The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Reading is slowlane

Jav100

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jun 20, 2016
This post well timed. I have created a google document with a large reading list. But between my job, projects and life have had barely any time to execute any plans.

So I am shifting some time away from reading to executing.

Like others have said allot SOME time to reading and learning, 20-30 mins a day unless you have so much free time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Analyticz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2016
I agree with @MJ DeMarco. It is not inherently, although I know what @458 is saying. It is procrastination and sometimes people land up stuck in this area of just reading for 3 hours instead of taking action. Even if it is the smallest step. You don't need to read to know the next step you are kidding yourself.

oimate

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 8, 2015
Totally agree-I've been as guilty as anyone(and probably still am).
I cant go past a bookshop without invariably having a browse in the self help/business section and always tend to buy a book.

I probably have about 20 odd books still to be started-I know myself this is Procrastination!

Should we concentrate on one book at a time and banish the remaining to the attic and not allow oneself to open a new one until we've taken action on things learnt from the recently finished book?

airwalk111

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jan 22, 2017
Missouri, United States
I see a lot of readers and reading threads on the forums. Guess what? Reading is slowlane. Why? Because it's an easy trap that makes you think you're accomplishing something.

You should read because you have problems within your daily fastlane actions, period. You're searching for an answer to an execution problem, not searching for the next rush of enlightenment that leads to no action.

So to all of you reading books right now, put it down and start executing.
It is good to know that I should not be spending my time reading useless articles and books, but what about the books that are meant for teaching a subject? I can learn a lot from reading these books.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

HYMNic

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 1, 2017
Singapore
I am not sure entirely but being too focused on a singular subject and disregarding all else that doesn't apply to it might instead make you dull?

Am curious about everyone else's position on fiction books too.

G2TS-Man

Inventor / Entrepreneur
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 13, 2016
Somewhere in FRANCE
I am not sure entirely but being too focused on a singular subject and disregarding all else that doesn't apply to it might instead make you dull?

I'm passionated by reading financial and personnal devlopment books, but sometimes I read fiction book (Polar, esoteric, or fantastic, or science fiction)... it's give air to my brain and expand my imagination in general.

As 458 says, Reading is a learning tool for succes but never replace action, but It's also can be a real pleasure.

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 14, 2014

Nothing wrong with reading fiction and literature. It opens your mind to new possibilities, and it's fun. Reading a good story is a great way to unwind.

Look. I get what the OP is trying to say, that reading the next great idea isn't going to "do it" for you. Reading another guru's book isn't doing, it's stalling. That said the statement that "reading is slowlane" is absolute crap. Reading is a mental activity like no other. Reading can make you smarter. Mankind's ability to record what we have learned so that the next can come along and start where the last finished is why we as a species are living the benefits of knowledge accumulated over more than one life time. Reading is an intellectual pursuit. Watching sit-com's and tv drama is "slow lane." Looking at gifs of dancing kitties is stupid. Millions of morons are glued to their smartphones, and reading is what you want to harp on? Please.

JWelch

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Aug 12, 2016
Arizona
I have encouraged people that work for me to be voracious consumers of anything and everything written about business, about industry, and about their interests.

Reading expands your intelligence.

In the interest of full disclosure, my daughter who many of you heard on our Podcasts is in the final stages of her Masters in Library Science.

I think reading and applying your learned knowledge to new paradigms is the only way to change lanes. Becoming an intelligent consumer of media is a requirement for personal development and advancement.
What's the name of your podcast?

G2TS-Man

Inventor / Entrepreneur
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 13, 2016
Somewhere in FRANCE
I wonder how many folks putting down reading, literally can't focus enough TO read without their mind wandering or falling asleep as well? No wonder they want to put it down:)
I wonder too, but at the start of my reader life (7yr ago) I was in this case... Sometimes, READING, I talk about REAL READING with Focusing and absorbing what's on, need determination :)

Torobaro

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Mar 30, 2016
Spain
I think Mark Cuban said he reads 3 hours per day. But he doesn't read motivational books on self-improvement. He reads magazines in his industry, user manuals, etc. He reads the boring shit nobody else does to stay updated on technology and advancements in his line of work. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Just said the same thing!

I might be wrong but in the beginning of his book he says he does reads motivational books. He says something like "reading all the books about successful people he could grab", and yes also all the boring shit you mention also

Van Halen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Mar 3, 2017
United Kingdom
I see a lot of readers and reading threads on the forums. Guess what? Reading is slowlane. Why? Because it's an easy trap that makes you think you're accomplishing something.

You should read because you have problems within your daily fastlane actions, period. You're searching for an answer to an execution problem, not searching for the next rush of enlightenment that leads to no action.

Like most things it's moderation and balance. Reading is good for feeding your mind. Personally I read before I sleep, thats it

Van Halen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Mar 3, 2017
United Kingdom
Like most things it's moderation and balance. Reading is good for feeding your mind. Personally I read before I sleep, thats it
But on the back of that, Warren Buffet read 5 hours a day; everything and anything he could on Investing from age 10ish (can't remember) to 19.

beaskew88

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 8, 2017
Detroit, Michigan
Reading is alright if you're using it to get the edge on competition. Reading about emerging social media platforms or finances is a dope thing.

If you're reading materials for coaching and mindset, you shouldn't be reading those at all. It's time lost, since there is a 90% chance that there is an audiobook version that you could be listening to instead. That way whenever you're settled you can spend that time executing or even listen to the content while executing your business.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas

Siberia

Surprise
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Apr 30, 2016
Siberia
The BRAIN works for ASSOCIATIONS, brain thinking process takes place automatically and independently of our will '.

And this whether you like it or not.

Either you are a person with a life of a variety 'and intensity' special or otherwise you have to provide the opportunity 'to activate this process.

You can not just PENETRATE with sustained action but you have also ACCOMMODATE.

Most of INSIGHTS, of which we are in constant search, they arrive automatically for ASSOCIATION of ideas, opinions, images, themes, details.

This KNOW HOW it 's never enough !!!

Unless you are a LEGEND or the personification of chimera the so-called "ALWAYS ON".

Reading in the FastLane process 'an energy recharge, information and associations, the food for our UNCONSCIOUS that the switches in the so-called CREATIVITY' and you will not let us feel alone. Reading and 'an energy recovery break unconscious that increases your chances' in the making.

The behavior, as you call it, of reading to get the theoretical sense of doing something, not 'the real basic action of FastLane process, and' something quite different and easy to correct.

The READING is SlowLane when you read the things right ............ but if you read "THE RIGHT THINGS and 'FASTLANE".

Last edited:

MoreVolume

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 6, 2016
NC
Reading is alright if you're using it to get the edge on competition. Reading about emerging social media platforms or finances is a dope thing.

If you're reading materials for coaching and mindset, you shouldn't be reading those at all. It's time lost, since there is a 90% chance that there is an audiobook version that you could be listening to instead. That way whenever you're settled you can spend that time executing or even listen to the content while executing your business.
i dont believe that at all bro
When I read I like to jot down notes, and sometimes re-read something that I think is very important, or unclear the first time I read it
I wouldn't be able to do that with an audiobook

Striver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Mar 23, 2017
USA
I admit, reading too much on how to make money is definitely distracting me from making money. But at least I try to ONLY read things that will help me make money.

Evil_Jester

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
I don't read anymore. I listen to audiobooks when driving. It's unbelievable how quickly I go through books now

LucasJames

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Feb 2, 2017
Uk
I posted this is another thread, but I'll post it here...

You are presented with a problem. Fixing the problem will get you started in a business, maybe make you a fortune.

The problem you have is this: What is 6 X 3? Or 6 multiplied by 3?

Assuming you don't know the answer, should you continue reading books? And if so, which book should be read next?

1) Think and Grow Rich
2) The Millionaire Fastlane
3) Zero to One by Peter Thiel
4) Arithmetic: The Basics
5) Build a Killer Business by Killing Social Media

So dont seek answers to questions that havent been asked of you. Read what applies to your current situation or the current problem you face.

If you go looking for information that isnt applicable to your current situation, then you are wasting time, when you could be taking action.

Siberia

Surprise
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Apr 30, 2016
Siberia
TV is not slow lane, its moon walking.

STOLTZK
your phrase is more' poetic I've ever read about the TV.

Oh yeah ..... moon walking!!!

Please continue to walk on the moon as well.

I imagine the scene: you on your couch, cola, beer, hamburger, the lunar screen ......

Fantastic

A very sweet time: blonde, brunette....

Instead of fig leaf a $100 $

Moon walking?

But ..... but it is a walk!!!!!

Dear Friend guess where you usually walk or stroll ....

in SLOWLANE of course!!!

I prefer to overtake you by side with my Ferrari in the magical FASTLANE ....

Looking at the lunar screen of his thrilling dash. :hilarious:

Last edited:

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France

LOL. this title is awesome.

by the way, don't be scared that people read too much while doing nothing

because very few people really read at all in 2017

i am talking about real books , not romance, novels books and all this crap

only 3 % of american people own a public library card

when i go to my favourite library, i can always find what i want because nobody cares

i just bought a very important and rare book for only 20 buck because nobody cares

it is a blessing because all this power will be used when time comes

masters vs pawns : 1-0 checkmate

Frankie Relax

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
May 1, 2015
Italy
I think that, except few notable exceptions (of course, TMF is one of those! ) , reading is a total waste of time, money and effort.

Why? Because reading is a consumer-mind action. Real producers don't read, thay sell books people read (and maybe buy...)

I published 10 books. Well, I'm not getting rich with them, but sometimes I get some sales and that's good because it is basically passive income.

Instead, I read more 1000 books and - besides the exceptions already mentioned above - none of them enriched me. I'd say, approximately, that about 90% of them were a total crap. Obviously, starting with school books!

What if, instead of reading 1000 and publishing 10 books, I had done the exact opposite, publishing 1000 and reading 10? I guess I would be far richer now.

Thus, if you read - almost always - the only people to earn on it are the author, the publishing company (if not self-published) and the bookstore (if not sold autonomously by the author).

It's the same ol' story. The producer mindset vs. the consumer mindset.

policebaton

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Apr 3, 2017
florida
I think I get your point, and like the beginning responses touched on... a lot of books are sooo watered down it really stinks. It's just because large publishing companies know that around 300 pages is the most profitable middle ground for most books. It's no coincidence that most books are around that length lol.

But there are some that aren't watered down with stories, and are either 150 or even 500 pages jam packed with goodies.

Frankie Relax

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
May 1, 2015
Italy
Dan Pena once said "Reading is an excuse for not pulling the trigger"

That quote was a wake-up-call for me. I've read hundreds of books
- mostly self-help, business, science, classics etc. A few years ago I noticed
that although I had read all these books, there was no forward momentum in my life
where I was using the information. I was really caught in an analysis paralysis,
and had a false sense of accomplishment because of reading.
Reading probably got you into the fastlane.

And dont get me wrong, we should all be grateful for living in this era of information.

BUT our society overvalues readers, "dont watch tv, read a good book" "read the news" is what
you're told. Like reading a fictional story is any better than watching a soap-opera.
Thinkers and those who can hold an intelligent discourse are seen as top tier in our hierarchy -
Doers not so much..

Despite the fact that those who dirty their hands and put in the work - provide the basic foundation for this
kind of infrastructure to even exist. Knowing too much, or thinking that you know - can be a hindrance too.
Believing in something firmly makes the mind rigid - and makes it harder to think outside the box. Questioning your
own beliefs creates cognitive dissonance.

Henry Ford's engineers said to him that it's impossible to build an engine
with the eight cylinders in one block. Ford said "Produce it anyway"..the rest is history. This is a prime example where the engineers who "knew" better because of their education and booksmarts that something was impossible. So reading can also limit you.

One of the best experiments for a book-junkie like me has been the "not reading the news" experiment, coined by the serial entrepreneur Peter Sage.
I've not read any news for a year now, and it has been one of the best decisions in my life. If something is worth knowing, people will discuss about it anyway..
"How do you know what's happening then", well everything's happening anyway - I don't need to fill my mind with war zone news from around the world. News rarely benefit your sphere of reality, or business. This experiment has made my focus even more action-oriented, since there's no useless clutter in my mind.

I highly recommend audiobooks, since you can listen to them almost anywhere. Nowadays my life is 80% action, 20% reading, and I can guarantee its way more impactful than the 80% reading 20% action way which I used to live...

Reading and constantly growing as a person is a virtue, but only if you apply what you know in the real world - and bring value to those around you.
So please remember to pull the trigger!

I totally agree with your post.

Omerroz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Mar 31, 2017
israel
you need to start from something..
if you read you can get the knowledge to your business

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.