The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Reflections on my past mindset and subsequent awakening

Anything related to matters of the mind

Cybria

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 3, 2014
Accra, Ghana
I'm not sure where to begin, but I felt compelled to write this. In the past few years, I have read a lot of material on mindset. That includes Mindset by Carol Dweck, Secrets of the Millionaire Mind, I Can Make You Rich by Paul McKenna, and The Power of Consistency by Weldon Long. I've also read books that have nothing to do with money like the Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown, and Self Compassion by Kristin Neff, yet they still espouse the same importance of having the right mindset in life. What I've come to realize is just how powerful a role the subconscious plays. It's our driving engine in life, and yet so few of us are really aware of that fact. Ignorance has its consequences. Many will never reach their dreams, hate themselves, and even attempt suicide because of their subconscious messages. Most of us will live life on autopilot, acting on the programming we've received for better or for worse.

It's been hard for me, but I've been unearthing a lot of the subconscious messages I've often held about money, and happiness in general. My dad was a jack of all trades, and before he left my mother, he was a real estate agent at the height of the housing boom. He was obsessed with making money. He talked about it all the time. But he was also verbally and physically abusive. He even took us to a church that taught the "word of faith" doctrine, the belief that God wants us all to be rich, and all you have to do is "speak it into existence." I hated going to that church. So I was resentful of money, wealth building, or anything remotely related for a long time. I just didn't want to think about anything that reminded me of my dad.

It's also been hard for me because I currently live in an African country. While I live in a capital city where there is a lot of modernity, poverty is still everywhere. The government minimum wage is a sickly $2.50 a day. Sometimes I feel fortunate that I have the means, knowledge, and drive to work online, make a good living, and live anywhere in the world I want. Other times I feel guilty over it. Other times I know the store owner or the taxi driver is over charging me because I'm a foreigner, but I just let it happen. Because even though I don't have much, I know I have more than they do. I've even sabotaged myself out of contracts because of my subconscious limiting beliefs.

At the same time though, I see the mindset effect at work here. A lot. It's human nature to live on autopilot and do what you were programmed to do as a child. People here talk a lot about how the government is corrupt and screwing them over, yet I see little action being taken in changing the way things are done. When talking about freelance writing, my local friend told me, "It's hard to do something that no one in your family has ever done." That friend now works at a pizza place for a pittance, when his writing skills could be earning him much more. This country could be so different if the people's mindset would change. Am I any different?

I've decided, put it firmly in my mind, that I want wealth. Eff all the negative messages I've received about wealth and prosperity growing up. I've been surrounded by people who want to be rich and always talk about it, but they barely do anything to attain that goal. I've been told that "money doesn't buy happiness" and "money isn't everything" by people who have limited outlooks on life. I've decided I won't be like my dad. I won't say that I want to be rich, then blow my money on clothes and cars. I have my "why," and that's financial freedom so that I can do what I want in life, contribute positively to business owners, and be a blessing to the people around me. My dad is now a gym assistant at 24 Hour Fitness. I've promised myself that I will do what it takes so that my story is different. And it all starts with transforming my mindset.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

NicoleMarie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
May 1, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
Sorry to hear about your terrible situation :/ you have absolutely come to the right place. Assuming you have read The Millionaire Fastlane , you will have the guidelines to massively skew the odds of success in your favor, as long as you always follow them.

There are even rich and famous people out there who started similarly to you, so you can do it! :)

Cybria

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 3, 2014
Accra, Ghana
Sorry to hear about your terrible situation :/ you have absolutely come to the right place. Assuming you have read The Millionaire Fastlane , you will have the guidelines to massively skew the odds of success in your favor, as long as you always follow them.

There are even rich and famous people out there who started similarly to you, so you can do it! :)

Thank you Nicole :) Yes I've read MFL and it has opened my mind to new possibilities. I keep a notebook nearby at all times to jot down ideas, and I'm moving forward with my plans.

TechMike

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
May 10, 2014
Southern Louisiana
Wealth in the hands of a disciplined moral person is probably one of the most beneficial things in existence. A person who can provide value and something meaningful to perhaps hundreds, thousands or millions of people is a very honorable thing. Once those resources have been pooled (the wealth of others), the same disciplined person can start to provide even more benefits beyond what were originally capable.

I am wanting to eventually start a very specialized, geographic specific fruit tree nursery, but it takes a lot of capital and time. Usually the capital is the weakest part, requiring time to make up the difference. (Lots and lots and lots of time. We're not talking 3-5 years, we're talking a decade or more).

Some of the best things in life require a lot of capital, time and determination, so I can see starting businesses, and getting other things going, before ultimately ending up where you might want to be.

NicoleMarie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
May 1, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
Thank you Nicole :) Yes I've read MFL and it has opened my mind to new possibilities. I keep a notebook nearby at all times to jot down ideas, and I'm moving forward with my plans.

No problem, and great! :) Same here, new ideas are just constantly popping up now. Good to know you are already progressing!

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Welcome and thanks for sharing. You're definitely in the right place. I suggest becoming an INSIDERS asap as it is a gold mine of information and action taking people making things happen.

Your "Why" will drive you and it may even change over time and that's ok.

Cybria

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 3, 2014
Accra, Ghana
Wealth in the hands of a disciplined moral person is probably one of the most beneficial things in existence. A person who can provide value and something meaningful to perhaps hundreds, thousands or millions of people is a very honorable thing. Once those resources have been pooled (the wealth of others), the same disciplined person can start to provide even more benefits beyond what were originally capable.

I am wanting to eventually start a very specialized, geographic specific fruit tree nursery, but it takes a lot of capital and time. Usually the capital is the weakest part, requiring time to make up the difference. (Lots and lots and lots of time. We're not talking 3-5 years, we're talking a decade or more).

Some of the best things in life require a lot of capital, time and determination, so I can see starting businesses, and getting other things going, before ultimately ending up where you might want to be.

Thanks Mike. Yes what I have in mind will be time intensive. It will take a lot of patience, and probably a lot of trial and error. Success will lie in my ability to stay the course.

Cybria

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 3, 2014
Accra, Ghana
Welcome and thanks for sharing. You're definitely in the right place. I suggest becoming an INSIDERS asap as it is a gold mine of information and action taking people making things happen.

Your "Why" will drive you and it may even change over time and that's ok.

Thanks for the advice. :) I keep hearing that I need to join INSIDERS. I definitely will, as soon as I've saved up enough.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.