The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[PROGRESS THREAD] Making my first game

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Rollio

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Apr 11, 2023
England
Devlog #00

Preface
I am making this thread to document my progress on my first (real) game and to keep myself accountable and motivated. I'll be using unreal engine 5, blender, and Inkscape. I've spent the last week and a half absorbing as much knowledge surrounding ue5 and Blender and feel ready now to put my skills to the test.

The game
I intend to spend a month on this game tops, my main objective is to learn as much as possible about ue5 blueprint and get better at modeling in Blender. All I want to make is a finished, and somewhat polished game.

I'll be making my first logs very soon, make sure to hold me accountable

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Rollio

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Apr 11, 2023
England
Devlog #01

Gun modelling+functionality

Using reference, which definitely wasn't an AK47 (for legal reasons), I modeled a gun for the game in blender in about 7 minutes. It's not pretty but it doesn't need to be.

1691668395540.png

Then I made the project file in Unreal. I'm using the first-person template but deleted almost everything except the movement controller which I can't be bothered to code. Next, I imported the Ak47 gun into Unreal and parented it to the player camera. Then I set up the basic shooting mechanic, though it only fires line traces for the time being:

1691666181898.png

Last edited:

Rollio

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Apr 11, 2023
England
Devlog #02

Took me a few hours but I added a grappling hook and sliding to the game. Sliding is still a bit buggy though.
1691769193187.png

I haven't really given a lot of thought to what I want the finished game to be but it'll probably be similar to games like titanfall though much simpler as it's my first game. A I said earlier, I plan on finishing it in about a month and will probably realease it on itch.io for free.

Rollio

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Apr 11, 2023
England
Devlog #2.5
Decided to rework the game and got rid of the gun and replaced it with a katana. I made this katana in blender but unfortunately couldn't figure out how to export the transformations and textures so when I imported it into blender it look much worse.
1691775810002.png
/\ blender
\/ unreal
1691776048879.png
This was pretty annoying though I can fix it later as I am more focused on functionality right now.
Here's how it looks in-game:

I'm not really sure how to position it on the player's screen so I'm open to any suggestions.
1691776853862.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.