The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Pursuing Action - The One Mastery That Will Realize Your Desires

Anything related to matters of the mind

Speed112

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Dec 5, 2013
Over here, over there.
You've probably heard over and over again that "You've got to take action!"

"Stop overthinking things and just act!"​

-Some patronizing guru​

And it's all nice and swell and surely it would help. If only it were that easy. It's like telling a depressed person to just smile and go outside and believing that everything is going to magically be solved.

Well, action isn't magic, and that's a good thing... because magic isn't real.
Your actions, however, are real.

Action is the single most effective way to affect reality and achieve your goals.

"You must enact your vision to realize your desires."​

-Speed, now​

But why am I bringing this up now?

Why should you care?

Because I, like many other people on this beautiful journey we call life, have struggled and failed and given up and started over... over and over again. Pretty much since the moment I began walking down my entrepreneurial path. I've had some successes, won some things, made some money...
But I've always been one step behind where I wanted to be.

If only I could sustain my action enough to leverage the wins and turn them into major success.

You see... I believe that understanding action, what makes it happen, how you can influence and control it, and why it is sometimes impossible, will lead to my and your predictable and inevitable self-actualization. To victory.

We live in an unusual period in history, but one filled to the brim with opportunity.
Now is the time to turn what we know into a lasting source of value in the world.

"The best time to act was yesterday. The next best time is now"​

-some guy​

Now, look... I've done direct marketing for nearly a decade. I read TMF when I was 16 and applied its lessons to win my freedom. Great. I've sold hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of stuff. Helped a dozen people grow their business enough to guarantee their independence... But that wasn't enough.

It's been nowhere near enough. Because, although I've got the skills and knowledge and experience and results to back up my understanding. I have failed. Despite employing my direct-response ability to drive myself and others to take action.
And despite my efforts leading to reliable results enough times to survive.

I have failed—

While action is often seen as a short-term event, true Action is a process.
A continuous deliberate march towards a desired outcome.

And I have failed to hold a stable vision of my future. A clear purpose. A strong will.
Or persistent Action—

So, despite working for so long, I have not realized my dreams, nor actualized myself.

I am, therefore, not a master, nor an expert or a guru. I don't have a PhD in Philosophy or Psychology or Praxeology.
I don't have a multi-million dollar cashflow business or exited for a billion.

I am, but a student of reality on a quest to learn and better apply our understanding...

Through Action!

Still, if you don't want to fall prey to the same monsters that have devoured my potential and stalled my progress.
And if you want to understand why and how humans enact their will, you'll want to read on...

In this series of posts, I will be pursuing Action
—through the lens of scientific and philosophic, but also practical understanding of the human mind.

I will be standing on the shoulders of giants and employing the work of genius minds such as Ludwig von Mises, David Hume, Sun Tzu, Friedrich Nietzsche, John von Neumann, and many others, but also employing new discoveries from the fields of Econophysics, Behavioral Psychology, and my profession: Marketing.

We will be looking at both logical and philosophical underpinnings, but also practical applications that you can wield to better achieve your goals and help more people. And our view will take varied perspectives, from both a top-down and bottom-up approach to human behavior.

You know. So that we may, in the end, greatly multiply the impact of our time and efforts as we...

Achieve the Mastery of Action.

Along with extraordinary progress and accomplishments throughout this pursuit.

Let this be an open discourse, as we should all continue being students of the arts and sciences for as long as we live.
And your experiences and insights shall prove to be valuable context on this journey.

Feel free to debate, poke, and prod, as I will look to not just preach my ideas, but put them to the test, and prove their worth in the free marketplace of ideas.
For truth is the only thing that outstands the passage of time.

With that being said... the next post shall go into Purpose, the underlying guide of Action.

Read on to share in my pursuit.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Speed112

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Dec 5, 2013
Over here, over there.

"Human action is purposeful behavior"​

-Ludwig von Mises, Human Action (1949)​

Action is what enables us to escape the currents of unconscious response. It is what proves our agency and gives meaning to our reason. And it is inseparable from purpose.

In fact, absent purpose, you cannot have Action, but mere acts and reactions no different from those of a fly or sheep. This difference is what makes us human.

So, before we move on and explore this further, it's important to me to establish the importance of purpose and how one might approach acquiring it.

What we identify as free will is a product of our ability to act towards some purpose.

Every action has a purpose. But a deliberate Action requires something more: a great Purpose.

This is what serves as a guide or beacon for your path.

Your Purpose is your North Star.

And the brighter it is, the easier it is for you to align your actions in a way that pulls you towards your goals.
It is, therefore, integral for you to find Clarity of Purpose if you intend to sustain your efforts and realize your desires. Your self-actualization is directly dependent on your ability to perform deliberate, valuable action, which requires a clear purpose.

Failing to do this is equivalent to embarking on your journey without a compass.

„If one does not know to which port is sailing, no wind is favorable.“​

-Seneca the Younger, 2000 years ago.​

So here are a few ways in which you can find your Purpose:

1. The Quickest, Easiest Way - Experience a F*ck This Event​

In Unscripted , MJ DeMarco describes The FTE as your first step into the hell of discipline, unpaid sacrifice, and a ton of failure. It is "the point of no return where nothing else matters" — a psychological breakthrough that dramatically shifts your personality, even your identity, and gives you unprecedented clarity and willpower.

Putting yourself in challenging and stressful situations may shake you out of your state of ease and trigger this powerful paradigm shift. Such an event may immediately realign your path and empower you to make a change.

It is, however, not the easiest thing to engineer.

2. For Those Who Are Unsure - Let Go and Get Going​

"Appetite comes while eating"​

-François Rabelais, Gargantua and Pantagruel (c. 1532-64)​

Before you attempt to struggle and force yourself into finding a Purpose, it may be sound to simply accept that you don't have one. Letting yourself clear yourself of ineffective burdens, aiming for a clean slate...

And embarking on your journey in spite of it.

Making small incremental changes, traveling, trying new things, experiencing life and enjoying others' perspectives while helping fellow human beings, even aimlessly, can help you discover your beacon.

But it helps to keep your eyes open and take opportunities in stride. And let yourself be guided by your peers' purpose, because...

"if you want to lead, first learn how to follow"​

-Rick Beneteau​

And who knows? Maybe your own Purpose will shine among them.

3. If You Want To Be Daring - Explore Your Desires​

For those who'd rather take control of things, rather than leave them to chance or in the hands of others, introspection must be the way to go. And desires are the milestones that can steer our path and direct our goals towards finding a greater purpose.

Looking inward and asking yourself what you truly want. Finding what evokes feelings of excitement and passion within you to pursue and achieve. And visualizing what life would look like on that journey...

Can help you identify your eventual destination.

Write things down. Play around with ideas. Imagine.

Through exercise, you may discover hints. Through pleasure, you may find the energy to sustain your search for a greater Purpose. And in comparison with the status quo, the absence of ideal satisfaction, you may escalate your discontent and motivate yourself to change and take Action.

Now, you may have noticed that these are facets of the same thing...

And they have much in common.

Because we can sum them all, along with pretty much every technique or advice you'll come across on this topic,
in one short sentence:

Live life intentionally.

By identifying your values and desires, upholding your principles, and experiencing what life has in store for you, you're best positioned to find your Purpose. For some, it may be easy. It may simply come as a choice between the common purposes enshrined in society. For others, it may be a role imposed on them by their social body, and their Action is in fact, Acting.

For me, I believe it is a process of discovery, growth, and mastery.

And I've discovered my purpose in the past, only to become disillusioned and lose my will to live. And then I discovered a new purpose, only for it to be weak and unclear and lead me astray. And now, I believe there is another, but only future experience will prove its grandeur.

Yet, for the moment, I must act.

What is your view of Purpose and its relation to Action?​

How would you go about finding it and validating its worth?

Let's explore these ideas and progress together beyond just platitudes and clichés.

In the next post, we'll be diving a bit deeper in this direction. We'll identify the conditions for Action and what prevents us from performing it. Why is Purpose such a powerful driver for Action?

Until then...

Discuss.

Last edited:

Speed112

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Dec 5, 2013
Over here, over there.

What Prevents You From Action?​

We're building upon the previous post and trying to identify why a strong and clear purpose leads to easy and valuable action. Once you get this, things should be much easier.

"The incentive that impels a man to act is always some uneasiness"​

-Ludwig von Mises, Human Action (1949)​

According to Mises, and from my experience, three conditions must be realized for a person to act:

1. They must be dissatisfied with their current situation;
2. They must envision a better state of affairs in the future;
3. They must truly believe they can realize that state.

If any of these conditions are insufficiently satisfied, action is impossible.

This applies whether you are trying to do something yourself or lead someone else to act. You can't help someone who doesn't desire help. You can lead the horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

If a person is content with their life as is. If they lack any needs, desires, or purpose, and the aimless drifting down the stream of life is sufficient... They will be content. And they will not act.

If a person is miserable with their current life, but they cannot or do not imagine a superior version of their life. If they are so engrossed by their day-to-day affairs which keep them miserable that they are blind to what is possible.
They. Will. Not. Act. They will be miserable, but stubbornly perpetuate their disastrous conditions, while pulling down those around them who might suggest other possibilities.

And even those who have dispelled their blissful ignorance. Or have accepted the possibility of a better future...

They may still be stuck in life's currents and fail to act.

For if they are not convinced that, through their own strength and agency, they have the power to control their path and escape their previously-hopeless situation...

They will not act.

"All the strength and force of man comes from his faith in things unseen.​

He who believes is strong; he who doubts is weak. Strong convictions precede great actions."​

-James Freeman Clarke (~1880s)​

But it's not that the individual could act and refuses to. No. They don't act because it is impossible.

You can try all you want to convince them. You can employ all of the greatest most effective influence and persuasion techniques. You can use force, threaten them, or otherwise coerce them. Yet, if you fail to realize these three conditions. Nobody will ever act.

Therefore, the goal of any attempt at persuasion, any marketing strategy or business plan, any sales script or seduction effort, is to satisfy these conditions:

• You must make the person aware of their condition.
• You must make them aware of a possible superior future condition.
• And you must convince them that the path between the two is within their reach.

Only then will they act.

If you intend to sell them something, and the action desired is them purchasing what you're selling, then you'd want to also convince them that the bridge between their undesired present and the desired future is whatever you are selling. Ideally, that buying your solution is the only or the best way for them to get what they want.

And all of this must happen at an emotional level. It is not enough to reason with someone, not even yourself. Because emotion precedes reason just as conviction precedes action. And conflict between the two will falter any conviction. Awareness may be rational, but belief is emotional, and both must resonate together to empower and encourage.

Failure to connect on both levels met with a premature call to action will backfire...

Trust, hope, and certainty are quickly replaced with doubt, anxiety, and resentment.
And future attempts at encouragement or persuasion will face extra resistance.

And this is why Purpose is such a powerful driver. It creates a future vision with a strong emotional underpinning that one believes must happen. In fact, it lies beyond belief, where failure is no longer an option. The only choice... is Action.

Understanding this, to me, is the crux of leadership and persuasion.

A great leader will make you conscious of your misery, show you the path to a glorious future alongside them, and instill in you the courage and conviction to follow on their path. Emotionally and rationally.

You can be your own great leader. You can forge your own path.

You just need to practice the art of Action.

But what is the purpose of human action itself? you may ask... We'll look into that soon...

Next time, however, we'll descend upon the road of praxis, and look at a highly effective form of enacting these conditions in your own life and your listeners. Through words.

In the meantime, think about a moment in your past when you overcame your disbelief and empowered yourself into Action. Feel free to share.

Speed112

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Dec 5, 2013
Over here, over there.

How Do You Incite Action?​

Theory is great and all, but understanding it doesn't do much unless you can apply it.

In the previous post, we've established the base conditions that prevent people from taking action, and why a great purpose is such a huge boon. But besides discovering or instilling a great purpose...

What is the most effective way you can use immediately to incite action?

People commonly say...

"Actions speak louder than words!"​

But how can you have action without words? Or the expression of your thoughts.

An unguided activity is nothing more than a base animalistic reaction. Those who rely on them often fail to chain them all the way to the realization of their goals. And it's no surprise...

Because words precede action. And thoughts precede words.
(And action precedes thought sometimes, but that's more advanced stuff for later...)

And while Action is what makes words meaningful, even when they are unspoken, you cannot have Action without first going through the mental process of clarifying your vision.

This is what separates Human Action from animal reaction.

"I was in darkness, but I took three steps and found myself in paradise. The first step was a good thought, the second, a good word; and the third, a good deed."​

-Friedrich Nietzsche (probably misattributed since it doesn't sound like him but I'm rolling with it...)

This insight is an echo of Zoroastrianism's Wise Lord and his main take: Humata, Hukhta, Hvarshta:
• Good thoughts;
• Good words;
• Good deeds.

It's a reality echoed throughout history, as great leaders and scholars have proven...

Speeches, declarations, prose or song...

A few thoughts expressed through words still drive actions today.

So how can we use this insight to take and drive more action ourselves?

By thinking and writing, of course.

As an Actionsmith and direct response copywriter, this is the primary way through which I get things done.
Understanding, Empathy, and Communication...

So without going into further complications, let me describe how YOU can use words to instill action, in yourself, or others. Right now. And propel yourself over any obstacle that is preventing you from deliberate action and progress.

Whenever I face such an obstacle. I write a so-called sales letter. To myself. To my client. To my father. To whomever it is that's capable of getting me over the hurdle. Through my action, and through theirs.

But "goodness" is subjective. Each letter is individually directed at one person or archetype, their needs and wants and pains. And it must help the listener satisfy the conditions required for action, strictly from their perspective:
• Dissatisfaction;
• Clarity of Vision;
• Conviction.

In this case let's direct inwards, and communicate with the one person we know best: ourselves.

“People will do anything, no matter how absurd, to avoid facing their own souls.”​

-Carl Gustav Jung, The Earth Has a Soul​

So imagine what you'll be able to accomplish once you can face yourself...

Every once in a while, I take some time to self-reflect and write myself a letter. These few words encompass my dreams, my fears, my vision, and serve as a reminder of what I am trying to accomplish, and its possibility.

And it takes the form that many works with the intent of driving action take, whether they're a motivational speech, an advertisement, propaganda, or a love letter.

1. Attention
2. Agitation
3. Attraction

4. Action

Or well... you've probably heard of the AIDA model, or REAN or NAITDASE or all sorts of variations of basically the same thing. I went for a catchy alliteration so we can have some fun ;)

It's simple. You've got to engage your audience (in this case yourself), you've gotta get them riled up, you've gotta dangle the carrot in front of their face, point out the burning flames chasing behind them...

And call them to Action!

"Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage."​

-Dale Carnegie, The 5 Essential People Skills​

The goal is of course to satisfy the conditions for Action, but to do that practically, you must answer most, if not all of the following questions:

• Who the hell are you and why should I trust you?
• What is it that I am hurting for (desire) or from (pain)?
• Do you truly understand me and my pain or desires?
• What can be done to ease my horrible suffering?
• How does the solution realize a positive transformation?
• What makes this solution unique or the best fit for me?
• How can you be sure this transformation will happen?
• What will be lost if the transformation doesn't happen?
• How will the transformation benefit me in the future?
• What do I need to do to start and keep going?

These 10 questions are the main ideas that must be resolved for a call to action to be effective.

They don't necessarily have to be resolved in order, but any lingering uncertainty can prove to be a serious blow to one's Conviction and willingness to Act, so clearing all of this up is ideal.

So here are the steps you can take to accomplish this:

1. Grab hold of yourself with an inflammatory headline and subheadline;
Imagine literally grabbing your shoulders and shaking yourself wide awake verbally. What triggers you? What can you hear that immediately captures your attention and makes you listen?
Write that down.

2. Think of your current situation. What's holding you back? Any bad habits? Toxicity? Notice any emptiness or inadequacy. Bring all of the things you hate to light...
And write them down.

3. You're talking to yourself here. Everything is in 2nd person, with direct, casual, and active language. Especially now, because you can make a change. There is a way to climb out of the hole, so you've got to see it, 1 year from now, 5 years, 10. How will it look like? Describe it.

4. And then explain what would happen if nothing is done. And what would happen if something is done. How is this desirable? How is this exceptional? How do you know? What will it cost? What will be gained? Be very clear and use as much detail as you need to hammer in the point.

5. Finally, once you're clear on what can be done and how it can be done, you must stress that it MUST be done. There is no alternative. There is no waiting. This is the way and the way is now. Reiterate the path. Emphasize what the first step is. Eliminate any friction...

And GO!

Grab a pen and paper, or open up some word processor and write down THE MOST triggering sequence of words you can think of. It will take you 2 minutes. Don't overthink it. Trust your gut. Write.

Once you're done with this process, read what you wrote out loud.

Trust yourself. If something feels off and doesn't inspire confidence, it's ok to revisit it and rewrite it. If you feel that you haven't adequately answered some of the questions above, it's ok to write more. If you think an argument is trash or irrelevant, it's ok to delete it.

This is a discovery process and an exercise. It doesn't need to be perfect.

"Too many people spend too much time trying to perfect something before they actually do it. Instead of waiting for perfection, run with what you go, and fix it along the way."​

Paul Arden, It's Not How Good You Are, It's How Good You Want to Be​

So take charge and write.

If you succeed in overcoming the three conditions, and you propel yourself into deliberate action...

You'll have created one of the most valuable assets you can have on your journey to self-actualization
—a constant reminder of who you are and who you want to become.

So make sure you revisit your letter, look back on your progress, further clarify your vision, and readjust as you identify your purpose and your way is revealed.

And if you practice the discipline of communication enough, you'll gain the ability to effortlessly instill action in yourself and others, and perhaps even control it.

Sound useful?

Then start turning your thoughts into action through the power of words. Wow.

We'll get back on track next time and talk about some more of the philosophical and sciencey aspects of Action. Might even delve into some of the latest debates. We'll see.

Let me know how writing your letter worked for you ;)

I'd love to hear about your action and results,
-Speed

P.S.: I've attached below one of the best-performing sales letters of all time, so you can use as inspiration. When I first set my eyes on it, as a fledgling copywriter just learning the ropes, I couldn't stop reading it. Upon finishing, I immediately went and got the book (which is decent I guess) and spent the following hours reading that.
Out of pure inertia!

So if you'd like a practical example of what a master can produce with this technique.

Read the document below.

You might not be its target audience, but notice how the 10 questions above are answered throughout its easy-to-read and exciting argumentation. I wrote it out by hand... twice. Maybe you can learn something from it, too.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• Your First 100 Million sales letter.pdf
    151.7 KB · Views: 21

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!