The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

SAAS Startup, $100K+/mo, $1M+/valuation (ASK AWAY!)

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
Hey @DanC, can you elaborate on some communication tips that helped you weed out real problems--or that helped entice the conversation to a genuine problem?

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

HowToMillion

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 2, 2014
Earth
Hello @DanC, thanks a lot for this AMA and congratulations on your success. Before I saw this thread btw, I am in the middle of something and actually pre-sold(not much though).. so after I saw this thread, I re-thought and send out a bunch of e-mails and called. If not ignored, most of the responses are negative, I might be reading between the lines but I'm almost quite sure they are a little bit scared I might accidentally disclose their ideas and losing their competitive advantage. How do I erase those fears and doubts right from the start? or do I?

Maxwell

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 15, 2015
Thanks for doing the AMA. Also congrats on having the Australian accent, I was blessed with the gift as well. I appear to have missed the cut off for "The Foundation" and was wondering if there is anything equivalent that will provide you with the necessary skills. Thanks heaps!

Growth & Learn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 1, 2015
Southern California
Hi Daniel,
What are some tips for scaling your growth? We're increasing our customer base by about 10-30 customers per month but I feel like the growth rate is not very Fastlane.

MJ is in my head in a good way :)

Last edited:

thidr0

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Feb 13, 2015
Brooklyn
A little late to the party, but something I've wondered about the pre-selling phase:

When trying to pre-sell, are you only speaking to decision makers? What do you do when the person who likes your product needs to kick it up to his/her boss for approval?

DanC

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
692%
Feb 6, 2015
Hey @DanC, can you elaborate on some communication tips that helped you weed out real problems--or that helped entice the conversation to a genuine problem?

Thanks!

Ask people why or how does that work like 4 or 5 times to really understand something. Dane has some videos on idea extraction on Mixergy check them out.

People usually know what their problems are but are bad at expressing them. In a way its like if you went to a therapist they are going to ask you a bunch of questions till they get down to the root of your problems being your parents letting you wear a bathing suit instead of underwear :) You want to avoid surface level answers and go deeper, your the therapist helping them to see things clearer (and also getting clearer yourself).

DanC

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
692%
Feb 6, 2015
A little late to the party, but something I've wondered about the pre-selling phase:

When trying to pre-sell, are you only speaking to decision makers? What do you do when the person who likes your product needs to kick it up to his/her boss for approval?

Talk to their boss.

You really want to talk directly to the person who will be making the decision so that if they have any objections you can cover them in real time rather than through a proxy.

If thats a regular thing in your market where you don't talk to the decision maker (shouldn't be in most and def not in small businesses) you would probably want to get the person you are talking to really bought in, so they can make the best possible presentation to their boss and effectively sell them for you.

Last edited:

DanC

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
692%
Feb 6, 2015
Hi Daniel,
What are some tips for scaling your growth? We're increasing our customer base by about 10-30 customers per month but I feel like the growth rate is not very Fastlane.

MJ is in my head in a good way :)

If thats recurring thats still nice your growing. I'd try aim for a percentage growth e.g. between 10 - 20% customer growth per month things will start to compound if you can maintain that kind of rate.

Do more of whats working + try some new things like paid advertising, webinars, outbound sales, write a 7 part course, research how your competitors get sales etc. I would just try one new thing at a time.

evlttwin

It's A Long Way To The Top....
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Feb 13, 2013
Southern California
Hello @DanC, thanks a lot for this AMA and congratulations on your success. Before I saw this thread btw, I am in the middle of something and actually pre-sold(not much though).. so after I saw this thread, I re-thought and send out a bunch of e-mails and called. If not ignored, most of the responses are negative, I might be reading between the lines but I'm almost quite sure they are a little bit scared I might accidentally disclose their ideas and losing their competitive advantage. How do I erase those fears and doubts right from the start? or do I?

This is an interesting question that was never answered.....

Im curious to know this as well.

DanC

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
692%
Feb 6, 2015

I did miss this one.

I'm not really sure what the issue is, it could be timing e.g. this would be a terrible time of year to email accountants.

Or it could be subject line, phrasing in the email etc. Post some examples here and people can probably help out with some suggestions.

Remember your expecting to be ignored by most people, it's the people that reply and want to talk to you, that your going to help and learn from.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.