The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Patiently throwing off the shackles.

Jack Hammer

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Sep 19, 2018
Hi, Jack Hammer here (not my real name, but damn, I wish it was). I thought I'd introduce myself and share my abridged story.

TL;DR My story's pretty much the same as everyone else here.

In college, I studied electrical engineering. About 3 semesters out from graduation, I told my dad I didn't think EE was for me and he convinced me to stick with it. I had to admit I liked studying the material, but I felt this sense of soul-crushing burden at the thought of working at a company as an engineer. Still, I went along with what he said.

I graduated with a good GPA and, for lack of other options, accepted a good-paying job with a big company. I mostly enjoyed life except the 40+ hours in the office. It was tolerable at first, but after a few years, I was pretty much Peter Gibbons from Office Space.

When I couldn't take any more, I quit and lived on savings with no idea what to do next. I felt pathetic and aimless. One day, I spent a few hours in a book store and found The 4-Hour Workweek. After reading about 1/3 of it, I put it down deciding I wasn't a sucker and I should get a real job. I did just that and spent the next few years alternating between having a job and being unemployed. I kept building up savings just to see it deplete. I had excuses for each job loss, but only one was completely out of my control. Somewhere in there, I got a masters degree to make myself more valuable to the market.

Six years after that day in the book store, as I found myself unemployed, yet again, savings dissipating, yet again, I decided I was a sucker for thinking that salaried jobs were for me. Perhaps they work fine for most, but not me. I downloaded the 4-Hour Workweek and this time, I read the whole thing and embraced the message (well, most of it. I still haven't hired anyone from Bangladesh). I had already started an entrepreneurial side project several months prior, so I hammered away at it hard. Ultimately, I realized my project was too ambitious and probably didn't have a large enough market, so I abandoned it. Shortly thereafter, I got the job I have now. It's great as far as jobs go- I can tolerate it without going full Peter Gibbons- but it's still a job, so I want out.

I started my second project right when I started the new job. It was a ridiculously stupid idea, had no viable market, and I quickly realized I didn't actually want it to succeed. Still, I finished it anyway because I wanted to create a narrative in my head that I could complete my projects. I put it out there and it failed, but hey, that's what I wanted.

My third project was much less stupid and had more of a viable market, so I was a lot more hopeful about it. I put it out there and the feedback I got back was mixed. I had to accept that it just wasn't what the market wanted.

I'm now working on my 4th project- a software product. During my third project, I needed some software to do a specific task. There were a bunch of products already out there and I must have tried over dozen, but they were all terrible. I ended up using the least bad of the bunch and it got the job done, but it was a pain in the a$$. I kept bitching about it and ranting about how much better I could make it. Looking on Google Analytics, I found that at least some people are looking for this type of software, so there's some market for it other than myself. I evaluated it against a few other ideas I had and decided to pursue it. I'm now probably about 75% finished and feeling pretty good about it.

A year or two ago, my mom, noticing I was working on all these side projects, sent me an article from a local newsletter highlighting a 20-something entrepreneur from her neighborhood who had built up a million dollar business. He cited The 4-Hour Workweek and The Millionaire Fastlane as inspirations. I had never heard of The Millionaire Fastlane , but kept it in mind to read at some point in the future.

While cleaning up old stacks of paper recently, I came across that article, realized I still hadn't checked out that book, and downloaded it on Audible right away. I approached it with caution just in case it was another get-rich-quick (aka get-rich-easy) scheme. It was not. This was the real deal. It affirmed that I was basically already heading down this road (except for my 9-5 job), but it provided a lot of great ideas to evaluate what I'm doing and keep me on the straight and narrow. It also hardened my resolve to help get me through the mushy middle.

I decided to join the forum to learn from others traveling the same path and, once I've actually developed a track record of success, pay it back to others.

Oh yeah, @MJ DeMarco, you said to tag you, so there you go.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...