The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Poll - Three forks in the road

Marketing, social media, advertising

What would you do? (See context in full description below)

• B) Take new job (try exciting new projects, earn better pay - very slowlane of me)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D) …. No idea

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

OllieAstra

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 11, 2021
Hey everyone- I am a senior marketing executive, who passionately wants to start an entrepreneurial venture. Only problem, my ideas seem small and not scalable. I make a decent salary, but recently have been tempted to take a year-long sabbatical by spending 5-6 months hiking the Appalachian Trail and then spending another 5-6 months searching for another 9-5. I have enough saved to take the time off, but will need to find another 9-5 when I return or maybe figure out a business plan.

I was also recently offered another role, similar position but slightly better pay, and likely more exciting projects. I am not particularly looking to switch jobs, but could do it for the right compensation. If I take the new role the hike is not going to happen - at least highly unlikely in the next 3-5 years.

Thanks in advance!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Metz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Apr 12, 2019
NW Washington
I guess my two questions are:
  • How important is that hike to you?
  • How important is striking it out and testing one of your ideas and, providing you still have a good chunk of change left over, can get something off the ground before searching for that second 9-to-5?

OllieAstra

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 11, 2021
I guess my two questions are:
  • How important is that hike to you?
  • How important is striking it out and testing one of your ideas and, providing you still have a good chunk of change left over, can get something off the ground before searching for that second 9-to-5?
I am a fairly avid hiker, so the AT has been on the list for a few years. I will have some savings left after the hiking expenses, so theoretically could test an idea with that remainder. I am fairly certain I don’t quite have the scalable idea yet though. I have been putting together business plans since 2016 but when I crunch the numbers the scale isn’t there… so frustrating!

Metz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Apr 12, 2019
NW Washington
If you don't mind my asking, what are your stumbling blocks to scale?

But yeah, sounds like the trail is non-negotiable so.. definitely do that at least (at least imo).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.