The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Post-employment litigation

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Mammoth

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Dec 4, 2019
Canada
Hello Fastlaners,

I just found out that the owner of the company that I work for is suing a former manager for starting his business while he was still working here.

I know that every non-compete is different and that laws in Canada vs. USA are different, but does anyone have experiences of this happening to them or to someone that they know?

I haven't incorporated my business yet, but maybe this is something I should take into consideration before I do.

Any input or advice is welcomed.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Lucky Lu

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Nov 2, 2019
Newport Beach, California
Well there is a difference between a non compete clause or a specific agreement to limit the ability of the former employee to engage in activities that are in direct competition or in the same field as the former employer, and the general legal limitation that prevents an employee or associate to utilize confidential information or trade secrets, formulas or know how in order to disloyally compete with the previous company he worked for.

Also is generally consider on every legislation as an unfair commercial practice to poach clients or engage in detrimental communications regarding the former employer or his company on order to gain new clients or make the previous clients switch.

Without knowing the details on the case it is nos possible to make an assessment and really give an opinion regarding your particular situation but feel free to explain.

The validity of the NCC varies from case to case and can depend on state law, on how restrictive the agreement is in terms of time and the radius of the region, and on what the employer construes as competition.

Non-compete agreements usually are considered legally binding as long as they have reasonable limitations. That refers to time frames, geographical boundaries and personal or commercial reasonable behavior.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
New Course! Upwork Client Psychology I #UdemyApproved! Upwork Client Psychology I is designed...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Welcome to 2020, I wanted to add in a quick note about gratitude for the new year...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

The 2020 Fastlane Summit

This event SOLD OUT in October. For authorized resale tickets, please check ticket resales or contact the forum directly.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom