The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Read your contracts!!!!!!

D

DeletedUser394

Today I received my bill for my Wireless Internet Stick. I was expecting to pay $59.99.

I neglected to read the fine print, where you are charged $0.03/MB once I go over a certain amount (5 GB).

I opened the bill....and AFTER ONE MONTH, I owe $452.25.

Read the fine print in all your business contracts, you won't regret it :smx4:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Novus

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
Nov 18, 2010
Calgary, Alberta
Great, it's called common sense.

In most cases, if you fight with them (like I do) they will most likely reduce it or give you the credit for it. You have leverage here.

But obviously, from my past experiences having dealt with you, I do not like you very much. I've had a great plan in mind and what did you choose to do? You decided to completely ignore me. All you babbled was about how you were planning on investing in real estate... with what money!??!? You're only 18. Just because I'm 16, you think that I probably haven't reached the maturity level of adults so you're quick to jump to conclusions then.

Having said that, I am not aware of your motives or if you have something against me, but that's just my perspective of you.

Anyways, enough of my rant.

If you're with any of the big 4 (Rogers, Fido, Telus, Bell), call them and tell them that you want to be transferred to the retentions department. (This is where you have leverage) say that this is outrageous, it was never explained to you and you would have never gone over if they were going to charge that much. Say that, if you are going to pay this much in the first place, why wouldn't I just cancel my contract and pay the cancellation fees because that would be cheaper.

D

DeletedUser394

Jeez.

I'm not interested in the automotive sector. The end. It has nothing to do with maturity levels. We're practically the same age, and I joined this forum when I was your age. It's nothing personal, but I have absolutely no interest in your industry.

However, mature people don't bitch about rejections. You'll face plenty of them on your journey. Get over it, and move on.

From what you told me, you have plenty of senior investors ("with 20+ years of experience") lined up, so you'll do just fine.

This thread wasn't about asking for advice. It was simply for the sake of poking fun at my lack of judgement in that situation. I've already rectified the problem with Rogers. I appreciate the advice anyway, it's good to know.

This might help your plan along. If it's as great as you say (I don't doubt your sincerity, I simply wasn't interested... I have so many new things going on (as a result of taking action) that I completely forgot about our conversation. I'm active on over two dozen forums, it's hard to keep track, and I apologize), you should be doing all you can to make your plan a reality;

http://www.fastlaneentrepreneurs.com/2010/i-had-that-idea-oh-yea-stfu/

MikeC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Great, it's called common sense.

In most cases, if you fight with them (like I do) they will most likely reduce it or give you the credit for it. You have leverage here.

But obviously, from my past experiences having dealt with you, I do not like you very much. I've had a great plan in mind and what did you choose to do? You decided to completely ignore me. All you babbled was about how you were planning on investing in real estate... with what money!??!? You're only 18. Just because I'm 16, you think that I probably haven't reached the maturity level of adults so you're quick to jump to conclusions then.

Having said that, I am not aware of your motives or if you have something against me, but that's just my perspective of you.

Anyways, enough of my rant.

If you're with any of the big 4 (Rogers, Fido, Telus, Bell), call them and tell them that you want to be transferred to the retentions department. (This is where you have leverage) say that this is outrageous, it was never explained to you and you would have never gone over if they were going to charge that much. Say that, if you are going to pay this much in the first place, why wouldn't I just cancel my contract and pay the cancellation fees because that would be cheaper.

Bringing your personal problems with another forum member into the public forums is not helping you prove your maturity. Use a private message.

On Topic:

Contracts scare the hell out of me. I have this mode that my brain goes into called 'contract mode.' I'm sure I'm not the only one who has this problem. As soon as I start reading a contract, my mind wanders. It's only a problem with contracts, so I think that I've been raised to believe that reading a contract is impossible, and that I shouldn't even bother trying. Damn you society, damn you! ;)

I'm going to need to make a contract, or rather terms of agreement for my new idea. I guess we'll see how that goes.

D

DeletedUser394

Haha, Mike I tried to give you Speed+ but it says I have to spread it around before I can give you more points xD

Novus

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
Nov 18, 2010
Calgary, Alberta
Jeez.

I'm not interested in the automotive sector. The end. It has nothing to do with maturity levels. We're practically the same age, and I joined this forum when I was your age. It's nothing personal, but I have absolutely no interest in your industry.

However, mature people don't bitch about rejections. You'll face plenty of them on your journey. Get over it, and move on.

From what you told me, you have plenty of senior investors ("with 20+ years of experience") lined up, so you'll do just fine.

This thread wasn't about asking for advice. It was simply for the sake at poking fun at my lack of judgement in that situation. I've already rectified the problem with Rogers. I appreciate the advice anyway, it's good to know.

This might help your plan along. If it's as great as you say (I don't doubt your sincerity, I simply wasn't interested... I have so many new things going on (as a result of taking action) that I completely forgot about our conversation. I'm active on over two dozen forums, it's hard to keep track, and I apologize), you should be doing all you can to make your plan a reality;

I Had That Idea! Oh Yea? STFU! | Fastlane Entrepreneurs

No, it wasn't about that. It was the fact that you ignored all of my messages and never got back to me. It was only one message explaining my idea. A simple, No would have sufficed

Bringing your personal problems with another forum member into the public forums is not helping you prove your maturity. Use a private message.

On Topic:

Contracts scare the hell out of me. I have this mode that my brain goes into called 'contract mode.' I'm sure I'm not the only one who has this problem. As soon as I start reading a contract, my mind wanders. It's only a problem with contracts, so I think that I've been raised to believe that reading a contract is impossible, and that I shouldn't even bother trying. Damn you society, damn you! ;)

I'm going to need to make a contract, or rather terms of agreement for my new idea. I guess we'll see how that goes.

I have, and guess what? No responses. Because of my age, most people ignored me or have tried to take advantage of me and I've always hated that feeling. I guess it was miscommunication between us. Sorry Ryan! I hope we're still good :p

Novus

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
Nov 18, 2010
Calgary, Alberta
Haha, Mike I tried to give you Speed+ but it says I have to spread it around before I can give you more points xD

You know what, I've gone ahead and done that for you! Again, My bad. Too bad Mike had to quote my entire post so that it would be pointless for me to erase it. I feel like such an a$$ right now :(

D

DeletedUser394

I can totally relate with that.
Yeah, there's no hard feelings on my end. It's hard to gage a person's intentions over the internet. I didn't mean to be rude, I literally got sidetracked and forgot. (I checked my inbox after you posted the first reply)

It's all good.

Novus

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
Nov 18, 2010
Calgary, Alberta
Well after 1 PM your opinion really changed and you really want to get to know me eh?

Anyways, I'm free everyday. Maybe I can help you solve your overage issues as well.

I'm off to bed now. Cya!

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Wow that's insane! Glad I've got an unlimited data plan, even though I don't really use YouTube anymore on my iPhone so I probably don't need much more than 200MB/mo, but looking at those fees, I'll stick to $30/mo for unlimited rather than $15 for a 50-200MB/mo plan with the potential for insane overage charges.

As for a real-life example of business contracts, since you've got access to the Speedway(I apologize for anyone who doesn't, however, I have my own privacy concerns in this matter), check out my thread: Business Contract Attorney Referral - Phoenix Area

I'm hoping to have this issue resolved prior to making a commitment and I'll get to see first-hand how much professional contract review and any necessary amendments will cost. So far I've got 5 local attorneys targeted and signed up for 2 attorney finder lead-generation services, one is national(Legalmatch.com) and the other is local to my county(maricopabar.org), both of which I opted against releasing my contact info to the attorneys, I'd rather know who they are first than have some DUI or Bankruptcy lawyer who only dabbles in Business Law contact me looking for my business.

Last edited by a moderator:

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Novus, not sure if you read the general rules of the forum, but it mentions something to the effect of "leave the victim mentality out of here" It's really not going to get you anywhere and the last place you want to leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth is on a forum full of people willing to help answer GOOD questions free of charge at any given time of the day.

P.S. Ryan, time to do some more youtube videos to pay off that bill im assuming?

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Let's get this thread back to adult discussion.

I've had an ongoing side brainstorm on contracts from the general consumer point of view. I think there is an opportunity there but haven't quite fleshed it out yet.

Companies spend tons of money on initial contracts and sending you all those 20 page fine print updates every once in awhile. (mobile phone, credit cards, EULA's, etc...) The company can spread their legal costs out over hundreds, thousands, or millions of customers so it isn't much for them per customer. But each consumer has to figure it out on their own. It wouldn't pay to hire an attorney to interpret any of the BS we get so we basically ignore it, much to our own potential detriment. But is there an oppty to monetize a site where the contracts are explained and interpreted for consumers to access?

I am wondering how I might seize an opportunity by having major consumer contracts interpreted ahead of time ready for consumers to access easily. (phone app and web site, search for contract "sprint" and able to read the summary and points to look out for.) It is a potential great unfilled need. The challenge is many times the fine print is presented at the time of purchase (online or in person) and the consumer may not take the time to go to some site for a contract review. Maybe there is plenty of oppty in areas where consumers would take the time to get the cliffs notes on major consumer contracts.

Thinkin Consumer Reports meets Cliff's notes.

If the government (FDA) requires food manufacturers to break their products down to standard nutrition facts panels you'd think they'd require consumer companies to break down contracts in easier to understand format. Then again, our government is run by lawyers who get lobbied by lawyers. Therein lies a potential oppty if it could be done right. any thoughts?

MikeC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Let's get this thread back to adult discussion.

I've had an ongoing side brainstorm on contracts from the general consumer point of view. I think there is an opportunity there but haven't quite fleshed it out yet.

Companies spend tons of money on initial contracts and sending you all those 20 page fine print updates every once in awhile. (mobile phone, credit cards, EULA's, etc...) The company can spread their legal costs out over hundreds, thousands, or millions of customers so it isn't much for them per customer. But each consumer has to figure it out on their own. It wouldn't pay to hire an attorney to interpret any of the BS we get so we basically ignore it, much to our own potential detriment. But is there an oppty to monetize a site where the contracts are explained and interpreted for consumers to access?

I am wondering how I might seize an opportunity by having major consumer contracts interpreted ahead of time ready for consumers to access easily. (phone app and web site, search for contract "sprint" and able to read the summary and points to look out for.) It is a potential great unfilled need. The challenge is many times the fine print is presented at the time of purchase (online or in person) and the consumer may not take the time to go to some site for a contract review. Maybe there is plenty of oppty in areas where consumers would take the time to get the cliffs notes on major consumer contracts.

Thinkin Consumer Reports meets Cliff's notes.

If the government (FDA) requires food manufacturers to break their products down to standard nutrition facts panels you'd think they'd require consumer companies to break down contracts in easier to understand format. Then again, our government is run by lawyers who get lobbied by lawyers. Therein lies a potential oppty if it could be done right. any thoughts?

That is an awesome idea. You could have a database full of interpretations of all the most popular contracts (phone bills, internet bills, etc), so readers could just find the major ones if they're looking for something quick.

Then you could have a section where the reader pastes the contract, and you could hire an excellent lawyer to help you explain the whole contract in layman's terms for like $20.

ReadMyContracts.com is available.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Yep, was thinking of more popular ones so one translation of the legalese would be applicable to hundreds or thousands to get some economies of scale from the legal costs. I'd prob want to partner w/ a law firm so they would do the work for equity or very low cost for some piece of the action.

Thanks for the domain suggestion, that is a good one! (SPEED!!!)

The custom contract stuff prob would be a different animal. That's where you get into more costly individual hourly work that doesn't leverage across thousands of people. Perhaps for that have an open auction for custom legal services for the part time lawyers out there like there is for programming by the job or like lending tree. Of course it would need to be for more simple standard stuff. Actually could be a good way for legal firms to get new clients. Put their Jr legal eagles on smaller jobs and develop a relationship w/ client.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.