The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Personal Financial Ratios

REI

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Oct 2, 2007
I have working hard over the last few months of reorganizing my personal finance system with the following goals in mind:
1. Reduce/Eliminate Paper Statements
2. Streamline Money Management
(My wife is finally using MS Money rather than excel spreadsheets to track expenses.)
3. Create Annual Reports (Cash Flow, Expenses, Net Worth)
4. 10-Year Financial Plan (Includes forecasting income and net worth)
5. Inventory Personal Assets with estimated value
6. Backups (MS Money files, statements, tax returns, etc.)
7. Create a Document Inventory for important papers.

I am in the final stages of step 3 of organizing my personal finances. One of the final steps is to create performance measures. My online research has lead to the ratios below. What other personal financial ratios do you track?

Key Ratios

Liquidity Ratio
Formula: Liquid Assets / Monthly Expenses
Our Example: $68,070/$6,892 = 9.9
Target: 3-6 months
Housing Payment Ratio
Formula: Monthly Housing Costs / Monthly Gross Income
Our Example: $825 / $7585 = 10.88%
Target: Less than 28%
Solvency Ratio
Formula: Total Assets / Total Debt
Our Example: $265,570 / $146,654 = 1.81
Target: Greater than 1.0
Savings Ratio
Formula: Savings per Year / Annual Gross Income
Our Example: $18,000 / $91,000 = 19.78%
Target: 8-25% depending on age
Debt to Income Ratio
Formula: Annual Debt Payment / Annual Gross Income
Our Example: $9900 / $91,000 = 10.88%
Target: Less than or equal to 30%

Savings Rate
Calculate what percentage of your income you are saving on an annual basis. Typically,
you’ll want to save a minimum of 10% a year. This would include 401(k) contributions and Individual
Retirement Account contributions. If your employer matches your 401(k) contributions, you can include
those contributions as part of your annual savings.

Annual Net Worth Rate
Debt to Net Worth Ratio

EXAMPLES
Salary $110,000
Mortgage $125,000
Auto Loan $25,000
Investments $260,000
Annual Savings $10,000
Employer 401(k) Match $3,000

Based on these statistics, the hypothetical individual ratios are as follows:

Savings to Income: $260,000 / $110,000 = 2.36
Debt to Income: ($125,000 + $25,000) / $110,000 = 1.36
Savings Rate to Income: ($10,000 + $3,000) / $110,000 = 11.8 %

A hypothetical example - Let’s look at a typical 50-year-old dentist. Together with his 48-year-old wife, they have a combined income of $225,000. This family has the following financial circumstances:
Income: $225,000
Mortgage: $200,000
Auto loan and lease: $25,000
Consumer debt: $3,000 (monthly revolving balance on credit cards - not paid off)
Total savings: $700,000 ($400,000 in investments and practice sale value of 50 percent of practice production of $600,000, equaling $300,000)
Annual savings: $24,000 ($20,000 for dentist, $4,000 for spouse)
Employer 401(k) match: $4,000 (for spouse)
Based on this scenario, the couple has the following Personal Financial Ratios:
Savings to Income: $700,000 ÷ $225,000 = 3.11
Debt to Income: $200,000 + $ 25,000 + $3,000 = $228,000 ÷ $225,000 = 1.01
Savings Rate to Income: $24,000 + $4,000 = $28,000 ÷ $225,000 = 0.124 = 12.4 percent
Let’s evaluate how our hypothetical couple is doing. Savings to Income is low (3.11 vs. target of 4.0), Debt to Income is moderately high (1.01 vs. target of 0.75), yet Savings Rate to Income is very good (12.4 percent vs. target of 9.5 percent). A strong Savings Rate to Income will bring other ratios in line within a couple of years assuming no other changes.
REFERENCES
http://zmod.org/?p=16
http://moneysmartlife.com/stop-comparing-your-finances-with-others-five-financial-ratios-to-keep-you-on-track/

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Interesting Thread!!

I look at these in two different "phases" and I think they change a bit depending upon the phase.

Phase 1.

Balance Sheet - - Net Worth. Grow it and Grow it some more.
Liquidity Ratio - - If you are highly leveraged (which will come from aggressive net worth accumulation) then having some liquid assets available is important. Gotta cover that leverage with something.

The rest.... savings not relevent for me. Nor is debt to income. As long as I have my liquid reserves and my target date for realizing my gains.

Phase 2.

Convert net worth to passive income. Here - - - the passive return you are getting on your assets becomes #1 for me.

Example: SFR with 300K equity and negative 100/mo cashflow. Time to trade into something with a better return!

REI

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Oct 2, 2007
From my online research and personal preference, I have put together a list of personal financial statement (PFS) ratios that I thought was useful. I hope this is helpful for others when evaluating your finances.

Also, I have a personal financial statement (PFS) in excel if you need it.

Enjoy!

SoBayJim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Mar 31, 2008
Los Angeles
REI,

Well thought out and documented spreadsheet. A couple of questions. Why the emphasis on including personal property in the net worth calculation? I can see vehicles, but most other personal property is difficult to put a value on and typically depreciates rapidly. Next, does your net worth growth rate a gross rate or net of contributions?

Another metric I use is weighted cost of money. It is a very quick method of determining if I'm paying too high an interest rate and should shuffle some debt.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

REI

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Oct 2, 2007
SoBayJim,

I decided to add personal property into my net worth calculation because I track all expenses down to the penny using software. So, I wanted to compare what I actual spent on personal property versus the value for which it could be sold. I track the major items such as the depreciated value of automobiles, furniture, clothing, art, electronics, etc. Most of the other items we end up donating to charity. One of benefits of doing this is that it helps my wife see the difference between what we paid for items and what we get from her selling it at our yard sale. This helps to curtail her spending a little.

I have a personal financial statement that I use to keep track of my net worth (actual dollar amount). But, the Net Worth Growth Rate is the percentage change from one year to the next. I want to know the rate in which my net worth is growing or declining.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.