The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

planning to quit my job... wonder if it sounds rational.

Anything related to matters of the mind

genesisk5

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Mar 25, 2020
south korea
Nice to meet you fastlaners!
in my company I usually have to work overtime for 2 hours on average in addition to 9-5,
so it's practically 9-7. and because the city my company is at has very expensive house rental fee,
I have to spend 2 hours (1 hour one-way) for commuting and that leaves me with only 2 hours at maximum
available for preparing my business and educating my self during week days.
the job also demands high mental dedication so It's quite hard to stay motivated and productive when I get home.

I'm 28 and since I have no family to support, I'm looking to quit my current job
and get a new one that requires less working hours and mental dedication (thus pays less of course)
so that I can spend more time on preparing for my own business and learn web development to make website for it.

I think that my plan is rational and makes sense but at the same time, since I've always been giving up on things
I promised to work hard on, I feel guilty and feel like a loser for quitting my job, like I'm some one who can't
stick with something and overcome the hardships and always looking for ways to escape and make excuses.

what do you guys think? thank you very much in advance.
best regards.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jan 19, 2016
in my company I usually have to work overtime for 2 hours on average in addition to 9-5,
so it's practically 9-7. and because the city my company is at has very expensive house rental fee,
I have to spend 2 hours (1 hour one-way) for commuting and that leaves me with only 2 hours at maximum
the job also demands high mental dedication so It's quite hard to stay motivated and productive when I get home.

I'm 28 and since I have no family to support, I'm looking to quit my current job
and get a new one that requires less working hours and mental dedication (thus pays less of course)
so that I can spend more time on preparing for my own business and learn web development to make website for it.

I think that my plan is rational and makes sense but at the same time, since I've always been giving up on things
I promised to work hard on, I feel guilty and feel like a loser for quitting my job, like I'm some one who can't
stick with something and overcome the hardships and always looking for ways to escape and make excuses.

best regards.
I don't know man seems like you have to sort this out first.
by the way welcome to the forum.

Arnaud.

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Dec 8, 2019
Hello, really dependon you.
For my part, I did a job like 9-5 and I worked over than 40h after this job for my own business. Result I failed, I burnt literally.
The point was that I had my IT job plus my IT business and face a family problem. Years after, I want to start a business again and I will focus on this. Maybe, in the early days, I will work for a company a couple hours a week to maintain social link (very important for me).

Tell us a bit more on your plans

jjshouse

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 28, 2020
India

best regards.
I think you have better solution of your problem because its happening with you and you understand better than us .... so we can suggest only that look forward what you can do .... try new one which is most suitable for you ... and main point is think silently with cool mind on your situation and decision and then take your step.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

best regards.

stick with your crappy job until you save up a small nest, (depending on your comfort level, it could be $5k, $10k) whatever your life expenses are, have them covered for a few months at the very least before you jump off the cliff.

then you could quit and find a different job with less hours. OR go allin on a business if you have something in mind. I think that's the best approach.

genesisk5

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Mar 25, 2020
south korea
thank you so much guys! people around me who are not fastlaners would definitely have said that I am escaping and I better stick with it. but you guys are not like them as I expected. I'm encouraged to execute my plan. thanks again guys! have a great weekend!

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
in my company I usually have to work overtime for 2 hours on average in addition to 9-5
So why work there at all? Why not quit tomorrow? What does a business have to do with this?
You cant get these hours back. Overtime = more for them and less for you.
Clearly you dont value your time.

Also you say you lose 2 hours in travel?
So thats 4 hours each work day that tou cant get back.

Before working on your business maybe examine this first: Why dont I value my time?

genesisk5

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Mar 25, 2020
south korea
So why work there at all? Why not quit tomorrow? What does a business have to do with this?
You cant get these hours back. Overtime = more for them and less for you.
Clearly you dont value your time.

Also you say you lose 2 hours in travel?
So thats 4 hours each work day that tou cant get back.

Before working on your business maybe examine this first: Why dont I value my time?

you are absolutely correct. it's been only about a month since I read TMF & Unsicripted and I'm on my way to transition to the fastlane. but to be honest I didn't know I was throwing away that much time each day. thank you for pointing it out so that I'm more alert.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.