The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Picking a niche

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Wiezel

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 15, 2018
The Netherlands
It's time for me to get the entrepreneur life started.
No more average jobs, no more time and money wasting.

I really want to get going but I'm stuck in my head on what niche to focus on.
I've taken a look at my hobbies but not really sure if I should go there (gaming).
My plan is to get a niche, narrow it down to a specific part of that niche and get in contact with as many business owners as possible to find out what the problems and needs are for this area.

If something is mentioned a lot I might have a thing to get going with, learn the skill and start going the fastlane.

Can anyone suggest me on how to get this sorted out? I really can't wait to get going.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 20, 2014
What else do you need? Write out a list of niches that come to mind (pets, lawyers, accountants, doctors, gyms, car dealers, etc). and start making calls. Sort by which niche industry interests you the most and see what sticks. If the problems they're describing are either too daunting for you, move on to the next niche.

Seriously, just pick one and start calling. Every niche has needs.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Taking suggestions from the mob is the fastest way to fail. We don't know what you're good at, what you're bad at, or what you can be bothered to learn. Only you know those things.

Don't do something just because somebody else had success doing it. Do something because you are capable of doing it and there is a market need you can fulfill.

rwhyan

The higher, the fewer
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 27, 2017
CA
Either:

1. Choose the most unsexy, boring niche that your past experience, strengths, and skills apply to.

OR

2. Choose the niche that your past experience, strengths, and skills apply the most to.

MHP368

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
I'd reread the books first.

Why not start a business in a multibillion or trillion dollar industry and just do it better than the competition?

You might be hampering yourself from the getgo just from having "find a niche" as a mindset

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Don't be afraid of competition. Just beat them at their own game.

When I started my first business, my competitors were giant multinationals. After a few years I had two of them referring customers to me for those problems that were too hard for them.

When I started my second business, the major supplier had about 90% of the sub-niche that was the most lucrative within the wider market sector. That was their big weakness.

It made them complacent, with poor customer service and poor quality control being the main consequences. Within 2 years I had over 30% of that market and not long after that I had over 90%. That competitor relinquished that market sector and moved into another that was of no interest to me.

I never sold on price. In fact my prices were the highest in that market.

Walter

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox' Web School's "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
This year has been quite crazy so far, and a lot of people have reached out to ask me if web...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Got it several weeks ago and have listened to it several times now. I've definitely met both...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Just got off the phone with @LightHouse. Having just a 45 minute conversation with him has...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Out of curiosity, what types of businesses are you advising on? (I read this whole thread...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Just bought 5 of your Upwork courses. Thanks for making valuable content Lex!
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks for your offer to look at my book. Here's the link to the squeeze page Buy The Prosperous...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom