The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Question regarding costs of an e-store

benjir

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 13, 2010
Hello,
long time browser, but have never registered to post, until now..
I am wondering if any people here, experienced in online businesses would be able to tell me (roughly) how much it would cost to setup my website idea.

The business idea is pretty much an online marketplace for a particular age demographic (18-25)
My vision is to have a website, in which users can register, and submit items to sell or auction; within their particular region, or country wide. It would also have to have some type of system for either IM, forum, or private message in which the users could talk privately to discuss prices, pick-up, or postage..

I know there are websites such as shopify, but I need a more dynamic website..
Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
That idea to get the basic idea working, wouldn't necessarily be much. I don't have a price though as I've never bought a website.

Check out Joombla, or Drupla and see what plugins they have because you, with a little bit of learning may be able to set something up.

Bare in mind that it doesn't need to be ebay-like scalable at first. You need to see if it'll work. So doing something like that above gets it started, and if it is worth your time, does it matter how much it costs to get a 'perfect' version of it?

benjir

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 13, 2010
I had a look at Joomla and Drupla, both had some good extensions, but after thinking about it last night, I realized that auctions wouldn't be needed, at first, rather than auctions I think a type of 'classified' listing would be better - due to the fact that I think that the sellers/buyers are going to be within the same city/area (as the items are in a sense 'passing on' from one to another) so then once an item is listed, people can contact the seller and offer a price.
I found an open source listing application which would do the job nicely, with some hacking of the code, its called OPAL Opal - Open Source Ruby on Rails Item Listing Software - Hulihan Applications - Website | Logo | Software | Graphic Design

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.