The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

planning to quit my job... wonder if it sounds rational.

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

genesisk5

New Contributor
Mar 25, 2020
south korea
Nice to meet you fastlaners!
in my company I usually have to work overtime for 2 hours on average in addition to 9-5,
so it's practically 9-7. and because the city my company is at has very expensive house rental fee,
I have to spend 2 hours (1 hour one-way) for commuting and that leaves me with only 2 hours at maximum
available for preparing my business and educating my self during week days.
the job also demands high mental dedication so It's quite hard to stay motivated and productive when I get home.

I'm 28 and since I have no family to support, I'm looking to quit my current job
and get a new one that requires less working hours and mental dedication (thus pays less of course)
so that I can spend more time on preparing for my own business and learn web development to make website for it.

I think that my plan is rational and makes sense but at the same time, since I've always been giving up on things
I promised to work hard on, I feel guilty and feel like a loser for quitting my job, like I'm some one who can't
stick with something and overcome the hardships and always looking for ways to escape and make excuses.

what do you guys think? thank you very much in advance.
best regards.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jan 19, 2016
in my company I usually have to work overtime for 2 hours on average in addition to 9-5,
so it's practically 9-7. and because the city my company is at has very expensive house rental fee,
I have to spend 2 hours (1 hour one-way) for commuting and that leaves me with only 2 hours at maximum
the job also demands high mental dedication so It's quite hard to stay motivated and productive when I get home.

I'm 28 and since I have no family to support, I'm looking to quit my current job
and get a new one that requires less working hours and mental dedication (thus pays less of course)
so that I can spend more time on preparing for my own business and learn web development to make website for it.

I think that my plan is rational and makes sense but at the same time, since I've always been giving up on things
I promised to work hard on, I feel guilty and feel like a loser for quitting my job, like I'm some one who can't
stick with something and overcome the hardships and always looking for ways to escape and make excuses.

best regards.
I don't know man seems like you have to sort this out first.
by the way welcome to the forum.

Arnaud.

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Dec 8, 2019
Hello, really dependon you.
For my part, I did a job like 9-5 and I worked over than 40h after this job for my own business. Result I failed, I burnt literally.
The point was that I had my IT job plus my IT business and face a family problem. Years after, I want to start a business again and I will focus on this. Maybe, in the early days, I will work for a company a couple hours a week to maintain social link (very important for me).

Tell us a bit more on your plans

jjshouse

PARKED
Mar 28, 2020
India

best regards.
I think you have better solution of your problem because its happening with you and you understand better than us .... so we can suggest only that look forward what you can do .... try new one which is most suitable for you ... and main point is think silently with cool mind on your situation and decision and then take your step.

sparechange

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

best regards.
stick with your crappy job until you save up a small nest, (depending on your comfort level, it could be $5k, $10k) whatever your life expenses are, have them covered for a few months at the very least before you jump off the cliff.

then you could quit and find a different job with less hours. OR go allin on a business if you have something in mind. I think that's the best approach.

OP
OP
genesisk5

genesisk5

New Contributor
Mar 25, 2020
south korea
thank you so much guys! people around me who are not fastlaners would definitely have said that I am escaping and I better stick with it. but you guys are not like them as I expected. I'm encouraged to execute my plan. thanks again guys! have a great weekend!

alexkuzmov

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
in my company I usually have to work overtime for 2 hours on average in addition to 9-5
So why work there at all? Why not quit tomorrow? What does a business have to do with this?
You cant get these hours back. Overtime = more for them and less for you.
Clearly you dont value your time.

Also you say you lose 2 hours in travel?
So thats 4 hours each work day that tou cant get back.

Before working on your business maybe examine this first: Why dont I value my time?

OP
OP
genesisk5

genesisk5

New Contributor
Mar 25, 2020
south korea
So why work there at all? Why not quit tomorrow? What does a business have to do with this?
You cant get these hours back. Overtime = more for them and less for you.
Clearly you dont value your time.

Also you say you lose 2 hours in travel?
So thats 4 hours each work day that tou cant get back.

Before working on your business maybe examine this first: Why dont I value my time?
you are absolutely correct. it's been only about a month since I read TMF & Unsicripted and I'm on my way to transition to the fastlane. but to be honest I didn't know I was throwing away that much time each day. thank you for pointing it out so that I'm more alert.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
Just had a personal highlight of the program so far - @GuitarManDan gave a one hour Zoom talk on...
MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
I joined @Kak's business incubator in the first week of May. During our daily chats we uncovered...
MARKETPLACE How To Create A 100K-1M+ Sales Funnel
While this is a marketplace post marking the re-launch of my popular course “5-Steps to Create a...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
This is your May reminder that you can do this. I'll keep it short. These are the May promos...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks! This is a cool idea, actually. I would like to use your experience as I heard that these...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
would this be available in paper version? I know it's short, but most of my family is...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Here is where you eliminate uncertainty from the future! I wanted to post this image as I...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock