The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Reading faster

Rafal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 14, 2011
Warsaw, Poland
I would like to read faster - and I know there are different methods. What method / product would you recommend - and why?

Rafal

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Primzi

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2011
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Hey there,

it is true that there are a lot of different methods, but since people are different, you have to find out which one works best for you. You can do this by first acquiring the basics of speed reading(using a pointer, switching from word-by-word reading to block-by-block, getting rid of returning back to the sentences you've already read...) and then trying out different techniques until you find one that suits you best. After that, you should just do frequent drills to sustain your reading speed or increase it even further. Reading a lot helps too (while exercising, in the bathroom, while waiting in a line at the post office/grocery store...). It is actually fairly simple to double/triple your reading speed and improve comprehension, but it does take a little bit of commitment and consistency.

I would recommend the following books:

-Speed Readingy by Tony Buzan
-Breakthrough Rapid Reading by Peter Kump

-Primzi

Clenjamin

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Nov 13, 2011
NY
I read or seem to read quick when I really get into the book and focus on it. The pages just seem to fly right by. Alot of these business books aren't made to be read fast they have alot of info in them so i would say slow down and soak the info in.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
I don't know if this qualifies as reading faster or not, but I'm a huge fan of audiobooks.

I can listen to a book and learn when I'm driving, exercising, or flying. It turns down time into up time.

Me too. It's faster than anything, and as opposed to fast reading, which, I imagine, takes out some of the joy from reading, listening to an audiobook (narrated by decent speaker) actually adds to the pleasure.

Plus you get to rest your eyes, as many of us stare at the monitor long hours for this or that reason.

Siberia

Surprise
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Apr 30, 2016
Siberia
Hey there,

it is true that there are a lot of different methods, but since people are different, you have to find out which one works best for you. You can do this by first acquiring the basics of speed reading(using a pointer, switching from word-by-word reading to block-by-block, getting rid of returning back to the sentences you've already read...) and then trying out different techniques until you find one that suits you best. After that, you should just do frequent drills to sustain your reading speed or increase it even further. Reading a lot helps too (while exercising, in the bathroom, while waiting in a line at the post office/grocery store...). It is actually fairly simple to double/triple your reading speed and improve comprehension, but it does take a little bit of commitment and consistency.

I would recommend the following books:

-Speed Readingy by Tony Buzan
-Breakthrough Rapid Reading by Peter Kump

-Primzi
Me too. It's faster than anything, and as opposed to fast reading, which, I imagine, takes out some of the joy from reading, listening to an audiobook (narrated by decent speaker) actually adds to the pleasure.

Plus you get to rest your eyes, as many of us stare at the monitor long hours for this or that reason.

Primzi Hello, I just saw now your post. I started using the fast reading a year ago linking it to storage techniques with mind maps. I started by Tony Buzan books. I trained and have more 'than tripled my speed' reading with a good understanding. Then I discussed the issue with two Italian authors. Matteo Salvo and Giacomo Bruno. They are the evolution of the pioneering work done by Buzan. Salvo for its technical innovative storage and Bruno for more 'modern speed reading techniques. Now I'm investigating ways to create me an important mental filing cabinet with over 100 drawers to put all of my arguments and notes. Finding them right away when I need. Have you made this experience?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I just skim books now.

If something jumps out as a new concept I'll read more closely until it proves to be nonsense, BS, or useful.

For completely unique ideas or stuff I've not encountered I'll listen to audio books or read the whole thing carefully.

You could try what Seth Godin does and read the first 10% or so. Then if you feel the book's point seems legit, you're done. Everything after that is just fluff to support the author's point. (His words, not mine.)

Siberia

Surprise
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Apr 30, 2016
Siberia
I just skim books now.

If something jumps out as a new concept I'll read more closely until it proves to be nonsense, BS, or useful.

For completely unique ideas or stuff I've not encountered I'll listen to audio books or read the whole thing carefully.

You could try what Seth Godin does and read the first 10% or so. Then if you feel the book's point seems legit, you're done. Everything after that is just fluff to support the author's point. (His words, not mine.)

I agree on the approach priority to reading any text. Our priorities' always make the difference. Maybe I have not explained well. I asked you if in your experience have joined the fast reading to other storage techniques. The speed 'we need not only in reading but also in the correct management of multiple tasks. I'm creating as a mental filing cabinet drawer tool to store and resume quickly: themes, topics, information, notes, etc. I read a text, make a mental map, I put the keywords of the map in a drawer of my mental file cabinet. When I need to resume quickly, and I easily remember the topic.

nichiseven

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Mar 1, 2016
I was a Tony Buzan kid. It really did help me.

EDIT: Whoops, sorry OP. I didn't read your post fully. I recommend it because it helped me understand how my brain functioned and how to get the most out of reading. I was 11 when my mother handed me Use Your Head (and then later The Mind Map Book). I could already read well, but she got tired of me complaining about the fact I had so many books I wanted to read yet it took me forever to finish them. That's why I recommend them. Maybe his material will work for you too.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.