The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
This might be met with outrage and indignation, but I am asking the question genuinely... when you own a 10,000 square foot home, are there any ways that you consider using it for business or for monetization? Obviously you can use it for branding and marketing, but I'm curious if there's anything else you do with such a huge house that might offset some of the costs, or if in this case, it's purely a private paradise. Either way, I think it's very awesome :)

The only people I know who aren't playing the business game and have big houses are farmers. Maybe ask them lol.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
This might be met with outrage and indignation, but I am asking the question genuinely... when you own a 10,000 square foot home, are there any ways that you consider using it for business or for monetization?
Best use of your home if you want to increase the size of your business:

Just live there and be happy with your life.

That will improve your brain health, and consequently, your ability to make better decisions and produce higher quality work.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Best use of your home if you want to increase the size of your business:

Just live there and be happy with your life.

That will improve your brain health, and consequently, your ability to make better decisions and produce higher quality work.
Maybe. There are ways to house hack and supercharge your wealth, but if you are already rich enough to afford a 10,000 square foot house, those methods don't really apply!

Living in one side of a duplex or fourplex is really for the person just starting out.

However, I have seen people buy 5000+ square foot fixer uppers and flip them with tax benefits after 2 years.

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
Wow, your home looks great.

I remember saying that "I don't care about big houses" some time ago but with time comes wisdom and now I understand why big houses are awesome.
That is an absolutely gorgeous estate. Wow.

Forget the Lambo references, just drop a pic of that bad boy to get people on the Fastlane. :-D

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Took the window washers most of the day... the final cost ... take a guess?

Here's a pic, front+back.

View attachment 48533

View attachment 48534

We have over 100 windows if you include panes, many are 3 stories high. Let's just say, I wasn't expecting it to be cheap.

BTW: I didn't see a squeegee at all, this guy and his partner had some really professional equipment.
I’m going to guess $1500. They gave you a volume discount. Lol

Did they do the interior also?

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Maybe. There are ways to house hack and supercharge your wealth, but if you are already rich enough to afford a 10,000 square foot house, those methods don't really apply!
This is what it mainly is. If you are living in a $5M house, there’s no point in trying to hack your way to saving $5k, $10k or even $50k in taxes or write offs.

Even at the $50k mark, you need to balance that with potential IRS risk to see if the return is worth it.

My realtor wants me to rent my house out in Vegas for $8-$10k a month when I’m not there, but after doing the calculations on wear and tear, possible breakage or accidents and liability, increased utilities and then paying taxes, it’s just not worth it to me.

However if this was a 0 risk endeavor and there was no chance of any accidents, breakage, etc… I would certainly accept the risk free money.

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
May 9, 2021

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida

Wow! AI video editing is here

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
Hey I feel like America has a lot more inflation than it seems.
Window cleaners getting 300 or more for a small house, engineers earning 100k a year and a roll up banner costs 120$.

In Germany with the euro, window cleaners get about 150 to 200 at most, a engineer earns 50 to 60k a year, and the same banner costs 80€.

Just some food for thought. I though of this when I noticed that it seems like every new guy who has a job here earns six figures and more.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Ohmygosh I can’t believe it took me two days to figure it out. He’s just getting karma! That’s the reason for all these fluffy rah rah gooey posts. Pffft.

He probably won’t get into an argument with anyone who is more successful than him either. I’m leaning towards it all being possible narcissist behavior. Just a thought.. don’t get manipulated.

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
Hey I feel like America has a lot more inflation than it seems.
Window cleaners getting 300 or more for a small house, engineers earning 100k a year and a roll up banner costs 120$.

In Germany with the euro, window cleaners get about 150 to 200 at most, a engineer earns 50 to 60k a year, and the same banner costs 80€.

Just some food for thought. I though of this when I noticed that it seems like every new guy who has a job here earns six figures and more.
Well in Kenya you'd be making $100 per month doing window cleaning, it doesn't mean that they have less inflation. You make a little less than Americans and spend a little less on local services, housing and groceries, something that's produced in Germany, but cars, phones, tvs, probably even window cleaning equipment cost the same as in the US

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Went to my downtown public library for first time to check out what someone told me was a collection of every newspaper published in my county. Love libraries but avoided as last one I went stank of urine and the one here in Tulsa has a huge homeless population in front of it. Was shocked to see MJs books there.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Went to my downtown public library for first time to check out what someone told me was a collection of every newspaper published in my county. Love libraries but avoided as last one I went stank of urine and the one here in Tulsa has a huge homeless population in front of it. Was shocked to see MJs books there.
There’s also a greater than 100% chance of contracting deadly meningitis at a public library.

BizBrain

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Apr 1, 2023
I have to ask my wife, she was charged with securing the appointment.
I’m following up on this comment as I am currently looking to offer home services to the more “affluent” customers in my area, similar to your wife and yourself.

It would be nice to know what the deciding factors were in choosing the company, and how their service aligned with the expectations that were initially set.

For example- did the company seem “high end” when your wife found them and was that an attractive feature? Did they claim to offer more value than their competitors? Or maybe they seemed average but had a more professional look to their logo, website, or ad?

I understand everyone is different in the way in which they make decisions, and sometimes money has nothing to do with that process, however, I know from working on a very high end golf course back in the day that many high net worth people are very picky about their hired help and the value that’s offered to them.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Why Americans are more likely to do nothing when confronted with a chance to help a stranger...

This is the culture we deserve.

1682897516080.png

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
Why Americans are more likely to do nothing when confronted with a chance to help a stranger...

This is the culture we deserve.

View attachment 48575
A friend of mine saved a guys life who was overdosing on heroin one time. Didn’t know him, he saw him out in public and knew he was overdosing, so he went over to do cpr until the ambulance came to save him. My friend said people were walking past him, ignoring him like he was a homeless person begging for change. Only in a city could you be dying on the sidewalk and people pass you by like nothing.

Luckily the guy he saved was thankful he saved his life, unlike the article above.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Views and engagement are more important. He's only 1 step away from becoming a 8 figure TikTok Creator in a world where brand deals are waiting for him.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

weird thing people do in every workplace:
"I have a question"
"ok"
"You did this wrong."

How is that a question?? Lol

Proper response being... "You're right, looks like I did. Let's figure out a solution for that!"
Non-leaders always use language like “you did this” and throw blame around very harshly and directly. Leaders often use softer language when talking about whose “fault” something is but then are very direct when giving praise. “We seem to have missed this” versus “John did a great job on that”

Low level employee says “Janice didn’t do that” or “that’s not my job.” A leader doesn’t do that.

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Does anyone have any advice? -

a family member (immediate family member) that is unsuccessful and lazy beyond means, with a fixed mindset continues to spit the following poison on me.. And from what I've read I believe I'm dealing with a deep narcissist:

"I read all the books you read when I was younger, it's all BS, trust me, you'll come back to earth. You're just living in fantasy land right now. One day you'll realize."

My response is "No. I don't want to realize. Whatever "realize" means in your world, I want to do the complete opposite. I will never "realize"."

What do you want me to realize? That life sucks and I should just suck it up? Like W-T-F?

Hearing this once sometimes messes up my motivation and emotions for hours. Causing me to question myself.

Has anyone had to deal with this? What did you do? Is the best option to move and get the hell away from them?

Thanks

G

Guest-5ty5s4

a family member (immediate family member) that is unsuccessful and lazy beyond means, with a fixed mindset continues to spit the following poison on me.. And from what I've read I believe I'm dealing with a deep narcissist:

"I read all the books you read when I was younger, it's all BS, trust me, you'll come back to earth. You're just living in fantasy land right now. One day you'll realize."

My response is "No. I don't want to realize. Whatever "realize" means in your world, I want to do the complete opposite. I will never "realize"."

What do you want me to realize? That life sucks and I should just suck it up? Like W-T-F?

Hearing this once sometimes messes up my motivation and emotions for hours. Causing me to question myself.

Has anyone had to deal with this? What did you do? Is the best option to move and get the hell away from them?

Thanks
This is an important question. I have the same problem, especially whenever it's family saying this type of stuff (and I work for them in our biz) - so curious what kind of answers @ZCP @Antifragile and @Kak give you.
The typical refrain being "I've seen it all before, you think you're so smart when you're young, you want to do so much, well, you'll realize it's a lot harder than that, it takes way longer, if we could change that by now we would have, if we could actually grow we would..." etc... Very, VERY demotivating.

Everyone has something good to learn and something to ignore IMO

Last edited by a moderator:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Thanks

Who do they work for? An entrepreneur.

Who built every business? An entrepreneur.

Why do they make Range Rovers, Gulfstream Jets, mansions and mega yachts? Because someone, somehow, is there to buy them.

Focus on the somehow.

You’re right, they’re wrong. It’s proven. Your family member sucks.

SDE

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
514%
Jul 9, 2018

Thanks

'yeah, ok'

Then look at your to-do list for the day and start working on it.

One day you'll realize that you were right in ignoring them and working on your goals.

Last edited:

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany

Thanks
I personally choose to not listen to my parents and their opinions.

If you take enough steps back (metaphorically speaking) it's just warm air coming out of their mouth. That family member has nothing to back his claims up with, aside from full confidence in believing he is correct.

If you were doing bodybuilding and he would tell you that you could never archive a good body, would you feel the same?
Probably not because you know that as long as you do the correct daily actions, you will get the result.

As long as you do the needed actions each day for business, you will also eventually get there.
No naysaying can change that fact.

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
This is an important question. I have the same problem, especially whenever it's my Dad saying this type of stuff (and I work for him in our family biz!) - so curious what kind of answers @ZCP @Antifragile and @Kak give you.
The typical refrain being "I've seen it all before, you think you're so smart when you're young, you want to do so much, well, you'll realize it's a lot harder than that, it takes way longer, if we could change that by now we would have, if we could actually grow we would..." etc... Very, VERY demotivating.

Everyone has something good to learn and something to ignore IMO
Exactly. Honestly in itself, it's an FTE.

Like how do they want us to imagine our lives? Sinking into a deep bout of depression? Never expressing creativity? Never building anything great? Walking around a house all day like a loser?

I'll pass.

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
I personally choose to not listen to my parents and their opinions.

If you take enough steps back (metaphorically speaking) it's just warm air coming out of their mouth. That family member has nothing to back his claims up with, aside from full confidence in believing he is correct.

If you were doing bodybuilding and he would tell you that you could never archive a good body, would you feel the same?
Probably not because you know that as long as you do the correct daily actions, you will get the result.

As long as you do the needed actions each day for business, you will also eventually get there.
No naysaying can change that fact.
Funniest part is, they love bodybuilding and have competed in bodybuilding shows.

They talk about all the hard work that took, all the hours in the gym, the consistency, how they used to be a skinny stick figure before lifting

Yet when it comes to business all of that goes out the window.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Thanks

They're crows. When you understand their nature, you can learn to ignore them.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nkfj3wk7eg

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

Thanks

@thechosen1 thanks for the tag.

Mike, how are you getting involved in these chats? Are you initiating them? Are you trying to tell someone "hey, listen, look how great these books are!!!!" and then being frustrated with a response? Why do they even begin this chat with you?

Don't tell. Stop. It's not about what you say, it's about what you do.

Show them. When you have a 8-9 figure Net Worth and one of them asks "how?" you can then gently test the waters with "are you sure you want the real answer?" Most people even then will just think "Mike got lucky with the market and his idea, I wish I was lucky like that but my situation was different".

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.