The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Quit my job or not

Anything related to matters of the mind

jaxon 24

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
May 16, 2014
Legon
I just got hired right after School. I work from 8am to 5pm. I spend all my day at the office working for less. I have an idea to start a book publishing company to produce customised exercise books for schools. I hardly get time to execute what I read from this forum.
I want to know whether its advisable to quit my job or not?
Any advise

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mattbau43

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jul 18, 2014
Machias, Maine
I just got hired right after School. I work from 8am to 5pm. I spend all my day at the office working for less. I have an idea to start a book publishing company to produce customised exercise books for schools. I hardly get time to execute what I read from this forum.
I want to know whether its advisable to quit my job or not?
Any advise

Can you afford to quit your job? Are you able to survive without income for months or years? If not then save first or work on your dream part time until you can make the jump.

Whatever you do, chase your dream.

ArthurDayne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 22, 2014
Hong Kong
What do you do from 5pm until midnight? It's not ideal, but a lot of people get a lot done on their fastlane while working. I work from 8am until 7pm and still manage to work at it in the evening.

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
What do you do from 5:01pm to 7:59am? There's gotta be 3 or 4 hours of hustle time in there every day. How about weekends?

jaxon 24

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
May 16, 2014
Legon
I really appreciate your valuable advise. What are some skills I should acquire whiles working?

jaxon 24

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
May 16, 2014
Legon
What do you do from 5:01pm to 7:59am? There's gotta be 3 or 4 hours of hustle time in there every day. How about weekends?
I will try working on my project. another problem facing entrepreneurs in Ghana is that since we young n out of school they dnt want to do business with us. How do I gain credibility

jaxon 24

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
May 16, 2014
Legon
Stakeholders of my company. Stakeholders I mean the printers, companies, schools and financial institutions we deal with

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
What everyone else said: Keep the job right now to pay the bills, live incredibly cheaply (especially as you're young and presumably single), build up a "F-You" or "Freedom" fund, work on your entrepeneur thing from 5-midnight. Rinse and repeat.

I think that this answer is probably not the sexy "just quit your job and 'Go All In'" mantra that you hear around here, but it's the path that I would choose. YMMV

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I will try working on my project. another problem facing entrepreneurs in Ghana is that since we young n out of school they dnt want to do business with us. How do I gain credibility

How do they know you OWN the company? If you show them a great product, they shouldn't care how old you are. Just present yourself as a sales representative, or just a guy hired by your company. As an entrepreneur just getting started, you have to play many roles.

As for quitting your job, don't think many here can answer that question for you, especially since you are in Ghana. Not many of us have visited to know the intricacies of the economic environment.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think that this answer is probably not the sexy "just quit your job and 'Go All In'"

True. One probably should not go all in with a J6. J6 = no plan, no business, no revenue, no customers. You go all in when you have a decent hand. Pocket Aces = product validated, customers, growing profits, growing organically via social reach, etc.

Last edited:

jaxon 24

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
May 16, 2014
Legon
How do they know you OWN the company? If you show them a great product, they shouldn't care how old you are. Just present yourself as a sales representative, or just a guy hired by your company. As an entrepreneur just getting started, you have to play many roles.

As for quitting your job, don't think many here can answer that question for you, especially since you are in Ghana. Not many of us have visited to know the intricacies of the economic environment.
MJ DeMarco thanks for your advise. Your book is an eye opener. At 24 I know more than my college professors.
I want to create a similar forum to bring successful Ghanaian entrepreneurs and start ups the platform to share their stories.
I will start with a blog.

Franky Neizer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
May 18, 2014
Accra
@jaxon 24 My suggestion will be: Don't quit your day job. Try working on your business idea in the evening when you close from work, if you are really passionate about your business idea then it's worth sacrificing some of your sleep time to work on it. It wont be easy especially when you have to be up very early to beat the morning traffic to get to work on time, I live here in Accra and I know the system.

After developing a good plan for your idea you should test it first to ensure there is a market for your product, then you can quit your job and scale up.

I hope this helps.. ;) I'm 24 and also working on my business plan, thinking of launching late this year or early 2015....

jaxon 24

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
May 16, 2014
Legon
@jaxon 24 My suggestion will be: Don't quit your day job. Try working on your business idea in the evening when you close from work, if you are really passionate about your business idea then it's worth sacrificing some of your sleep time to work on it. It wont be easy especially when you have to be up very early to beat the morning traffic to get to work on time, I live here in Accra and I know the system.

After developing a good plan for your idea you should test it first to ensure there is a market for your product, then you can quit your job and scale up.

I hope this helps.. ;) I'm 24 and also working on my business plan, thinking of launching late this year or early 2015....
Thanks. We need a forum like this for our business environment(africa).

NerdAtCoolTable

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jul 20, 2014
I wish I worked days. Would be able to save money and work on my site every night. Be happy you don't work graveyards.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.