The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
I just looked up my daily screen time. This is alarming. Almost 6 hours daily average.

It’s worse when you consider 16 waking hours a day.

That’s 38% of my day with my head in my phone.

If I live 50 more years, and this nonsense continues, that is 19 years looking at a F*cking phone screen.

Love this flip phone move! Do you do a lot of business facilitation from your phone? I'm scared to look at my daily screen time.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Plan for your social future like you plan for your financial future.

I went to a happy hour last night that had a bunch of people in their 50s-60s who are fairly well off (7-8 figure net worths). A few of them didn't have kids and regret it. Others have a bunch of money that they don't know what to do with.

Though one guy in his 50s looks young as F*ck and he's enjoying the hell out of life. He worked in sales and had a few kids in their late 20s.

All else equal after your mid 20s people care less and less that you exist as you get older. You better have some kind of plan to keep the right people around into your later years. Plus you need something worthwhile to keep yourself occupied so that you don't end up as a wealthy binge drinking boomer on the fastlane into dementia (those happy hour people weren't like that, but there are plenty of them down here in Florida - cough cough the Villages).

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Love this flip phone move! Do you do a lot of business facilitation from your phone? I'm scared to look at my daily screen time.
Yeah, pretty much everything these days.

I also ordered an iPad mini that I’m going to load up with only work stuff.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I just looked up my daily screen time. This is alarming. Almost 6 hours daily average.

It’s worse when you consider 16 waking hours a day.

That’s 38% of my day with my head in my phone.

If I live 50 more years, and this nonsense continues, that is 19 years looking at a F*cking phone screen.
I barely have any phone screen time, but don't even want to know my time in front of computer display :(

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
In pursuit of the digital minimalism, I went ahead and ordered this:

Looks good. I’m ready be a lot more deliberate with my smart stuff.
Just a heads-up from a long-term Cat phone enjoyer: There's a high probability of developing an
objective sense of superiority over the gnat brains and their rectangles.

I also ordered an iPad mini
Nevermind.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Gone are the days of living in a nice place in Bali for $1000 a month. It basically costs the same to live there now as any other country.

These shortcuts don’t last.
I was just in Bali last month. Seemed super cheap to me still. What has increased compared to 5 years ago? A driver was about $20 for a day. A massage is still $10. Food is a few bucks.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I was just in Bali last month. Seemed super cheap to me still. What has increased compared to 5 years ago? A driver was about $20 for a day. A massage is still $10. Food is a few bucks.
Where abouts were you? Maybe it’s just Canggu

I heard from someone I know who moved there recently that it’s about 2k a month for a place now, and food was getting close to western prices last time I was there and I imagine it’s only gotten worse

I have no desire to go back and see for myself, sounds like it’s super busy now too

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

I heard from someone I know who moved there recently that it’s about 2k a month for a place now, and food was getting close to western prices last time I was there and I imagine it’s only gotten worse

I have no desire to go back and see for myself, sounds like it’s super busy now too
I was in Ubud.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Funny thing is I had the opposite thought white I was there. We literally had a chef come and prepare an awesome dinner for 30 people ($15pp). We had 2 masseuses that were at our pool giving massages ($12/hr/massage). This is the house we rented which was $700 a night.

Because Bali was so cheap, I deemed it my backup retirement plan. If I ever f9cked up so badly and was left with only $1-$2M I would retire in Bali like a king.

356225528_10230351419465220_8551346246145223149_n.jpg

Wombat

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Dec 11, 2022
Vic, AU
Sorry, this is a rant. A moment ago my employer announced they expect me to participate in a 'Pride Bake' as, among other things, 'part of a bigger movement to create moments to talk about outdated ideas about gender'.
I'm happy that people are not clones and I'm respectful to all my work colleagues.
But really, I go to work to actually work. Not attend re-education sessions.
Why doesn't HR just hire staff that:
a) Are not a$$holes to other people
b) Mind their own business
c) Get work done
So we can focus on doing what we get paid for?
Rant-off.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
This is a very nice surprise.

Unscripted has done very well for years, but the last time it hit #1 in any category was during release, or some kind of promotion.

Wish I had some secret sauce to share. My guess is an influencer recently recommended it.

1690205867751.png

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia

Unscripted has done very well for years, but the last time it hit #1 in any category was during release, or some kind of promotion.

Wish I had some secret sauce to share. My guess is an influencer recently recommended it.

View attachment 50338
Fantastic stuff mate.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Huge piece of prime commercial land sold in my hometown, right next to tier-1 retail store. On FB, realtor showed photo of buyers, who own a business that develops, sells, and leases retail stores (they've built malls, strip centers, do it for clients but also own a lot themselves through the company they own). You would never suspect them of being rich/successful - they dress average or less, drive boring vehicles, and their home is middle class. All those books are true. Not everyone is like this but you really never know.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

View attachment 50338

It should be no surprise, years later I still haven't seen a better book on entrepreneurship.

Just the other day I was talking to my VP and he was quoting parts from it to help his son get into the game early. Yes, it may sound crazy that I'd share this book with my staff as you'd think it could cost me (people leaving) but I think it's helping people make better decisions for their lives. This isn't damn slavery. It's a choice, a decision to make. And top notch people, those who are Entrepreneurs at heart and producers - they will get ownership from me too.

Anyway, congrats @MJ DeMarco! Well deserved and should stay there for a long long time.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

View attachment 50338
10/10 without a doubt, the best business book I've ever read. Chock full of golden life advice, too. Hope it stays up there.

Creative_Name

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Oct 17, 2022
If I’m trying to solve acne for young people, what’s a good way to prove your product solves their pain point?
Right now, I’m using the product I’m selling because I need to prove its effectiveness. My skin has gotten smoother and less red, and I’m recording the transformation process.

There’s one condition where it doesn’t work.

See, a big factor to my own acne was sugar, mainly chocolate, and I’ve since stopped eating chocolate and reduced sweet food intake to 20% of what I normally do (doesn’t include chocolate) in order to not be a hypocrite. The problem is if my customer uses my product and still consumes sweets, it doesn’t get better. It slows the spread down, but it can still get pretty bad.

How do I get my customers to make healthy life choices to see these results?

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Oct 16, 2022
ChatGPT is now my go-to when it comes to solving business and personal problems.

1. Always available.
2. Never gets mad.
3. Won't get jealous, or try to have a bad influence on you.
4. More knowledgeable than anyone I know.
5. Won't judge me.
6. Remains partial.

I am paying $20/month for this, but it's worth IMHO at least $100.

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Oct 16, 2022
If I’m trying to solve acne for young people, what’s a good way to prove your product solves their pain point?
Right now, I’m using the product I’m selling because I need to prove its effectiveness. My skin has gotten smoother and less red, and I’m recording the transformation process.

See, a big factor to my own acne was sugar, mainly chocolate, and I’ve since stopped eating chocolate and reduced sweet food intake to 20% of what I normally do (doesn’t include chocolate) in order to not be a hypocrite. The problem is if my customer uses my product and still consumes sweets, it doesn’t get better. It slows the spread down, but it can still get pretty bad.

Make a diet plan, not a cream.

EngineerThis

Accelerate your New Product Launch!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI

Include a diet plan with your product. Free diet plan with purchase?

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
But those are a dime a dozen! And it’s not like you could convince a hormonal teen to make rational diet decisions.

And here I thought acne was a painful problem.
This might be a little over the top, but you can do this thing where they sign up with their email,

you can send them discounts etc but you can also send them like weekly recipes and tips for acne control.

Great value skew imo, I know alot of people that would like that

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Oct 16, 2022
But those are a dime a dozen! And it’s not like you could convince a hormonal teen to make rational diet decisions.

And here I thought acne was a painful problem.
It's not about what *you* think, but what the customer thinks.

Do you want to fix this problem or not? Then sell what people will buy, not what *you* want to sell.

Side note: you can always sell the diet plan as a bonus with the cream.

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
Chris Stuckmann calls it "Fantastic", and predicts Oscars nods for Cillian Murphy and Robert Downey Jr. His only complaint is that 25% of the dialogue is hard to understand, apparently a common problem in Nolan films. He thinks some people wont be able to handle a dialogue-heavy film that is 3-hours long. Spoiler-free review:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3jaIhSj23E
I loved most all of Nolan's films and have been looking forward to Oppenheimer for a couple months now.

Just really hoping the dialogue isn't all jacked up like with Tenet. You couldn't understand 1/3 of the script.

Creative_Name

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Oct 17, 2022
It's not about what *you* think, but what the customer thinks.

Do you want to fix this problem or not? Then sell what people will buy, not what *you* want to sell.

Side note: you can always sell the diet plan as a bonus with the cream.
Alright, I’ll include blue widgets with the red widgets and see what people think.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Sick of dealing with protection prisoners and their bullshit.

You do things for them you don't have to do to help them and they spit in your face.

The constant lying. You catch them red handed and they still lie!

The lame threats, like I haven't heard it a thousand times before.

You be nice to them, treat them with respect and help them, and they see that as an opportunity to walk all over you.

The only language they understand is being an a**hole.

This job can make you jaded

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Are firms like BlackRock also banks? How is it not a HUGE conflict of interest for banks to also be investment firms and investment firms to also be banks? They can borrow at practically zero rates (ZIRP) and then go buy up everything?

It's like the Fed printing money and using the printed money to purchase the whole US, but with a single step added in between...

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
Funny thing is I had the opposite thought white I was there. We literally had a chef come and prepare an awesome dinner for 30 people ($15pp). We had 2 masseuses that were at our pool giving massages ($12/hr/massage). This is the house we rented which was $700 a night.

Because Bali was so cheap, I deemed it my backup retirement plan. If I ever f9cked up so badly and was left with only $1-$2M I would retire in Bali like a king.

View attachment 50294
"Bali is cheap"

"I paid $700 a night"

Am I missing something here, or am I just too poor to understand ?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.