The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Progress Journal Timez

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Eli

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Oct 4, 2011
SLC, Utah
Okay, so time to get down to bidness.

Another bad job of doom experience, check.

A tiny bit of money from horrid job, check.

Internetz, check.

Motivation to NEVER HAVE A JOB EVER #*$&#%@ AGAIN, check.

Alrighty, so first things first I have my goals and motivation written down, now I am at the stage where I need an idea so I can start DOIN WORK.

My first thoughts, at least a year ago, were some kind of website. Now though, not so much. To me it just seems like any a-hole that has a computer or heaven forbid an Ipad, has some sort of blog or website. It just seems like interneting is the thing to do these days. To me it goes against the " law of entry " ( <---- proof i did in FACT read the book :eusa_clap:). I feel the same way with apps as well. It just seems like everyone is doing it and thats just not my style.

I am more leaning towards the Inventing category. One of my strengths is solving problems. Super sweet skills i learned from construction. Everything in construction seems like a problem, so I had to evolve and learn to solve said problems. Some people also have told me that I should write something and that I am good at it. Not sure what they are smoking, but I am open to ideas.

One thing that I need to do is to switch my brain into " Idea Mode ", right now its hard for me to come up with anything so I need to put a lot of time into coming up with ideas no matter how crazy or moronic, just get me into idea mode.

Challenge numero uno. Come up with 50 ideas by Friday.

I remember reading or hearing somewhere to get on the Twitter machine and just search for " I hate " or " this makes me violently angry ". I will try that out and if anyone has any other ideas, it would be much appreciated. If I can come up with anything cool that helped me out, I will share as well.

DO WORK, Eli

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Eli

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Oct 4, 2011
SLC, Utah
Holy mother that was kind of rough at first...

Finally did it. Came up with not one, but FIFTY business ideas. My goal was Friday, didn't quite make it however with a true hustler attitude I continued through the night ( its 7:45 am Saturday here in Utah ) I'm tired as hell at this point, buuuuut no excuses.

The reason that I felt like I needed to do a " challenge " like this was A) Get my dome piece to switch into business mode. B) To practice coming up with ideas and finding solutions to problems. These were the main two reasons I had. One thing though that it also mysteriously taught me was that potential businesses and products are effing EVERYWHERE. It makes me kinda laugh at how people are like omg its my idea, MINE you cant have it :( The other thing was that one way I came up with a bunch of these was I just googlied " things I wish someone would invent " and hazzah friggin jackpot yo! People as well offer an awesome idea and are like durrr I dont have the resources to create this, or i'm not smart enough blah blah blah. Neither do I bro, but thats not stopping me! Its a bit sad really.

I must admit, I just like everyone else have these " limiting beliefs " or whatever you want to call them. However you have to treat them for what they are and just plow on through. At the beginning of this challenge, I had thoughts like " do you really need FIFTY ideas? " or my mind would come up with some other nonsense to get me to stop. However I understand human nature and know that your mind just wants you to stay comfortable and do things that guarantee your " safety " and survival. You have to push through that though. What is funny, the more and more you push through, eventually your mind is like " fine, he is going to do it anyway, might as well help so d-bag doesnt screw himself over ". You find that you start having fewer and fewer negative self sabotage-ish kind of thoughts and finally your brain is on your side. If you havent read it already " The Power Of The Subconscious Mind " is awesome and describes this in detail.

Well I know a lot of you want to know what ideas I came up with, so here they are and hopefully I may just get accused of being a troll a little less now..

#1 Ninja Condom holder
#2 Gaming Controller cleaning pad
#3 " Player " kit
#4 60 - 100 round paintball hopper ( pump paintball )
#5 Pump gun travel bag
#6 App that sends periodic updates to wife g/f of what you are doing in that moment ( cause you know that text is comin ) haha
#7 Vegetable/ Fruit container ( keeps em fresh longer )
#8 Garage door closed confirmation app
#9 Pocket Mosquito repellent ( not a spray, but like an electronic device )
#10 Automatic gaming console timer that automatically saves games and your children's grades/ sanity as well
#11 Car coating that deflects bird poop and tree sap
#12 Grocery store cart traffic lanes
#13 Table made from coaster material
#14 Food ordering slips ( like a deposit bank slip, so you can have your order ready BEFORE hand )
#15 Foot operated toilet seat lifter / closer
#16 Package of doom opener ( like the ungodly electronics packages that you have to use an effing chainsaw to get into )
#17 Motion sensing dog whistle ( to keep dogs out of the yard )
#18 Odorless table cleaning supplies for restaurants.
#19 Ice cream container that stave's off freezer burn
#20 Packages of 10 hotdog buns
#21 Automatic drawer closer
#22 Keychain of tasting spoons ( for cooking so you arent testing your food with the same spoon and grossing people out )
#23 Shoe bottom covers ( so you dont have to take off your shoes in peoples houses and not the ugly slip over type )
#24 Easily removable shower drain cover ( for you hairy folks ) ha
#25 Clothes hanger organizer ( so they don't get tangled into a ball of sharp wirey death )
#26 Sink disposal that wont let silverware through
#27 Anti " lose your drawstring " for hoodies and draw string pants / pajamas
#28 Red traffic light changing device
#29 Anti " eating in bed surprise bedcrums stuck to you " bib
#30 Back shaver
#31 Household toilet paper dispenser ( like the ones in public restrooms that hold several rolls )
#32 Full body bacon apron ( like a cooking snuggy that protects your from getting burned by delicious bacon grease )
#33 Toilet paper low caution light ( cause you know you forget to look until AFTER you are done doing your business to see if there is paper )
#34 Milk container that changes color when the milk has gone bad.
#35 Tv remote tracking device
#36 Book of comebacks for 100 year old sayings like " Practice make perfect..... But nobody is perfect so why practice ".
#37 Millionaire cubicle decorating ikea kit
#38 Pro gaming player manager
#39 College website on how to fix stuff in your apartment after super drunken nights
#40 Interior windshield cleaner
#41 Doggy door " dog wash "
#42 Phone case wallet
#43 Anti friction sock heel ( so when you put on your shoe it does pull your sock up and smash the hell out of your toes )
#44 Something that determines the calories as well as ingredients in your food
#45 Car rim mud / snow scraper
#46 Free online business college that REAL millionaires contribute and write courses for
#47 Word searching app that searches for words by definition ( for when that damn word is on the tip of your tongue but cant think of it)
#48 Goal Clock
#49 Self heating coffee mug
#50 Wrist watch that track caloric intake for the day.

And there you have it. Some are worthwhile, some even though a few might by just not worth it. Not all great ideas, but ideas in the right track none the less. TIME FOR SLEEP.

Eli

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Oct 4, 2011
SLC, Utah
Alllllllrighty than....

I have my 50 ideas, however I am not quite awesome enough YET to put all these into action. Time to narrow the list. For starters I am going to take it on down to 10 ideas and then Simon Cowell the crap out of those 10 until I have the glorious numero uno.

First though is I guess what should I be paying attention to, what sort of criteria the golden idea of blissful fairy freedom this idea should fall into? Obviously, it has to meet a NEED. There has to be people needing to buy because their life is a super gaping hole of doom without said product. Has to meet the law of effection.

Eli

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Oct 4, 2011
SLC, Utah
I now have my final 10. It was surprisingly difficult. Its easy to birth an idea, but to vote it off the island is a whole other story. I did figure out a way to make it a lot easier. One of the ways was to put the ideas listed in a chart and then across the top make categories in which to pick the idea apart. Just like the way MJ described in the book on how to make decisions. ( exactly like the chart he used to decide to move to Phoenix or not ). When I did this it was much easier. When I just looked at the idea as a whole, it was too easy for me to just say well its a good enough idea to turn into a business and I wasnt being as harsh as I needed to be. Once I broke down the idea into sections it was much easier to really look at it and make an intelligent decision.

Here are the criteria that I thought up to include in the chart.

Goal Potential
What this means is WILL IT GET YOU TO YOUR GOAL. I am sure most of you have a set amount of money, or goal you want to achieve. If the idea cant get you there, than vote that sum bitch off the island. If there is no chance of getting to your goal with the idea, why take the years to build up that idea?

Niche Size
Would your idea serve just your local community? Would it have a national audience or global. Law of effection, if you dont have it, you are super effed.

Occurrence Of Need
This one is kind of "out there", I mean its not really that important, but it definitely helped out on weeding out some weaker ideas. The reason I used this " filter ", is because to me, if you have a problem that occurs every single day, rather than once a year, obviously people will be more apt to buy a solution to a problem that pisses them off every day than once a year. You can deal with an annoyance much easier once a year than once a day. I used it more for determining " buyer motivation ".

Swiss Army Knife
Again this one is just kind of out there as well. Definitely not something that I would completely nix an idea for, but it helped weed some ideas out.
What I mean by " swiss army knife " is this. Can your product be focused on solving one problem, but also be marketed to a different audience for another problem as well? Can it serve multiple niches? If it can, effection increases. Sweetness

Sands of Time
This one is more towards longevity of your product. Say for instance fashion. That crap changes on the daily therefor your product goes obsolete and you have to start over. It helped me to chose ideas that the problem or need that it would be fixing would not go away anytime soon and thus, not having to start over. Having to start over = super balls :(

For now these are just a few of the things that I thought of when narrowing down my list. Hopefully everyone can take something away from it. I am definitely not done choosing my final idea yet and will have to probably come up with more filters to take it down to numero uno. Honestly though at this point I think its just going to come down to what I personally would like to move forward with the most. Then its time to validate said idea YAY!!!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Eli

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Oct 4, 2011
SLC, Utah
Wow, who would have thought that all the ideas I had ( except for the super stoooopid ones ) have been done, not just one time, but multiple times and by multiple companies...

Super annoying and kind of frustrating.

Looks like I will have to come up with some new ideas. Going to have to change my approach a bit maybe to come up with some more solid ideas. Not exactly sure how, better get to learnin some junk....

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.