known some international flight attendants who have businesses on the side that dovetailed with their careers. One of them bought items in the counties where she visited on her flights to bring home. She sold them at a great profit. And she shipped them home for free by putting them into her suitcase.

Work on your relationship. Help her with her dream. Have her help you with yours. If she gets that job and you're married, you get to fly for free. Think of where that can take you!

Gabbe18

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
May 16, 2020
Sweden
Thanks for all the feedback guys! Really appreciate it!

The other is noting she hasn't actually been a flight attendant, right?
She actually is a flight attendant right now and enjoys it which makes me happy.

Gabbe18

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
May 16, 2020
Sweden
Good luck achieving the fastlane dream with a distraction like that.
Who said anything about distraction?

When I work on my business she respects that and leaves me alone.

She even helps me, for example when I have a sales call she poses as the prospect so I can practice my questioning skills and the overall call.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.