The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Product Idea feedback request: App to monetize short video chat meet and greets (celeb/influencer/trades etc)

Idea threads

AusAppDev

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 2, 2022
Hello......would welcome thoughts on an app that allows anyone to monetize short video chat meetings (say 1 -10 minute duration....).
Could be from celebs to different trades that when that have a few minutes available, they could mark themselves available and take calls at a set price.

thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Cosmic

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 19, 2022
Definitely an interesting idea. Being able to talk to celebrities I think has significant value. For example, I would definitely pay to talk with MJ DeMarco. My only concern is that the platform is severely limited; 50-100 users would be great, but if we had, say, 10,000 users, we would not be able to supply 10000 people with celebrities to talk with. However, if this idea was marketed as a premium solution, (think 50th birthday/graduation level premium) it could be viable with, say, 50 concurrent users. I am interested to see where you take this!

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
This exists in different forms. Are you suggesting to bring these together in one place?

The alternative to being 'on call' is that these mini-meetings are scheduled / queued, allowing the person selling meetings to not waste any time waiting. A person in high demand can't afford to 'stream' and wait for customers. I think that is something you could solve.

If you do it the other way around, prioritizing the customer's choice of when to have the meeting, it is more akin to the feeling of calling a customer support hotline, not someone in high demand. Maybe you could do this approach also, for the case of 'professional advice'.

AusAppDev

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 2, 2022
Definitely an interesting idea. Being able to talk to celebrities I think has significant value. For example, I would definitely pay to talk with MJ DeMarco. My only concern is that the platform is severely limited; 50-100 users would be great, but if we had, say, 10,000 users, we would not be able to supply 10000 people with celebrities to talk with. However, if this idea was marketed as a premium solution, (think 50th birthday/graduation level premium) it could be viable with, say, 50 concurrent users. I am interested to see where you take this!

This exists in different forms. Are you suggesting to bring these together in one place?

The alternative to being 'on call' is that these mini-meetings are scheduled / queued, allowing the person selling meetings to not waste any time waiting. A person in high demand can't afford to 'stream' and wait for customers. I think that is something you could solve.

If you do it the other way around, prioritizing the customer's choice of when to have the meeting, it is more akin to the feeling of calling a customer support hotline, not someone in high demand. Maybe you could do this approach also, for the case of 'professional advice'.
Thanks for the feedback thoughts....

Correct, there meeting services where you can schedule more formal time and charge for it, there is the Cameo Celebrity pre recorded(and think they are moving into live celebrity chat if they haven't already)

But i'm thinking about anyone. Could be influencer, Linked In Consultant style, etc, to the plumber that can diagnose something quick and provide expert advice in 5 minutes. The platform would need to provide the intermediate match making magic (whether it's queing, find someone on a topic now, or alert me when so and so come online).

It could certainly evolve into scheduled but i think those type of scheduled interactions could be solved by existing platforms. I'm thinking ad hoc. The provider can monetize any time he/she wants to be available to take incoming calls.... Hope that add some extra color to it! Thanks.

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany
Could be influencer, Linked In Consultant style, etc, to the plumber that can diagnose something quick and provide expert advice in 5 minutes

Nice! I think I might use something like this. And you could monetize both from the User and the service provider. The former is willing to pay to get a quick answer to a question. The latter is willing to pay, in order to win a bigger contract.

AusAppDev

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 2, 2022
This already exists in a way. I got approached by Atheneum | Powered by 800,000+ Experts | Faster Insights. Better Data. to provide 1-hour expert calls.

600EU for an hour.
true...fair point...i'm a part of several of those (and participate in those occasionally)...but that's a different target market, matchmaking overhead and experience all together than i'm picturing with the app providing the matching between buyer/seller (celeb, influencer, trades, etc). Giving power to all, and then taking a % of whatever value/price is set by provider.

thanks for the input!

AusAppDev

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 2, 2022
Nice! I think I might use something like this. And you could monetize both from the User and the service provider. The former is willing to pay to get a quick answer to a question. The latter is willing to pay, in order to win a bigger contract.
Yes...interesting point. I had originally just envisioned the celeb/influencer, social media type person, engaging in quick meet and greets, and then extended thought into the trades and more. You bring up interesting point here about if say it's a trade how(or if) to capture any follow up value with a bigger contract. If say a 5 minute video handyman consult turned into a job.

Great thoughts. Thank you.

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany
Yes...interesting point. I had originally just envisioned the celeb/influencer, social media type person, engaging in quick meet and greets, and then extended thought into the trades and more. You bring up interesting point here about if say it's a trade how(or if) to capture any follow up value with a bigger contract. If say a 5 minute video handyman consult turned into a job.

I think you should focus on one of these potential customers. Either influencers or handymen. Try to serve one of these really good

I suggest you focus on one of these markets, either influencers or handymen. If you don’t know who you serve, it will show on your marketing and your communication and you might end up with a solution that‘s doesn’t serve either of the groups.

Why don‘t you conduct customer interviews. Talk to a certain amount of influencers and handymen and find out who has the bigger pain and also talk to followers and average people im need of handymen.

AusAppDev

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 2, 2022
I think you should focus on one of these potential customers. Either influencers or handymen. Try to serve one of these really good

I suggest you focus on one of these markets, either influencers or handymen. If you don’t know who you serve, it will show on your marketing and your communication and you might end up with a solution that‘s doesn’t serve either of the groups.

Why don‘t you conduct customer interviews. Talk to a certain amount of influencers and handymen and find out who has the bigger pain and also talk to followers and average people im need of handymen.
Great advice...i've gone down that path before trying to implement too broad a solution.

This was my first exploratory effort...will need to chew on a bit more with addition DD.

Thanks for the input.

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany
Great advice...i've gone down that path before trying to implement too broad a solution.

This was my first exploratory effort...will need to chew on a bit more with addition DD.

Thanks for the input.

Yes, I’ve personally done the same mistake. There is no shame in doing this mistake, as we probably were led by our passion for a possible solution. I learned to be more focused on user needs and value added to customers. Also, check out book „Talking to Humans“. It‘s a very quick read and helps with conducting customer interviews.

Why don’t you keep us posted in this thread! Make it your execution diary!

AusAppDev

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 2, 2022
Hey everybody

I could use and would welcome some advice, insights, perspective, thoughts if you would have any.

I keep coming back to thinking about this idea over last few months. In further retrospect, i've decided to take out (at least initially the concept of handymans, trades, etc, as anyone that is actively marketing a product/service could easily move the interaction off the app and i'd no longer have an opportunity to monetize the engagement.

This is based on the concept of a fee/ticket price to engage with a person on this platform idea.

That leads me back to a concept of celebrities/influencers or others that would intentionally prefer a level of disintermediation between customer and provider, and would NOT want to or have incentive to take the interaction off the platform (revealing any more personalized contact info...)

So where this lands me to summarize:
A platform that music performers, celebs, athletes could monetize short video meet and greets with fans, in a bit more ad hoc fashion than Cameo Live. Think Cameo meets Only Fans meets FB live. As example: pre-concert a performer could have sold a handful of 1 minute video meet and greet tickets with fans in the venue as an example. Or premium seats get this capability as part of the ticket price....

Anyone have some thoughts on how i could go about the next level of ideation with this, and testing this concept?

(Also welcome any candid thoughts if this could have any legs to run or stop wasting time!)

Thanks for any input!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.