The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

People not let you enjoy things that are "above" your financial or status level?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships
D

Deleted85763

I remember when I was just starting out in my business career and I bought a nice upscale jacket. This jacket was affordable to me, maybe it was $200.00, but most people of my then current status would not wear such a jacket. It is seen mostly on upper class people. Well, one day I rode my bicycle to the supermarket in the US this guy sees me get off my bicycle and as I'm walking into the store he starts motioning like "Yea, you're not rich. You just got off a bicycle. You're fake".

I thought this was interesting particularly since I had heard there is a type of bird that is of light color but there are some that are dark. These dark one have status in the bird community. Sometimes a light colored bird will roll around in berry ink to become dark. If other birds discover this they peck at the "fake" bird.

So this is almost exactly what happened to me. But it has happened at other times with other things. Has anyone else experienced this, too?

I will add that when I "made it" everyone shut up about anything I did or said. I just find it fascinating that people behave like that. I could care less if someone with little money wore expensive Gucci shoes or whatever. I might be like "Maybe they have little money now but they are showing they want to and maybe will have a lot money in the future.".

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
If a person prioritizes brand clothes (status) over a car for transportation (functionality) it can be perceived as incongruent, a coping mechanism and an attempt to flex on his/her surroundings. It is not logical to spend more on a jacket than on your transportation. In most places, major purchases such as your house or car signal your wealth / status more accurately than any accessory you wear. In some 'poorer' cultures, accessorial markers are more important.

D

Deleted85763

If a person prioritizes brand clothes (status) over a car for transportation (functionality) it can be perceived as incongruent, a coping mechanism and an attempt to flex on his/her surroundings. It is not logical to spend more on a jacket than on your transportation. In most places, major purchases such as your house or car signal your wealth / status more accurately than any accessory you wear. In some 'poorer' cultures, accessorial markers are more important.
It wasn't the brand in itself I bought the jacket for. It was the styling (neat lines) and the very high quality the brand is known for. Even if it was just the brand I bought it for what difference is it to ANYONE if it was even the only thing that I own, regardless if I can afford anything else?

It seems to me there are actually people who exist in this world who demand that a person's wealth or not be congruent to everything else in a person's life.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
There are people on here with limited edition Supercars.

If you are wearing a $200 jacket on a bike and someone you know is giving you weird looks you need to change social circles/location asap.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
It wasn't the brand in itself I bought the jacket for. It was the styling (neat lines) and the very high quality the brand is known for. Even if it was just the brand I bought it for what difference is it to ANYONE if it was even the only thing that I own, regardless if I can afford anything else?

It seems to me there are actually people who exist in this world who demand that a person's wealth or not be congruent to everything else in a person's life.

Honestly he is probably just curious/surprised why you were wearing it cycling a bike to a supermarket. From what you wrote it sounds out of place.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
This whole thread is humorous.

My tenants drive better and newer vehicles than I do. Does it really matter????? The bottom line is that all of my vehicles and equipment are paid for -- while they are making car payments. And they pay me rent every month to live in my rental unit and occupy a little corner of my property. I get my jollies from being on the receiving end of those rental transactions.

If wearing an expensive jacket while riding your bike makes you happy, then do it.
You could have told the guy that you Are rich -- you were just virtual signaling by riding your gardener's bike... Or that your butler was back at the mansion detailing your limo... maybe try -- that you were having a regression moment taking you back to your childhood...

One off the wall comment deserves another…

D

Deleted85763

This whole thread is humorous.

My tenants drive better and newer vehicles than I do. Does it really matter????? The bottom line is that all of my vehicles and equipment are paid for -- while they are making car payments. And they pay me rent every month to live in my rental unit and occupy a little corner of my property. I get my jollies from being on the receiving end of those rental transactions.

If wearing an expensive jacket while riding your bike makes you happy, then do it.
You could have told the guy that you Are rich -- you were just virtual signaling by riding your gardener's bike... Or that your butler was back at the mansion detailing your limo... maybe try -- that you were having a regression moment taking you back to your childhood...

One off the wall comment deserves another…
Thank you! You have changed my mindset. Really. Next time I might tell them the truth: "Well, where I have another residence overseas most people ride bicycles as a major mode of transportation. It's very sophisticated."

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Thank you! You have changed my mindset. Really. Next time I might tell them the truth: "Well, where I have another residence overseas most people ride bicycles as a major mode of transportation. It's very sophisticated."
Talk to them in your native language. Tell them riding a bike is "sophisticated". That will blow their minds!

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
so let me get this straight

you rode a bike to the store

someone noticed you and didn't actually say a single word to you

you *knew* they were obviously gesturing in such a way that meant "haha you are not rich you are fake"

and this gesture hurt your feelings

and now you felt the need to tell other people about that, and it has become something that you've remembered for years and has affected the way that you see the world?

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
I told you guys that this dude is on a spectrum a few months ago.

Whether it's the schizophrenic or autistic spectrum I'm not sure but just take a look at his divergent way of thinking and the "Is my song worth 2 million?" delusions.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Today while I was walking my dog a guy across the street pointed at me, then waved his hand sideways and then did a sweeping circular hand motion followed by the middle finger.

I Googled this hand gesture when I got home and he said to me, ”I’m jealous that you’re so rich. Your dog is fat and your shirt is ugly”.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Today while I was walking my dog a guy across the street pointed at me, then waved his hand sideways and then did a sweeping circular hand motion followed by the middle finger.

I Googled this hand gesture when I got home and he said to me, ”I’m jealous that you’re so rich. Your dog is fat and your shirt is ugly”.
I just have to ask -- did your dog get upset by being fat-shamed? Or did he go home with you and beg for another treat?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.