The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Redesigning The Lighter?

AMCarbonaro

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Jul 28, 2011
Wayne County, Michigan
I have some friends that smoke, and they always loose their lighter. I have a idea that would prevent that. It would be a simple design change to a normal Bic lighter. If I was to sell it for the same price, would it be a success?

I don't know much about patents or anything. I've heard of provisional patents. But I was told people could still steal my idea. I feel this idea would be great, even if I just sell the idea, if that's even possible. I would like to start selling it as a product though.

If you guys could help me out, that would be great.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
Is it an addon to any lighter? or does it have to come with the bic lighter?

DavidofMN

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Apr 19, 2011
Stillwater, MN
License the idea to a company and have them develop it. There is a guy on this forum - Stephen Key - that talks about doing this very thing. One simple idea is his book. Look it up and read about him. Good luck.

David

kahem89

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jul 20, 2011
Norway, Oslo
Hey man, I do smoke, And if you made a lighter that sells in the grocery store with that added perk for a reasonable price I prolly would buy. And by reasonable i mean, not that much more than a avrage lighter. :)

Pat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 14, 2011
World Traveler
Is it one that attaches to the cigarette box? If yes, exists already.

Either way, good luck =)

AMCarbonaro

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Jul 28, 2011
Wayne County, Michigan
No when I say Bic lighter, I mean like a disposable lighter. Its a very simple change to the body of it. And I've seen additions to lighters, but this is a new design of the body, simple design. I just don't know how to get someone to make a prototype, and start selling them. And Ill take a look at One Simple Idea.

HenkHolland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 7, 2007
Please take into account that the manufacturers of lighters don't mind at all that people lose their lighters, because it translates into more sales for them.
So, will they be interested in licensing your 'loss-prevention' feature? I don't thiink so, at least not the big boys in the lighter industry. You may find a smaller player who may want to create a niche for himself.

Can you sell the 'loss-prevention' feature as an accessory for lighters? I realize it should be a low cost item, but in this way you will not depend on the willingness of lighter manufacurers.

crockbar

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Jul 5, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Now what I would do is forget about attaching to a bic lighter...those are sold cheap in multipacks and nobody cares if they lose them.

What I would do is maybe design a nicer version of your product to attach to nicer and more expensive lighter that people may really care about. you can sell it for more and make more money.

This may also be an easier market for you to go after. If you tried to sell your product near the bic lighters in mass market stores you will be paying thousands upon thousands of dollars in slotting fees and it will be extremely difficult to recoup that money.

AMCarbonaro

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Jul 28, 2011
Wayne County, Michigan
It is not a product that attaches to a lighter, it is a lighter, with a difference from other lighters.

Because It seems like it will cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to create and sell them, I might just license it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.