- Joined
- Aug 12, 2007
- Messages
- 436
Rep Bank
$540
$540
User Power: 14%
Okay, well I was reading this article in an issue of Entrepreneur magazine about female technology entrepreneurs, and the one woman was talking about obtaining venture funding, and they asked her if she had any problems obtaining it, as a woman, and she said something like (this isn't the exact wording), "I have heard some horror stories from other women about venture capitalists asking if they're planning on having a baby or not, but me personally, I had no problem."
So my question is, IS it wrong for a venture capitalist to inquire about this from a female entrepreneur. I mean, on the one hand, I can see the woman saying, "None of your damn business," on the other hand, I can picture the venture capitalist thinking, "Look lady, women often have to take time off from a full-time job to raise a child, and building a business from scratch is definitely a super full-time job meaning something would have to give, child or business, so if you expect me to hand you millions of my own money for your business, I deserve to know whether or not you're planning a child anytime soon..."
So who is correct? I can see the woman not liking being asked this, but I can see the venture capitalist wanting to be sure his millions won't get wasted either. I am guessing women CAN do both (build business, raise child) simultaneously, but I have read much about women getting completely burned out in trying to have a full-time career and raise children, so I'd imagine it'd be very difficult to build a business and raise a child (especially a newborn!); I even read a few articles saying that it is a myth that women can maintain a full career and fully raise their children simultaneously, that something has to give, there's a trade-off as both each require so much time, and many women burn themselves out thinking they can do both.
So I would imagine it's similar with entrepreneurship and children too. So what do you folks think?
So my question is, IS it wrong for a venture capitalist to inquire about this from a female entrepreneur. I mean, on the one hand, I can see the woman saying, "None of your damn business," on the other hand, I can picture the venture capitalist thinking, "Look lady, women often have to take time off from a full-time job to raise a child, and building a business from scratch is definitely a super full-time job meaning something would have to give, child or business, so if you expect me to hand you millions of my own money for your business, I deserve to know whether or not you're planning a child anytime soon..."
So who is correct? I can see the woman not liking being asked this, but I can see the venture capitalist wanting to be sure his millions won't get wasted either. I am guessing women CAN do both (build business, raise child) simultaneously, but I have read much about women getting completely burned out in trying to have a full-time career and raise children, so I'd imagine it'd be very difficult to build a business and raise a child (especially a newborn!); I even read a few articles saying that it is a myth that women can maintain a full career and fully raise their children simultaneously, that something has to give, there's a trade-off as both each require so much time, and many women burn themselves out thinking they can do both.
So I would imagine it's similar with entrepreneurship and children too. So what do you folks think?
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
