The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
I've been making a few things out of hypertufa.

The economics is a little mind bending. Hear me out.

If I go to the grocery store, it costs $8 for a 2 or 3 pound bag of vegetables.

At the hardware store, the same $8 gets me a 94 pound bag of portland cement. That's a lot of cement. And whatever I make out of the cement (plus perlite/vermiculite and fiber/moss/coconut-hair mixed in) lasts over 100 years. The vegetables start to spoil in about 100 hours.

Anyway, cement is not vegetable obviously, but for the price of a few peppers and tomatoes you can make things out of cement that have long-term utility value. It just kindof amazes me that it's so cheap. I'll still be eating my peppers and tomatoes, but I can't look at them now without thinking "that's 4 raised bed gardens, or a large grinding stone, or 25 pots, or a home made millstone, or... or..."

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
I've been making a few things out of hypertufa.

The economics is a little mind bending. Hear me out.

If I go to the grocery store, it costs $8 for a 2 or 3 pound bag of vegetables.

At the hardware store, the same $8 gets me a 94 pound bag of portland cement. That's a lot of cement. And whatever I make out of the cement (plus perlite/vermiculite and fiber/moss/coconut-hair mixed in) lasts over 100 years. The vegetables start to spoil in about 100 hours.

Anyway, cement is not vegetable obviously, but for the price of a few peppers and tomatoes you can make things out of cement that have long-term utility value. It just kindof amazes me that it's so cheap. I'll still be eating my peppers and tomatoes, but I can't look at them now without thinking "that's 4 raised bed gardens, or a large grinding stone, or 25 pots, or a home made millstone, or... or..."
I do something similar when I’m looking to buy things. If something costs 10 dollars. I think, if I purchase this, what I’m actually exchanging is 30 minutes of my life (assuming I make 20/hour). This life - hours/earned - price comparison helps me make decisions at times.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Man, I feel so good today!

I was grabbing a cup of coffee from the Starbucks drive-through a few moments ago and when I got to the window, the person in-front of me paid for my drink and the message was, “Have a happy Sunday!”.

Wow! What a thoughtful gift from somebody I don’t know. :)

To give it forward, I paid for the person’s drink behind me.

I’m in a good mood haha

Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Anyone ever have this happen to them?

I'm running a give away to sample my products and went to deliver the sample, 8:00pm and I called the person to which they said they are in bed & didn't even come down to get it.

Black list them?

G

Guest1413tpa

Anyone ever have this happen to them?

I'm running a give away to sample my products and went to deliver the sample, 8:00pm and I called the person to which they said they are in bed & didn't even come down to get it.

Black list them?
I cannot imagine having a 8pm bed time.

G

Guest1413tpa

I hate the WSJ but sometimes they put out a good story.

The problem with this is, its hard for me to feel sorry for these people. They chose to believe the lies of society/the economy and take that $820 a month payment for a F-150, or an insane mortgage.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I cannot imagine having a 8pm bed time.

lol that's what I thought... they said,'' try again '' tomorrow, which makes me think to not even bother dealing with them.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Just wanted to share someones youtube channel for all the car people on here

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AscuVYThvI

Frank Stephenson is an American automobile designer widely known for his design work at BMW, Mini, Ferrari, Maserati, Fiat, Lancia, Alfa Romeo, and McLaren. Motor Trend magazine has called him "one of the most influential automotive designers of our time". Wikipedia

@Xeon

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Just wanted to share someones youtube channel for all the car people on here

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AscuVYThvI

Frank Stephenson is an American automobile designer widely known for his design work at BMW, Mini, Ferrari, Maserati, Fiat, Lancia, Alfa Romeo, and McLaren. Motor Trend magazine has called him "one of the most influential automotive designers of our time". Wikipedia

@Xeon
Great vid. Also, this guy draws with ordinary black pen.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
An uncle that called you "shit" a couple years ago, now wants you to copy your business under a different brand for him and wants you to do all the work?

What the hell is wrong with this world.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
An uncle that called you "shit" a couple years ago, now wants you to copy your business under a different brand for him and wants you to do all the work?

Ditch that mess. Wow.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Ha Ha, yea sure, let me get right on that. Better, why don't I just write you a check for a few thousand per month and call this for what it is?

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Great vid. Also, this guy draws with ordinary black pen.

It's amazing how people have such amazing talent, whenever I draw something it looks like it was done by a drunk 5 year old.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

You need to tell us how this whole conversation went, word for word!

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA

You should prank him. Complete with a surprise party while simultaneously being presented a jumbo lottery style check for start up funds and a 100 step action plan hand written on a napkin.

Last edited:
G

Guest-5ty5s4

It's amazing how people have such amazing talent, whenever I draw something it looks like it was done by a drunk 5 year old.

ive always been great at drawing things by hand, but it never opened up any kind of business or income opportunities, just a fun hobby to have. Having “talent” might seem useful, but honestly, it can be dwarfed entirely by hard work in other areas.
Too bad too because drawing is super fun.

Edit: drawing is very useful for prototyping or getting ideas communicated though. I use sketches all the time to communicate ideas at work

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
You should prank him. Complete with a surprise party while simultaneously being presented a jumbo lottery style check for start up funds and a 100 step action plan hand written on a napkin.

@MoneyDoc sign him up for Publisher's Clearing House.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Ha Ha, yea sure, let me get right on that. Better, why don't I just write you a check for a few thousand per month and call this for what it is?
This is why I wish people around me didn't know about the shit I had going on.
Pisses me off. When you're at your lowest, no one fcking remembers. Even your cousins, uncles, aunts, yeah they say hi to you, but that's it. Now all of a sudden I'm obligated to help them.
You need to tell us how this whole conversation went, word for word!
Haha I'll never forget.

"Hey, help me start a brand. Let's come up with a different name and copy your products. We'll own the market. This will be your company too man. We'll have it under my name and my accounts. Then we'll start another company, we'll copy the same products and we'll do it under my wife's name. We'll own the industry bro".

Lmfao. If only business was that easy. It's kind of insulting to me actually. I spent over two years busting my a$$ off. Days where I was on the brink of closing everything. Days where I didn't have one cent to make my phone bill as I maxed out my credit cards for inventory. This is the problem with 99% of the population, they don't understand what it takes. They just see the end result. The "overnight" success. Sometimes I just feel like not picking up calls or answering texts. It's not just him... it's everyone around me. Surprisingly though, it's not my friends that act like this... it's only my immediate family like cousins and shit. Hell, my brothers don't even ask me to create something for them. They bring me ideas and I'm more than happy to help them.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
This is why I wish people around me didn't know about the shit I had going on.
Pisses me off. When you're at your lowest, no one fcking remembers. Even your cousins, uncles, aunts, yeah they say hi to you, but that's it. Now all of a sudden I'm obligated to help them.

Haha I'll never forget.

"Hey, help me start a brand. Let's come up with a different name and copy your products. We'll own the market. This will be your company too man. We'll have it under my name and my accounts. Then we'll start another company, we'll copy the same products and we'll do it under my wife's name. We'll own the industry bro".

Lmfao. If only business was that easy. It's kind of insulting to me actually. I spent over two years busting my a$$ off. Days where I was on the brink of closing everything. Days where I didn't have one cent to make my phone bill as I maxed out my credit cards for inventory. This is the problem with 99% of the population, they don't understand what it takes. They just see the end result. The "overnight" success. Sometimes I just feel like not picking up calls or answering texts. It's not just him... it's everyone around me. Surprisingly though, it's not my friends that act like this... it's only my immediate family like cousins and shit. Hell, my brothers don't even ask me to create something for them. They bring me ideas and I'm more than happy to help them.

You just have to laugh at this stuff once the immediate disbelief goes away. Well you don't have to, but it's better for your blood pressure.

Related but lower key... my sister (in her 30s) came over not too long ago and told me she wanted to grow a garden. Cool! Problem is, she "doesn't have room for it" in her yard. Oh, sux. But she's sure fresh vegetables are real important! Yep, ok.

Solution: we can put the garden in MY yard, and I can water and weed and pick caterpillars off of the (organic, of course) garden all week. And she'll come on the weekends and pick up the vegetables to eat them. Wow! How could I lose on a deal like that?

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
RANT-- My course and YouTube filming got interrupted because I have a week to finish emptying my apartment for the sublease person, I'm just 8 paintings away of finishing my 30 Day Challenge (First challenge ever I go anything further than day 3 or 4) I have stuff home that I need to unpack, I'll have to make a decision on the whole what-to-do-with-tenant since they will find it nearly impossible to move and they want to stay, and I really want them to stay, I'm just not made to break rules. Then smaller to-do errands that are really not a big deal, but they add to the pile too. These things bubble inside like a kettle without me knowing and by the time I can notice it, it's too late.
I accidentally skipped a couple doses of my medication, that didn't help. So today I was so sleepy and fatigued from the start, I decided to take a nap and woke up straight having an anxiety attack. I had to take a shower, pill, and just go back to bed for another three hours. I need the next two weeks to go by fast and I need some win at work because I haven't been doing much and I don't want them to notice. This would be bad timing to lose that income, as well as the telecommuting option as this whole thing still unfolds.

It's like STOP THE CAROUSEL I WANNA GET OFF. I'm constantly thinking what could I have forgotten. things slip through the cracks. I keep making lists and lists because my short term memory has become non existent. As in, I have to check if I flushed the toilet right after I washed my hands because I forgot. Mental illness sucks my friends. Honestly I forget so much and miss so many things/pay no attention I'm scared I'll end up with dementia very, very early. And I'm being realistic here I'm not trying to blow it up. It feels so bad feeling so dumb. Unless I'm on hyperfocus I'm like the DMV sloth from Zootopia.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk

giphy.gif

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

LordGanon

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Jun 22, 2020
Germany
You wanna know who I really hate? Bureaucrats.

But you don't want to know what I want to do with them when something like this happens:

- They ask for a shitton of paperwork I immediately provide
- They exceed the legal mandatory time to process it
- They send me a letter, telling me my documents were incomplete and threaten me with a fine
- I call them and tell them my paperwork has been complete
- They answer with a lengthy speech about my duties to the government
- I answer "You have to abide the law, too, and you don't, so don't give me that sh**"
- They check the file...my paperwork was indeed complete, but their scanner is obviously broken, therefore only about 2/3rds of the pages show up in the scan
- Given the amount of paperwork they get to scan, I'm pretty sure we're talking about 6 figures of pages that have been scanned wrong

And suddenly they come around apologizing. **** you. Just **** you. You take my money, your salary is paid with my money, and all you do is **** up and demand more money for your **** ups. **** you.

ElleMg

Pronounced like the Elle in excellent
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Aug 13, 2020
UK
Another lil rant.

Saw the perfect apartment yesterday and even though I can easily afford the 6 months rent upfront + 6 weeks deposit, they need me to have a guarantor who's a homeowner making £26k+ a year. Despite the fact I'm paying the entire term up front... Hmm.

Last edited:

ItsAJackal

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Oct 16, 2018
It infuriates me when some company sells my cell phone number to marketing/political groups. I don't know what company sold my info, but starting about 4-5 days ago I have started getting 5-10 texts a day and 3-5 phone calls from unknown numbers about politics. Spam email is one thing, but my phone just feels a lot more personal and I absolutely hate it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.