The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Release Forms for Logo Design

JagerMario

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 14, 2012
Hi All,

I am looking to get a logo designed. After I find one I like i want to make sure that the Artist signs a release making it 100000% mine alone for any use. that i won the final product and every stage of development of it (Sketches)

I looked online to try to find a release form that i like but couldn't find one. Id hate to spend lawyer fees on something that I am hoping is free on the internet.

Has anyone found a good release form for Graphic Design that they could point me towards?

Much Appreciated,

Mario

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I really wouldn't worry about it. I've never heard of a designer have an issue with releasing a logo. Just keep the invoice from them, and any email correspondence.

I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences...

Idella

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
May 26, 2012
Chinatown, Philly
If you want something quality, work closely with an artist, non-spec work, get what you want, pay the fees. Talk it over with the artist, normally they will have the contacts and will make the provisions once they are talked over. AND I hope you're actually trying to pay the artist for the quality of work you may want.

Zellain

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jun 8, 2012
Northern Arizona
As they said above, your designer should have a contract for you and should have no problem giving you rights to the logo. If you want to take a look at sample contracts that many designers reference I have heard that Business and Legal Forms for Graphic Designers by Eva Doman Bruck is a great resource. You can find it on Amazon for less than $20 and maybe even your local library.

Idella

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
May 26, 2012
Chinatown, Philly
As they said above, your designer should have a contract for you and should have no problem giving you rights to the logo. If you want to take a look at sample contracts that many designers reference I have heard that Business and Legal Forms for Graphic Designers by Eva Doman Bruck is a great resource. You can find it on Amazon for less than $20 and maybe even your local library.

I use Business and Legal Forms along with Pricing and Ethical Guidelines. I will probably blend the two in order to finalize my own sort of editable contact.

JagerMario

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 14, 2012
It is not Spec work; the artists im talking to are artists not business people so they dont know what to do past drawing and shaking hands. Thats why I am looking into it versus reviewing the forms they use.

Thanks for the info; Business and Legal Forms for Graphic Designers - I will look it up.

Idella

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
May 26, 2012
Chinatown, Philly
Rather amateur artist then. Art is a business also. Those artist are going to bite themselves if they don't learn the business side of art and not make what they are worth. There are quit a few legalities that go into commission work that protect the artist and the client.

If these artist can't do anything passed shaking hands, their careers won't yield them any money. The benefit for you is that you can take advantage of inexperienced...not very ethical though, especially with working with artist that don't know their own rights.

JagerMario

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 14, 2012
Rather amateur artist then. Art is a business also. Those artist are going to bite themselves if they don't learn the business side of art and not make what they are worth. There are quit a few legalities that go into commission work that protect the artist and the client.

If these artist can't do anything passed shaking hands, their careers won't yield them any money. The benefit for you is that you can take advantage of inexperienced...not very ethical though, especially with working with artist that don't know their own rights.

Idella,
I am hiring some1 based on the quality of work not their business savy...... Their business savy will not make my logo"better". It is also their problem not mine.

That said, I am not taking advantage of anyone. If anything my insistance on a contract and release is helping them learn how business is done.

Idella

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
May 26, 2012
Chinatown, Philly
From my experiences the best artist and designers have a firm grasp on both the business and art world. That's all I was getting at. There is a process to logo design that does incorporate being business savvy. Knowing your market, the message you want to send with your logo, will people recognize it even without text. Those things make a difference. A logo is representing your company or your brand, it can make or break a business.

I'm not sure how much you know about artist contracts (well that's what the thread is about to nevermind), but unless properly discussed it's not as easy as just signing over an image to a person, there are fees, copyrights or trademarks, usage agreements, moral rights and other ethics.

:( Not as simple as creating a Swoosh for $35 dollars that the entire world recognizes...most epic graphic design story in my book.

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
From my experiences the best artist and designers have a firm grasp on both the business and art world. That's all I was getting at. There is a process to logo design that does incorporate being business savvy. Knowing your market, the message you want to send with your logo, will people recognize it even without text. Those things make a difference. A logo is representing your company or your brand, it can make or break a business.

I'm not sure how much you know about artist contracts (well that's what the thread is about to nevermind), but unless properly discussed it's not as easy as just signing over an image to a person, there are fees, copyrights or trademarks, usage agreements, moral rights and other ethics.

:( Not as simple as creating a Swoosh for $35 dollars that the entire world recognizes...most epic graphic design story in my book.

I agree!

Businesspeople have often times problems with hard to handle designers and that's the reason there are people in bigger agencies 'handling' the creatives, just watch mad men.

One of the greatest 'real mad men' Ogilvy started as a salesman and always told every creative that they should think about selling at first when creating advertisments (his book is EX-CELLENT!!)

Some tips on selling from Ogilvy

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
[video=youtube;Br2KSsaTzUc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br2KSsaTzUc[/video]

Fastlaner2012

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Dec 23, 2011

Idella

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
May 26, 2012
Chinatown, Philly
Hi,

You could use crowdsourcing sites like 99designs and crowdspring and have designers sign the forms as part of the deal.

Here is one release form for Graphic Design

Here is another Designer Contracts Agreements Forms and Web Designers Contracts

I am not affialted with any of these sites...

Hope this helps

Maroine

Looking at Logo Mill sites, it sucks for those art school students that will have to turn to sites like this to low ball pricing just to pay rent. Well, it's pretty much spec work, you're competing against other designers and hope your design gets chosen for 150-400 dollars. Even if the prices get to $1000 and beyond you don't have a guarantee of your design being chosen. It's spec work, if you have some free time, it would be a good way to kill time and keep the creative juices flowing.
Some of the logos look safe, plain, and created out of desperation.

It's sorta a dupe to the artist and the client.

Fastlaner2012

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Dec 23, 2011
Looking at Logo Mill sites, it sucks for those art school students that will have to turn to sites like this to low ball pricing just to pay rent. Well, it's pretty much spec work, you're competing against other designers and hope your design gets chosen for 150-400 dollars. Even if the prices get to $1000 and beyond you don't have a guarantee of your design being chosen. It's spec work, if you have some free time, it would be a good way to kill time and keep the creative juices flowing.
Some of the logos look safe, plain, and created out of desperation.

It's sorta a dupe to the artist and the client.

it is! i'd have to agree with you there since the probability of your design being picked over hundreds is pretty small. The fastlaners who are making money are the creators of the site that take out commissions on every single successful transaction.

Think FASTLANE!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.