The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Resurrecting my search for an unconventional life

orangjul

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 29, 2013
Breckenridge, CO
Hi Everyone!

My name is Julia and I live in Breckenridge, CO. I moved here to ski and avoid entering the "real world" 9 years ago (after college). However, after the 2nd year, I fell into the trap of getting a "real job" and becoming a slave to my employer. Most of my friends consider me to be very successful to have "made it" in a ski town. And I do consider myself lucky to have escaped the rat race, to a degree. I'm a web designer, work from home, and make decent money compared to most 30-something ski bums. I own a nice house and a new car. I still get out to ski and enjoy the mountains at my doorstep. Sounds pretty good, right? However, I still daydream about something better - an unconventional, free life. I'm tired of answering to my employer and unhappy with the poor management of the company. I don't believe in their product any more, and quality is be sacrificed for quantity. The environment has changed for the worst, I work a lot more hours that I used to, and I don't have the freedom I did a few years ago. I've been spending a lot of time brainstorming on how to change my situation. I miss the life I had at 24, even though I made less than 1/3rd the money I do now. I spend way too much time working, and not nearly enough time playing (the reason I moved to Breck from MD/DC in the first place). I'm not necessarily looking to become a millionaire, but am looking to change my lifestyle for the better.

I have dozens of business ideas and I'm trying to determine which ones to explore. I'll post a separate thread on that.

I know a lot about WordPress and building websites. I also have a graphic design background. If anyone needs advice in these areas, I'd be more than happy to help. Or, if you need advice on your ski vacation, I can help with that too :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
Orangjul,

Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of great people here -- you'll figure out who they are -- willing to share/help someone who is putting in the elbow grease.

All the best.:)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome to the forum Julia, always nice to have another entrepreneurial lady on board. :)

Hicks

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 28, 2013
UK
hi,
perfect timing.
i have a question about wordpress..... if you dont mind answering it that would be great.

i built an online course years ago that i'm going to re-release. I built it on Serif ( a british w-design software). I now want to start a new website and add the old serif website as a product that you can access through membership software.

So basically the reason that i want to use wordpress as the main site is that it has lots of plug ins that would make things easier for other things i want to sell but i also have this (huge course that was built using different software...including flash quizzes and mp3 downloads etc).

can i start a website in word press ...upload the serif file in a different folder and put a paywall in between the two....or should i just build the main site in serif?

LOL....i bet you're regretting offering help now?

if it makes you feel better i spent 2 hours teaching a complete stranger how to self publish books today!

I know its a big question so feel free to ignore!

oh....and welcome to the forum.

Tick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
392%
Dec 29, 2013
Alaska
Love Breckenridge, grew up in Fort Collins and Greeley. I feel your pain, you're on the right path

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi Julia,

Welcome! I have a friend who did the exact same thing. He moved from an engineering job in Chicago to Breckenridge maybe 12 years ago? I think he teaches snowboarding now at Breck or Keystone and lives in Frisco.

orangjul

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 29, 2013
Breckenridge, CO
hi,
perfect timing.
i have a question about wordpress..... if you dont mind answering it that would be great.

i built an online course years ago that i'm going to re-release. I built it on Serif ( a british w-design software). I now want to start a new website and add the old serif website as a product that you can access through membership software.

So basically the reason that i want to use wordpress as the main site is that it has lots of plug ins that would make things easier for other things i want to sell but i also have this (huge course that was built using different software...including flash quizzes and mp3 downloads etc).

can i start a website in word press ...upload the serif file in a different folder and put a paywall in between the two....or should i just build the main site in serif?

Hi Hicks,
I'm not familiar with Serif, but theoretically you should be able to set up the Serif website within a subdirectory (with WordPress installed at the root). Or is it something they download?

orangjul

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 29, 2013
Breckenridge, CO
Hi Julia,

Welcome! I have a friend who did the exact same thing. He moved from an engineering job in Chicago to Breckenridge maybe 12 years ago? I think he teaches snowboarding now at Breck or Keystone and lives in Frisco.

I lived in Frisco for 6 years...what is his name?

harerace

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Dec 18, 2013
Hi Everyone!

My name is Julia and I live in Breckenridge, CO. I moved here to ski and avoid entering the "real world" 9 years ago (after college). However, after the 2nd year, I fell into the trap of getting a "real job" and becoming a slave to my employer. Most of my friends consider me to be very successful to have "made it" in a ski town. And I do consider myself lucky to have escaped the rat race, to a degree. I'm a web designer, work from home, and make decent money compared to most 30-something ski bums. I own a nice house and a new car. I still get out to ski and enjoy the mountains at my doorstep. Sounds pretty good, right? However, I still daydream about something better - an unconventional, free life. I'm tired of answering to my employer and unhappy with the poor management of the company. I don't believe in their product any more, and quality is be sacrificed for quantity. The environment has changed for the worst, I work a lot more hours that I used to, and I don't have the freedom I did a few years ago. I've been spending a lot of time brainstorming on how to change my situation. I miss the life I had at 24, even though I made less than 1/3rd the money I do now. I spend way too much time working, and not nearly enough time playing (the reason I moved to Breck from MD/DC in the first place). I'm not necessarily looking to become a millionaire, but am looking to change my lifestyle for the better.

I have dozens of business ideas and I'm trying to determine which ones to explore. I'll post a separate thread on that.

I know a lot about WordPress and building websites. I also have a graphic design background. If anyone needs advice in these areas, I'd be more than happy to help. Or, if you need advice on your ski vacation, I can help with that too :)

What the best way to get traffic to your domain besides google ad sense and social media ad's ?

orangjul

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 29, 2013
Breckenridge, CO
What the best way to get traffic to your domain besides google ad sense and social media ad's ?

Hi harerace,

This is not actually my area of expertise. I'm a Web/Graphic Designer by trade, not an internet marketer. I think there's probably a lot of good info on this forum about getting traffic (or at least info on which resources to rely on)...maybe post a new thread asking? It's certainly something I'm going to be working on learning as I launch my own business.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...