The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Produce short TV shows

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
A small company in Texas is making travel videos and licensing them to local Texas TV stations. The episodes seem to be either 3.5 or 22 minutes long, I guess they are targeting 5-minute and 30-minute segment markets. Couldn't this be done with other topics, like car repair, home repair, health, business, etc? Maybe a season of well made 3.5-minute "Vanlife USA" shows could be licensed.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyADQTcHzRQ

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
There is a reason why, Hulu, Netflix etc are paid channels.

The reason is average ads revenue per viewer online is still much lower
then revenue on old TV.

And the reason behind that reason is targeting and tracking.
Online you exactly know how much you spend and earn.
On TV advertisers can guesstimate at best.
So they do carpet bombing equivalent of advertising - throw it at everything, pay through the nose and hope for profit.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
There is a reason why, Hulu, Netflix etc are paid channels.

The reason is average ads revenue per viewer online is still much lower
then revenue on old TV.

And the reason behind that reason is targeting and tracking.
Online you exactly know how much you spend and earn.
On TV advertisers can guesstimate at best.
So they do carpet bombing equivalent of advertising - throw it at everything, pay through the nose and hope for profit.

So, internet channels are "paid" channels because the viewer monetization is too efficient, whereas in old TV the advertisers have to spend more money, resulting in it being more profitable?

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
A family member works at Pixar and does some Youtube videos. I need to show him this. I'd guess if anyone could do something like this, he could.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
So, internet channels are "paid" channels because the viewer monetization is too efficient, whereas in old TV the advertisers have to spend more money, resulting in it being more profitable?
Exactly.

There are estimates about Cost Per Thousand views for TV, ranging between $25* and $40** (both for rather prime time shows).

To compare with Youtube, people get $1 per thousand views for random topics
and around $15*** for personal finance channels (which is one of more profitable markets on YT).

Below are few sources .
*What's a Viewer Worth?
**Joe Belkin's answer to How much advertising revenue does a television show make per million viewers? - Quora
View: https://youtu.be/opXTv-SxJLw?t=317

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
Exactly.

There are estimates about Cost Per Thousand views for TV, ranging between $25* and $40** (both for rather prime time shows).

To compare with Youtube, people get $1 per thousand views for random topics
and around $15*** for personal finance channels (which is one of more profitable markets on YT).

Below are few sources .
*What's a Viewer Worth?
**Joe Belkin's answer to How much advertising revenue does a television show make per million viewers? - Quora
View: https://youtu.be/opXTv-SxJLw?t=317

My original post was about people making TV shows and licensing them to local TV stations, I'm not sure how your comparison between internet and broadcast shows applies. The business I used as an example does post their videos to Youtube, but I don't think that is their primary monetization (since they have very few views).

If your saying broadcast TV is more profitable because it is less efficient, that would seem to agree with the idea of licensing it to local TV stations instead of just running a YouTube channel.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
My original post was about people making TV shows and licensing them to local TV stations, I'm not sure how your comparison between internet and broadcast shows applies. The business I used as an example does post their videos to Youtube, but I don't think that is their primary monetization (since they have very few views).
Sorry for confusion, i skimmed up their YT channel and thought that they post short previews only - like a promotion for their broadcast shows.

If your saying broadcast TV is more profitable because it is less efficient, that would seem to agree with the idea of licensing it to local TV stations instead of just running a YouTube channel.
Yes, that's it.
You brought interesting example of going offline to make the show work.
They probably wouldn't be able to finance it via YT only.

Last edited:

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
Sorry for confusion, i skimmed up their YT channel and thought that they post short previews only - like a promotion for their broadcast shows.

Yes, that's it.
Your brought interesting example of going offline to make the show work.
They probably wouldn't be able to finance it via YT only.

I like the fact that they are retaining ownership and licensing it to different companies, which follows "CENTS", while just running a YT channel does not.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.