The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Registering a derivatives trading company in Dubai for tax benefits

Kubera

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 25, 2019
This seems like a pretty complicated subject and eventually, I do plan to pay a KPMG-like tax advisory to get to the bottom of it. However, I thought let's see if anyone here has any experience with something similar, just to get a general idea.

I trade futures online (contracts on different things like commodities etc.) on a couple of exchanges and from next year I'd like to operate it under an LLC rather than as an individual trader. Mostly for any possible tax benefits, but also to separate myself legally from the money made from trading.

A quick search pointed to Dubai free zones, and that seems good as the tax rate is 0%.

So that part is ok, but as I wouldn't be a tax resident of Dubai(I'd be a tax resident of Croatia which has CFC rules), I'm not sure how the taxation would work and if there are any loopholes to use. Also, not sure does it even make sense to incorporate over there if those rules would cancel any possible tax benefits.

To make it a bit more complicated, I wouldn't be actually doing any business in Croatia(as in selling products or services within the country), as those transactions are made online, on the US exchanges.

Did anyone deal with a similar situation? As said, I know it's probably best to pay a local tax advisor to sort it out, but if anyone has any useful info, I'm listening.

@GlobalWealth , saw a couple of your posts, any thoughts on this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
This seems like a pretty complicated subject and eventually, I do plan to pay a KPMG-like tax advisory to get to the bottom of it. However, I thought let's see if anyone here has any experience with something similar, just to get a general idea.

I trade futures online (contracts on different things like commodities etc.) on a couple of exchanges and from next year I'd like to operate it under an LLC rather than as an individual trader. Mostly for any possible tax benefits, but also to separate myself legally from the money made from trading.

A quick search pointed to Dubai free zones, and that seems good as the tax rate is 0%.

So that part is ok, but as I wouldn't be a tax resident of Dubai(I'd be a tax resident of Croatia which has CFC rules), I'm not sure how the taxation would work and if there are any loopholes to use. Also, not sure does it even make sense to incorporate over there if those rules would cancel any possible tax benefits.

To make it a bit more complicated, I wouldn't be actually doing any business in Croatia(as in selling products or services within the country), as those transactions are made online, on the US exchanges.

Did anyone deal with a similar situation? As said, I know it's probably best to pay a local tax advisor to sort it out, but if anyone has any useful info, I'm listening.

@GlobalWealth , saw a couple of your posts, any thoughts on this?
If you are a tax resident of Croatia you are a taxable on worldwide income.

Under Croatia CFC rules, if you own or control 50%+ of a non-Croatian company then the profits of that company are attributed to you, even if you don't receive any profit distributions. Thus you would be taxable even if you didn't take the money.

I have a several Croatian tax consulting clients and there could be some options, but it is pretty complex and there are WAY to many variables that could be discussed on a public forum.

Caminsky

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Dec 27, 2022
Texas
If you are a tax resident of Croatia you are a taxable on worldwide income.

Under Croatia CFC rules, if you own or control 50%+ of a non-Croatian company then the profits of that company are attributed to you, even if you don't receive any profit distributions. Thus you would be taxable even if you didn't take the money.

I have a several Croatian tax consulting clients and there could be some options, but it is pretty complex and there are WAY to many variables that could be discussed on a public forum.
I know jack squat about Croatian taxes, but this lines up with what I have seen from other countries (as well as OECD model rules).

Kubera

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 25, 2019
So direct ownership in a company would be an issue, no matter where registered.

A possible solution might be to register another offshore (holding) company.

I haven't looked into it properly, but the logic is that offshore company A which does the actual trading is wholly owned by offshore company B which is a holding company(which doesn't make any profits, hence nothing to tax). Anything else(like real estate etc.) owned by A could be put under B(holding) for asset protection. I could be an employee of A, and pay some income tax, which would be fine with me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
So direct ownership in a company would be an issue, no matter where registered.

A possible solution might be to register another offshore (holding) company.

I haven't looked into it properly, but the logic is that offshore company A which does the actual trading is wholly owned by offshore company B which is a holding company(which doesn't make any profits, hence nothing to tax). Anything else(like real estate etc.) owned by A could be put under B(holding) for asset protection. I could be an employee of A, and pay some income tax, which would be fine with me.
There are too many variables to discuss on a public forum. This is not a problem you will solve on a forum. You need professional guidance.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.