The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Product/Electronic Designers Do you recognize this mechanism?

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Hey all, my team and I are working on a consumer electronics product and we're looking into implement this (Push-Hold-Push to unlock) mechanism. But we don't know what the part would be called.

Note I'm not talking about a cabinet. I'm showing a .GIF of a cabinet to illustrate the concept. What we're trying to do is on a smaller scale.

Think... like an SD card, you put in your camera or laptop. When you want it out, you push it again and it pops out. Does anybody know what goes into making something like that? We've constantly been searching for something to do with springs.

Thank you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I get what you mean. It would have to be in a sprung housing where the interface remains static and the removable media is located in the housing that moved back and forth engaging and dis-engaging.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
I think it is most often referred to as a push-push mechanism. Or push-hold push-release, push-in/push-out, etc.

There are different ways to implement it. Maybe this will get you started:

If you want an easy, related mechanism to study, how about a ball-point pen? Many have a push-push button controlled from the back of the pen.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
I get what you mean. It would have to be in a sprung housing where the interface remains static and the removable media is located in the housing that moved back and forth engaging and dis-engaging.
That's what we've thought of so far, I guess it's the specific components that we're wondering about. Thank you.

I think it is most often referred to as a push-push mechanism. Or push-hold push-release, push-in/push-out, etc.

There are different ways to implement it. Maybe this will get you started:

If you want an easy, related mechanism to study, how about a ball-point pen? Many have a push-push button controlled from the back of the pen.
Thank you for the links, they're helpful.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
@B. Cole Is this something you could provide insight on?

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
@B. Cole Is this something you could provide insight on?

Aaah yes - used many a one in cabinet making, it’s called a push latch. Most of them work with a magnet in the latch, that contacts a steel strike plate attached to the door or drawer front. The non- magnetic versions have 2 “fingers” that pinch a stud mounted on the door/drawer front like a crab claw.

The function exists in electronic power buttons in a lighter duty form. Not sure what it’s called there, they seem to have a stop built in to keep them together.

Ditto above - a ball point pen, but it’s configuration gives a rotating action to change position with tabs at different depths on the cylindrical body.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Aaah yes - used many a one in cabinet making, it’s called a push latch. Most of them work with a magnet in the latch, that contacts a steel strike plate attached to the door or drawer front. The non- magnetic versions have 2 “fingers” that pinch a stud mounted on the door/drawer front like a crab claw.

The function exists in electronic power buttons in a lighter duty form. Not sure what it’s called there, they seem to have a stop built in to keep them together.

Ditto above - a ball point pen, but it’s configuration gives a rotating action to change position with tabs at different depths on the cylindrical body.

That was SUPER informative! Thank you! :)

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
That was SUPER informative! Thank you! :)

I did a quick look for some cross sections to try and see what the guts looked like, to no avail. I’d imagine you could pick a few and get the spec sheets/exploded diagrams, or just swing by the hardware store and buy one to dissect. Good luck man, excited to see what you do with it!

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Happened to find this rendering of a push-push SD card implementation. You can see it uses a spring lever following a groove:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVO042whQ_4

The various "push" buttons are just called PB switches, or pushbutton, switches. The mechanical push-push types like the one below used to be a lot more common:

...but with smaller and cheaper electronics they're gradually being replaced by the "laptop power button" style push-push switches. Those use a circuit to do the job instead of simple mechanics (eg: spring lever and/or rotating cam).

Video is great for showing the action of (implementations of) a push-push PB switch. And, for reasons I can't fully explain I can get kind of nerdy about topics like this. I guess I like mechanical things. This one uses a ball bearing trapped in a grooved cam:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Meltd5Kclqs

A nice compact design using a lever bar, somewhat related to the SD card rendering:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ0BlovBWtk

Similar, also related to the SD card implementation:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JzjSsxSsb8

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Happened to find this rendering of a push-push SD card implementation. You can see it uses a spring lever following a groove:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVO042whQ_4

The various "push" buttons are just called PB switches, or pushbutton, switches. The mechanical push-push types like the one below used to be a lot more common:

...but with smaller and cheaper electronics they're gradually being replaced by the "laptop power button" style push-push switches. Those use a circuit to do the job instead of simple mechanics (eg: spring lever and/or rotating cam).

Video is great for showing the action of (implementations of) a push-push PB switch. And, for reasons I can't fully explain I can get kind of nerdy about topics like this. I guess I like mechanical things. This one uses a ball bearing trapped in a grooved cam:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Meltd5Kclqs

A nice compact design using a lever bar, somewhat related to the SD card rendering:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ0BlovBWtk

Similar, also related to the SD card implementation:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JzjSsxSsb8

Holy smokes! Thanks for provide the information. I’ll look into a push button as well and see if we need something more similar to the latch, push button, or sd card mechanism.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.