The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Product Idea - Feedback Needed

Idea threads

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
A guy I know came to me with this idea - he built one for his own home. I did some research, and not much exists on the market, but I'm not sure it's enough to build a solid business around (or, potentially, license the idea).

The problem: Whole House fans offer little to no R-value (i.e. no insulation). However, whole house fans do wonders for cooling your house. Your attic and its insulation is a big factor in our cold or warm your house stays. Smud/PGE does NOT give any sort of credits when buying a whole house fan because of the lack of R-Value.

The Solution: An insulated box, in the attic, surrounding the whole-house-fan. The box has flaps, which open due to the forced induction of the whole house fan (made of foam). There are no mechanical hinges or motors to break. The hinges are made out of a non-conducting material. When the fan is shut off, the doors close automatically sealing off the attic. There is a stop to prevent the doors from opening too wide, and not shutting on their own. They can be retrofitted for existing fans, and can be sold with new fans.

I've attached photos, but they're very rough mock ups of a working product. Perhaps, with some persuasion, SMUD and PG&E would give energy/tax credits for those who install the boxes. The closest things I could find on the market are really expensive, small whole house fans with motorized, insulated doors. The product here is relatively cheap. Prototype is built, and it works. Thoughts? Bad idea? Something to investigate further, and test the market?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• whole-house-fan-box.jpg
    whole-house-fan-box.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 43
  • whole-house-fan-box2.jpg
    whole-house-fan-box2.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 95

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm confused on the whole concept due to not being familiar with home construction, or what goes on in an attic.

I know Costco used to offer "attic cooling fans" that seemed to be a big hit as they advertised potential energy savings.

My mother bought one.

Obviously, homeowner knowledge on what these do would be a fairly large challenge.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Thanks for the response, and I think you're right.

I have no idea how many people have whole house fans, if they are actually used, and how big of the lack of insulation problems are.

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas
Thanks for the response, and I think you're right.

I have no idea how many people have whole house fans, if they are actually used, and how big of the lack of insulation problems are.

Perhaps offering it as a energy saving item. I think these would sell if you did webinars and seminars describing(selling) it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I envision licensing these to one of the top whole house fan manufacturer's. But yes, I think the problem is educating consumers as to why they would be valuable. But, if it doesn't appear to be a good enough product, I don't want to spend the time on it. However, getting a provisional patent and trying to license it would be a good test to see if it's marketable and fastlane.

Edit: It's so simple, I'm shocked no one else has done this before.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.