The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Passion, Fun, Success and do whatever it takes?

Anything related to matters of the mind

RisingStars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 9, 2014
Germany
Hello,

Since I am interested in business I always face stuff I dont like to do. Obviously thats normal.
Sometimes you have to do stuff you dont like but:
What to do if the whole business model involves a thing I hate.

"Do what you love" is of cause not the way because reading never made someone rich.

Recently I've read the book: "Delivering Happiness" from Tony Hsieh. (For those who dont know Tony is the founder of LinkExchange and the CEO of Zappos both billion dollar startups.

So this guy teached himself programming without even the thought of making money at it.
He describes himself getting up early because he cant wait to get to work which basically was advising the tech team in the startup.

MJ says stuff like that:

Forum member: "Does setting up the wordpress theme require any coding knowledge?"

MJ: "And what if it did? Give up? Look for something easier? Look for something that fits exactly into your skill set as it exists now?"

So I dont know how this all matches together. I mean I could not imagine me get up every day doing hours of coding. One part is maybe laziness but also I am simply not good at it. I've never liked math and I was pretty bad in coding class (we had like a half year with the basics)

There were people who love coding and do it in their free time. Obviously they were good at it. How could I compete against those when we both create a product. One with passion, fun and knowledge doing what he likes every day or the guy (me) who does it just..I dont know I am not even money chasing I just want something to get up existed to every day.

Other example: I could start importing. I have a product. I have money. I have a ebay seller account with top ratings. Everything. Still I dont know if I should do this. Should I invest my time into something that is "average"? There are sooo many ebay sellers. So many money chasers. I am still young (18) and some extra money wouldnt hurt of cause but there is a difference between building limos.com, facebook, Zappos or the 1000th ebay store with some crappy chinese products.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

risingtomillions

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
May 31, 2015
Although you may start off small, keep looking for new ideas. Keep searching. its surprising where inspiration can come from

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
Dude, you need to change the way you look at things.

Have you ever noticed that you can hear 2 different things, opposites, and they can both be right?

Like the 4-hour workweek VS the relentless push you see in these forums.

Our brains don't like uncertainty, and feel better about picking a side. And, once you do, your brain will use the confirmation bias to re-enforce all of these ideas.

There is no right way, there is no good, no bad, no secret. Only results.

Results come from action.

Worry about you, your goal, and the line you can draw between those 2 things.

With that in mind, you answered your own question: just find one of those coders that does it for fun. He probably hates all the business stuff you like.

JoeB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 17, 2014
UK
MJ says stuff like that:

Forum member: "Does setting up the wordpress theme require any coding knowledge?"

MJ: "And what if it did? Give up? Look for something easier? Look for something that fits exactly into your skill set as it exists now?"

So I dont know how this all matches together. I mean I could not imagine me get up every day doing hours of coding. One part is maybe laziness but also I am simply not good at it. I've never liked math and I was pretty bad in coding class (we had like a half year with the basics)

I think what @MJ DeMarco means is that the question is stupid, the guy is looking for a way out, or reason why it can't be done, rather than working out what needs to be done and then finding a way to achieve it e.g. sell some stuff on ebay and pay a freelancer to do it.

So many money chasers. I am still young (18) and some extra money wouldnt hurt of cause but there is a difference between building limos.com, facebook, Zappos or the 1000th ebay store with some crappy chinese products.

A lot of people (most) can't build a multi-million dollar business on their first go, they simply don't have the skills. You have to start somewhere, anywhere and build from there.

If you start an ebay store that makes you $1000 extra a month, you then have $1000 extra a month to test ideas, pay coders and move to something more fastlane, all the while learning first hand about copywriting, customer service and business in general. It's all a process.

risingtomillions

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
May 31, 2015
I think what @MJ DeMarco means is that the question is stupid, the guy is looking for a way out, or reason why it can't be done, rather than working out what needs to be done and then finding a way to achieve it e.g. sell some stuff on ebay and pay a freelancer to do it.

A lot of people (most) can't build a multi-million dollar business on their first go, they simply don't have the skills. You have to start somewhere, anywhere and build from there.

If you start an ebay store that makes you $1000 extra a month, you then have $1000 extra a month to test ideas, pay coders and move to something more fastlane, all the while learning first hand about copywriting, customer service and business in general. It's all a process.
I agree with that. Most of us did not have the luxury of being 18 with money to play with.

I agree with this comment one hundred percent. Most of us, at least myself did not have money to start my first business. I was making $400 a month at the time but I persisted. Sold it and started another one. Using this strategy I slowly peaked my head above the rank and file until I could beat my chest and say that I made it where I am by my own grit. I still have a lot ahead of me but God willing I will accomplish my dreams

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
Shift your passion towards competing and improving. Do excellent work and nothing will be average. Order some products for yourself on Ebay and Amazon and take notes. What does their listing look like? Feedback? Delivery time? Shipping charges? Updates during the delivery process? Packaging? Product quality? Where is room for improval?

Ever noticed how competitive people get when playing Monopoly? Because there's nothing of real value lost when you lose a game. Most people are afraid of competition in real life. They want to win, but they don't want to compete. I had someone email me the other week begging me to stop running ads in the same spot as he does and offering me 50% of his earnings, because he barely made any profit any longer. LOL. Imagine you're watching Formel 1 and there's Vettel standing at the side of the track, trying to hitchhike a ride screaming "Can someone please take me to the finish line?" I'd laugh my a$$ off, increased my bids and haven't seen or heard from him since.

G

GuestUser113

Trust the process. How are you going to execute it?

Don't think about winning the SEC Championship. Don't think about the National Championship. Think about what you needed to do in this drill, on this play, in this moment. That's the process: Let's think about what we can do today, the task at hand. Nick Saban

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
Coding can actually be a ton of fun.

Most programming is quite dull though. Picking a few key tech pieces has really given me enjoyment while programming, when I too, couldn't image wanting to do it everyday.

For example, working with Ruby on Rails & MeteorJS specifically has really opened my eyes to making coding fun.

Last edited:

RisingStars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 9, 2014
Germany
Thank you all for your contributions.
They were extremely helpful for me.

I will start the ebay thing and will provide the best service to my customers.

Also I will look into Ruby on Rails, maybe coding isnt that bad after all :D

G

GuestUser140

There are a million ways to make a million dollars.

If you don't feel coding, don't code. This journey is not a drag, it's a unique chance to impact the lives of thousands. "Ugh I gotta code some more" is not the way, and I know you know this.

Assuming you want a million dollars: do take action on something. Just deliver value to millions, in whichever way possible. It's not necessarily what you do, it's how many lives you can touch.

Business, and making money, is fun. Don't let anybody tell your otherwise.

It's usually peer pressure / societal expectations / working with bad partners / not yet being super successful that makes the day-to-day stuff a grind. Once you're picking up speed, none of that matters.

Have fun, keep reading, keep taking action.

Cheers!

RisingStars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 9, 2014
Germany
Thanks Michael, I always appreciate your advice.
I will start on something now to keep myself busy and see how many lifes I can touch.

Maybe I will stick to it or find something that gives people more value in the process.

Ajtothec

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
May 30, 2015
My 2 cents:
It's about getting to a point where you can choose what kind of work you want to do and what to outsource. Meaning that you can have a business model you hate but it's just too lucrative and you can outsource everything you don't want to do. If there's too much you hate, look for a business partner with a different skill set. Since I'm doing this I'm pretty ok. Before I realized that, I was stuck with business models I did not like and bad execution because of that. To me, it is definitely the wrong long term approach to stick with something you don't enjoy doing. For example, I have no idea about coding but am operating several hundred sites. That's only possible because I outsource what I can't do. Learning how to design Wordpress themes which can take several hundred hours of work, when there are great designers working for $9/h just does not make much sense to me.
Recognizing your weaknesses and what you not enjoy doing is just as important as knowing your strenght and finding what you enjoy doing.

Kevin Peter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jun 2, 2015
Outsource the thing to people like us. We are here to help you. Forum members are always ready for the challenge.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.