The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sad Day Motivation

Anything related to matters of the mind

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Another thread triggered a sad day memory that I have that may help motivate some of you young guns. I will try to keep it short.

We waited until later in life to have our daughter. I was better able to handle the demands of raising a kid and it has been great. When she was 7 she had to have some orthodontic work. The work was going to cost about $1500.

My work was slow and we were struggling financially and now this happened. It was tough to sit there and look at my kid and know that I couldn't write that check. We had to finance it out on unfavorable terms.

We could sign the note or she wouldn't get the work done. Those were our choices.

Of course we signed the note and she is OK today.

I still remember the helpless feeling I had. My kid didn't want this. This was not a toy. This was a need and I couldn't give her what she needed.

My plan is to never be in that situation again. I use memories like that to keep me going even when I think I am ready to quit.

What is your sad story that you use to motivate?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Mine isn't a sad observation, but your story made me think of why I keep the day job even though I'd love to quit and pursue fastlane ventures full-time. I have a gradeschooler and a husband who's business is finally getting off the ground after three years of hard work. My slowlane job offers health insurance, and I make decent money. It's what pays for the mortgage and groceries.

If it were just me, I'd be willing to live cheap and risk security, but when you're a parent, the choices aren't so simple -- because when your child has a need, and you're not able to meet it, it's a lot worse than foregoing something for yourself.

Some of my sadness comes from wishing I could be at home when my kid gets out of school, rather than making hm to go after-school care, which he hates. It's part of what motivates me to keep plugging away at fastlane ventures even after failing at more than I care to think about.

D

DeletedUser394

Another thread triggered a sad day memory that I have that may help motivate some of you young guns. I will try to keep it short.

We waited until later in life to have our daughter. I was better able to handle the demands of raising a kid and it has been great. When she was 7 she had to have some orthodontic work. The work was going to cost about $1500.

My work was slow and we were struggling financially and now this happened. It was tough to sit there and look at my kid and know that I couldn't write that check. We had to finance it out on unfavorable terms.

We could sign the note or she wouldn't get the work done. Those were our choices.

Of course we signed the note and she is OK today.

I still remember the helpless feeling I had. My kid didn't want this. This was not a toy. This was a need and I couldn't give her what she needed.

My plan is to never be in that situation again. I use memories like that to keep me going even when I think I am ready to quit.

What is your sad story that you use to motivate?

Too many to write about unfortunately (or fortunately), but here's one that happened about a week and a half ago.

Right when we were gearing up for the busy tourist season, a massive flood tore through our city and destroyed my workplace and crippled most of the city.

In an instant, my livelihood was in jeopardy. I watched as my boss lost his business, one that he had spent building for the last 20 years. He was ready to retire, and I and another partner were going to take over the day to day operations. Now he can't retire. He's 64 years old, worked 7 days a week for almost 20 years... and it's all gone.

So now I've doubled my efforts at building my own independent sources of income, so that I don't have to feel so helpless, and so that no act of nature, or anything else could ever destroy everything that I've worked so hard for.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Mine isn't a sad observation, but your story made me think of why I keep the day job even though I'd love to quit and pursue fastlane ventures full-time. I have a gradeschooler and a husband who's business is finally getting off the ground after three years of hard work. My slowlane job offers health insurance, and I make decent money. It's what pays for the mortgage and groceries.

If it were just me, I'd be willing to live cheap and risk security, but when you're a parent, the choices aren't so simple -- because when your child has a need, and you're not able to meet it, it's a lot worse than foregoing something for yourself.

Some of my sadness comes from wishing I could be at home when my kid gets out of school, rather than making hm to go after-school care, which he hates. It's part of what motivates me to keep plugging away at fastlane ventures even after failing at more than I care to think about.

Absolutely, health care coverage is a huge consideration and will become more important/expensive as you age.

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
I think about my parent who are in the slowlane, and how they paid lots of money to put my brother and I through school. I feel bad whenever I think about it and it motivates me to work hard so I can provide for them in their old age. I don't want to see them get hurt when they are older and not be able to afford the bills or have to work till they are 80.

Also, I don't want my children to feel guilty about getting a sweet tea/coke if we go out to eat, because it is more expensive than a water.

AmyQ

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 5, 2013
Our story wasn't really sad....we don't have kids yet, but it was scary for us.

A couple of years ago, our business took a turn for the worse. Due to changes in legislation and the marketplace, we lost 2/3 of our revenue, and had to change our business model. To keep the business alive/keep our staff intact, my husband put all of his assets into the company. It wasn't enough. So, we got an SBA loan and used our house and a rental we own as collateral. Still wasn't enough. Our business is seasonal and payroll was coming up, so we drained all of my assets as well. We had laid a lot of groundwork to start of our busy season with strong sales, but we didn't know how it would go, particularly with our business model changing. I had 2k left in my account on the 3rd after making payroll/bills on the first and we had payments due of 30k (payroll and bills) on the 15th. We had record sales for the month (at that point) and made it, but facing losing your home and your business is pretty scary. As I posted before, I had enough faith in my husband and our work to invest my money, but not to avoid doubting him. I really freaked out one night. While it is understandable, I regret it to this day.

In the end, it motivates me to watch my words as much as to work towards my goals. I can't take back the things I said to my husband in my moment of doubt, but those harsh words motivate me to support him today. Even if we had lost everything, blaming him wouldn't have helped. I should have made some coffee and gotten to work or shut up.

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
I don't think I really have a sad story as of yet..It's more of a pity party/wtf am I doing/why am I being so lazy when every two weeks, that check gets auto posted into my account. I set a budget, see the awesome $300 I get to save out of that check, become too afraid to spend money outside of food/gas/bills, and think "is this really what my life will be and all that it is? What am I doing with my life?" Then, my mind trickles to the girlfriend and how she wants to get married asap, wondering how I will buy a ring, buy a wedding/honeymoon, support another person when I hate supporting myself with my check, and so forth. Then I think even further to kids. Eventually, it comes full circle and I wonder how people live on less doing more. Sad what most of the world is living on or dealing with, and here I am complaining about what I make...but everyone has a right to money in this world. Just gotta go and collect it.

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
I don't have a sad story but i have a dream :smx2:

oh and this is a very good thread a reminder that you need to think negativ because when you think positif: i can do it. stuff like that it doesn't work because when you think that you wil not try harder because you think you will succeed anyway.

On the other hand in the 50th law it says:When there is chaos don't lose your mind think positief there are oppurtunities everywhere adapt to it.

But i mean when you want something think negativ about it like:If i don't do it i will become ..... etc.
This wil make you work harder because you think about what wil happen if you don't.

This has been said numerous times but this is just a very good reminder:thumbsup:

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
Good story, Runum.

I have one, too.

Have you ever loved someone so much that just looking at them gave you goosebumps? I have a girl in my life who gave up everything for me, and, in the past, I let her down. More than once. And I know it hurt her.

I think the only feeling worse than knowing that someone else hurt the person you love, it is knowing that you yourself hurt the person you love. I use the pain of never wanting to let her down again drive me through sleepless, work-filled nights (like last night). I meditate on my desire to be with her and live the beautiful life forever. The rage and passion and fire in my work stems from hatred for the notion of her working a job she hates for some old F*cking douchebag whose a$$ I should motherfucking kick if...

Pause.

Deep breaths.

A friend of mine once said that "anger is the get shit done" emotion. You just have to learn how to control it. Perhaps the emotion we need is not just sadness, for one cannot do much with depression, a heavy heart and tear-stained cheeks in war. And that is truly what this is, brother: war.

So... "focus on an enemy," as Greene says. And get angry.

Steele Concept

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Sep 3, 2012
Connecticut
money=happiness

Correction, money to meet basic financial and security needs = happiness, above that money doesn't provide a whole lot of intrinsic satisfaction.

If you never have to worry about bills, shelter, clothing, food, bills etc. and have freedom - that is happiness. There are many studies that indicate this and I think it is generally beyond $60/year or so where happiness does not go up exponentially with wealth after that. It greatly depends on COLA in your area. A lot of people make a shitload of money and are in debt and just sprinting on that hedonic treadmill of the buying highs that they constantly seek.

A life filled with free time to pursue ones passions, good friends, good family and good health is what really matters. In order to have freedom and escape the 9-5 matrix we do need some cash for sure.

Not trying to pick apart your post but you are both right and wrong my man :cool:

ErrandRunnerUSA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 16, 2012
Los Alamitos
Couldn't get time off on a Sunday from Whole Foods to see my Grandma when she visited my family. She died of a stroke the next day (Monday morning). I never saw her again. I quit Whole Foods and never took on another job since then. It still angers me till this day.

Last year, my mom couldn't get time off from work to put our dog down. My dad and I had to put him down. She decided to retire since she couldn't be with Misha (our dog). Misha was family. Another reason for me to hate jobs.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
That's a touching story, CH. Although I don't know how you feel (I don't have any kids), I can definitely relate with it. The girl who I'm talking about is a girl who I want to protect all of the time, always make sure that she's safe and okay. Even though she's my age, I call her my baby girl... because she is my baby girl. And if I fail that, then it is exceedingly difficult to live.

I made a very difficult decision... to be away from her while I built this new venture of mine. It has taken ten months, full of ups and downs, exciting discoveries, disappointing setbacks, flashes of pure genius, dark moments of self-doubt... can I really do this?

So, I guess I'm living the other side of your equation. You have your husband and your children. I envy you immensely. I am sure they love you, and you love them, and it must feel fantastic to kiss them all to sleep at night. I wish I had that right now, but I do not.

And perhaps what I have makes you green with envy, because the grass seems greener on my side. I have all day to myself to work - and I utilize every hour, day and night. I have been up since 6pm yesterday. Worked straight through the night. Why? Because I want a Bugatti, a Lambo, a Ferrari, a Bentley, a Yacht, and some good, old-fashioned glory. Yes. Sign me up for that.

And yet, at the end of the day, I hustle so hard at night because I desperately desire the feeling that you have at night with your family.

A fisherman always sees another fisherman from afar.

[video=youtube;fxrXciJqWPI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxrXciJqWPI[/video]

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
Too many to write about unfortunately (or fortunately), but here's one that happened about a week and a half ago.

Right when we were gearing up for the busy tourist season, a massive flood tore through our city and destroyed my workplace and crippled most of the city.

In an instant, my livelihood was in jeopardy. I watched as my boss lost his business, one that he had spent building for the last 20 years. He was ready to retire, and I and another partner were going to take over the day to day operations. Now he can't retire. He's 64 years old, worked 7 days a week for almost 20 years... and it's all gone.

So now I've doubled my efforts at building my own independent sources of income, so that I don't have to feel so helpless, and so that no act of nature, or anything else could ever destroy everything that I've worked so hard for.

I know the feeling. I was living in a place I loved, doing something I loved; generally speaking it was a life I loved. I used to fly fish almost everyday, mountain bike 15-20mi a few times a week and always managed to get in at least a few epic powder days. I was about to launch another business and was working on acquiring another, assuming the terms were right but I lost it all after a flood. Coincidentally, I found this forum shortly after while trying to figure out my next move.

The dream life that I once had is the secret sauce that keeps me going.

I think most people have never really experienced this and they really have no idea how awesome your life can really be so they say things like money doesn't buy happiness, which pisses me off because I used to be happy and I can buy it back.

PS I find anger the be a much better motivator then sadness.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.