The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Reading books?

Lee Wright

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Feb 28, 2018
Orange, NSW, Australia
Hey guy I'm a young male looking to improve himself. Quick question do any of you read books? Follow up question is audiobooks the same thing?
Absolutely. I pretty much only do audio books. With Audible you pay about $US10 a month & get a free audiobook each month. It has been a huge encouragement to me. I travel a lot so I just pop on an audiobook & the hours just fly by. After Millionaire Fastlane some of my favourites would be:
-80/20 Sales & Marketing
-Secrets of the Millionaire Mind
-Outliers

It just amazes me that a successful person can spend many years or even a lifetime gaining wisdom & experience & you can buy it for $10 or $20. They might have spent millions getting that knowledge. Best value ever.

Siddhartha

Pleasure Operator
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Mar 30, 2019
Welcome man,

Audiobooks are pretty unique, in that it's hard to re-read anything if you tune it out so you may be missing out on information. If you go for walks, or listen to audiobooks on commutes (especially commutes), they're great ways to absorb lighter non-fiction books. This is mostly because most of these books are 4-6 sentences of core ideas blown out to 200 pages with supporting anecdotes.
Physical books are nice, but you will need to lug them around, read them, and deal with people constantly coming up to you and asking you "what are you reading!?". I know in my case, with my old reading method, I used to find the bigger 300+ page books intimidating. Things is, physical books will give you an edge when it comes to information capture and recall, and just the heft of the book can enforce some lower-level psychology into play to help recall.

So honestly, take your pick, I personally prefer audiobooks, while a few men I know vastly prefer hardbacks and kindles. As long as you take action in proportion, it doesn't hurt to read.

P3HSB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 27, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
books, if used correctly can propel your career in ways you never could imagine. You can download the minds of successful people and save yourself the mistakes they have taken.

On the other hand, reading book after book without applying the knowledge is just mental masturbation

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Audiobooks are pretty unique, in that it's hard to re-read anything if you tune it out so you may be missing out on information.

Same here, my mind wanders & miss a lot. Can't do that with the printed word, you just stop reading while you trip & you're in the same place when you're ready to read again.

I don't know how people drive & listen to audiobooks.

Also you can read much faster than someone speaks.

Have you ever had someone read you something when you can see the print?

You're done way before they finish.

Sight is our primary sense.
And contrary to certain beliefs, we can't multi task.

Audio is supposedly good for subliminal learning though.

Jessica Reid

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Apr 9, 2020
New Jersey
Hey guy I'm a young male looking to improve himself. Quick question do any of you read books? Follow up question is audiobooks the same thing?

Reading books are great especially if you are trying to work on your mindset but if you are serious about buckling down on a business idea and moving the needle to bring your business venture to fruition, then don't read books just to read books. As @MJ DeMarco said in an interview, "read the book that will help you get to the next step." (sorry..I've just about digested every interview and podcast he's ever done. I became obsessed with his message after reading Unscripted haha). Anyway, become a problem solver and you will see things change in your life. I hope your hope is for things to CHANGE and become BETTER in your life, and not something that will give you a temporary high or a temporal but illusionary sense of accomplishment.

That said, I don't knock what anybody else has said on the thread. I love some of the books that people on here have given a shout out to. It's great to be informed and have knowledge in several different disciplines and fields (finance, investing, productivity, etc.). Just keep the above in mind.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

juresesko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia
The right book will change your life and the way you look at it

I've started reading 3 months ago and I read 14 books.
They got me here on this forum, I found out what I want to do with my life...

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
I cannot talk about audiobooks because I prefer the written version. But yes, you should read. Not too much that at the end you don't accomplished anything because you only read, but enough to start the engine and get something done. You can learn a lot when you read someone who get there where you want to be.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.