The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

ProBlogger.com Espouses Fastlane Philosophy

Anything related to matters of the mind

2 Shoes

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Dec 12, 2010
I found this link on Twitter, while I was procrastinating to get a product created.

Don’t Be Paralyzed By Media Consumption in 2011

One of the big concepts that hit me hard in The Millionaire Fastlane was to be a producer rather than a consumer. I'm still currently struggling with thing as I have been a student my whole life and consuming information is all I know. Most days, I get to the end of my day and I found I've not accomplished near what I wanted to do. :smx4: I'm working on it though!

I know most of us struggle with this, but for those of you that have made the transition, what fundamentally changed or how did you do it? I welcome any advice for making the transition.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
I'm working on it... Along with other things. (Such as discipline). One thing that's helping me, is using an alarm program and setting it for one hour. I make it play some music and popup a message box after that hour, which gives me a good chance to realize I just spent an hour doing- whatever. Right now it's got 25 minutes left, and had I not been reminded of it, after it went off I would have said "So this past hour I spent about half of it playing desktop dungeons (a game that seems literally designed to make you waste as much time as humanly possible) and the other half reading/posting on the fastlane forums."

Now I'll add "I wrote out my days to-do list." as well. Next hour I'll start one of the tasks :p

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010
I use only Firefox for browsing mostly and installed Leechblock plugin to block the following sites during productive hours:

1) Facebook
2) Gmail
3) Forums (including this one)

xx

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
Darren is a good man. When I was a Channel Editor at b5 he really treated everyone with respect and dignity and really tried to help others build their blogs. I remember when he linked to one of my articles my traffic skyrocketed for not just days but I was still getting hits from his site for months after. He really knows his SEO stuff. I have found many searches to lead to some of his articles that he wrote months ago or even years ago. That's the key, is to get your old articles to be hit on often. Most think once those articles get archived and fall off the home page then they are out of sight, out of mind. He remembers all the articles he writes and links back to them and vice versa. He is the master at internal linking.

Anyway, sorry about it being slightly off topic but thought i would toss that in there. :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

alainn

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Sep 6, 2010
I have this problem too...

I was a big consumer and to a certain extent I still am unfortunately.

I'm transitioning to being a producer.

I used to watch a lot of television - several hours a day. Then, I started reading all kinds of success books and a lot of them taught that TV is a huge time-waster(as you probably already know) and that you should quit watching so much of it. So I did. I found that quitting cold turkey worked the best for me.

One day, I just stopped watching TV entirely... it lasted for several months and I had many extra hours every day to do other things - to produce. It was huge. Suddenly, the excuse of not having enough time wasn't valid anymore because if I had enough time to waste watching TV 2-3 or more hours a day, I could invest that time instead in something productive...

Watching shows and movies online slowly crept back into my life but reading this post has inspired me to recommit to this thing and quit it cold turkey again. It worked before. It will work again. Anyone reading this can do the same.

Those extra hours every day can go a long way if invested the right way. Some of the things I've replaced this wasted time with is:

an hour of exercise
an hour of learning more about my field(becoming more knowledgeable and all-around better every day)
an hour spent doing the most important things that need to get done(hour of power - often, what you avoid doing the most, the things you procrastinate are what you really should be working on the most)

sorry for the lenghty post.

I hope this is of help to someone

Any one else have any other ideas as to how to transition from consumer to producer?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.