The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Project Thread - new product idea research

Idea threads

deevan

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
May 22, 2013
SF Bay Area, California
I started the thinking process of what I can do with
- import business using the research process outlined in various forum threads (Vigilante, et all)
- starting a nutrition supplement business

I started researching the import business, looking on Alibaba for different product niches. Somehow my mind got thinking about ideas for new products, or enhancements to products - in the area of mobile health devices (Fitbit, mybasis). I paused work on import research. I wrote down my ideas over the course of a few days.

I spoke to a patent lawyer today, one of my ideas is potentially patentable (and should have a market).

Here are some useful videos I listed to while driving to work - they might be useful to someone else.

Startups and Patents
Answers questions like: Is my idea patentable. How do software patents work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpn53WS8maQ

Licensing by Stephen Key
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRipP5j6IOQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6csI0dZzFRQ

Lean Process, Starting a business Steve Blank
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RTcXwJuCaU

Business Model Canvas - Ash M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o8uYdUaFR4

Also, for a patent, you need: novelty (something new), utility, and non-obvious (another average inventor with good knowledge of the field would not come up with it)

My next step will be to research more about the patents that exist in this area. My thoughts are that,
- even though I know I can file a provisional patent myself, I want to do things "right".
- I do want to research patents because I want to be realistic with myself, and not give myself false hopes
- I only want to file for a provisional if I have a chance to get a real patent. Cost of a lawyer filing the provisional is around $1500. Filing a provisional is not I could do myself as I have looked at patents in the area and they have very precise claims which the lawyer would need to work with/around.
- I want a strong provisional my next step would be to interview potential customers. The lawyer even suggested that the patent could be sale-able to a "patent troll" company, though probably not just in provisional form.

Things I need to do better
- be prepared. I didnt even bring a pen to the lawyer's office.
- wake up earlier

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

deevan

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
May 22, 2013
SF Bay Area, California
After doing research, I found someone on youtube speaking about this idea. So its not going to be patentable as I don't have anything unique on the method itself - there are other people who are already developing a full infrastructure (devices + cloud connectivity).

The niche is the internet of things. I was thinking of attaching a sensor to some items to track activity. For example, these days there are wifi scale, wireless door locks, water leak sensors, motion detectors, and they can all be controlled by a central hub.

I still think the niche is interesting. One approach is to build my own device that hooks into a home automation ecosystem. There are already existing sensors that detect motion, pressure, etc... I could just stick this on an object, and there would be some software layer involved to allow monitoring and perhaps control. Easier said than done. For example, I could make a coffee maker, or wifi robotic vaccuum, or dog collar (a lot of these ideas are being done)

Another approach is to become a service provider (provide setup of home automation services to people who don't know the first thing to do).
I don't have any home automation experience. I would have to learn this, plus get customers, plus have a team to do installation since I am not too handy with home installations. I could do the software and connectivity part of it.

Once I gain experience as a service provider, then I develop my own products that link to existing home automation systems.

Does anyone have any advice? I really hate to write big plans and ideas with the fear that is all talk and no execution, but this is just the next step I can see. (writing and asking your help)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.