The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

partners...

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
For years... I've had this business philosophy that I will never have a business partner. A lot of businesses fail because of business partners. One of the partners is usually incompetent or lazy to do his/her job.

And yet, I still tried to get my brother as my business partner. I thought family was an exception. But before I explain what happened, let me just rant about my history with business partnerships:

My first business partner is my best friend from college. We were supposed to do a language learning website, but then he bailed on me after I did all the research. Eventually I implemented the idea, but it didn't gain any steam so I shut down the website.

Then, my close friend from an organization I joined became my business partner. We were supposed to make iPhone Apps, but he eventually bailed as well.

Then, my childhood best friend became my partner. We were supposed to make a trade show company. I was prepared to go all in. But he told me that I have nothing to offer on the table. I felt his greed, and his mistrust so I decided not to partner with him. Besides, he's really lazy. 2 years have passed, and he still haven't implemented his idea.

Fast forward to the present, I taught my brother everything I knew about business and marketing. We even started a business that sold 2,000 pcs of our product. But eventually, he became insubordinate. He didn't want to do any work, he became lazy, and he went back to his old habits. He now spends all his time playing video games. He bailed on me and decided to go back to the slow lane and work for someone else. He didn't even thank me.

Arghh... so much of my time has been wasted.

No more business partners. Family members are no exception.

I don't think that its all "partners" I just think you did a crappy job of picking them

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Michael W.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Mar 2, 2009
Ok City, OK
I don't think that its all "partners" I just think you did a crappy job of picking them

This x 1000. You must Both bring something to the table, if your both coders that's useless, one coder one pitchman etc.

Will rep you up Carrie when I'm at my shop that I've run with my partner who has been my best friend for 18 years.

royalflush

warp 9
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Jun 20, 2014

People are unpredictable.

Even if they look like they're the perfect partner, they aren't.

I prefer JV partners rather than business partners. At least you only have to work with JV partners on a per project basis.

Ashten

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
May 30, 2014
San Diego, CA

I prefer JV partners rather than business partners. At least you only have to work with JV partners on a per project basis.
well maybe you should do a screening process. They must have the same excitement & drive that you have. If you see them in the slow-lane, it's time to flip on your blinker and rev up that engine.

royalflush

warp 9
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Jun 20, 2014
well maybe you should do a screening process. They must have the same excitement & drive that you have. If you see them in the slow-lane, it's time to flip on your blinker and rev up that engine.

The problem is that they don't show their true selves when you're not in business. Once the work laid out, that's when they become lazy. Once the money is laid out, that's when they become greedy.

Last edited:

Ashten

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
May 30, 2014
San Diego, CA
I did screen them. They were excited about the business plan. My best friend for 12 years is an entrepreneur.

The problem is that they don't show their true selves when you're not in business. Once the work laid out, that's when they become lazy. Once the money is laid out, that's when they become greedy.
Well that is true. I would gain some relationships on the forum, at least you know most everyone has drive & knows true fundamentals of entrepreneurship, "Everyone happy from the top of the top, to the bottom of the bottom."

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007

Looks can be deceiving... you need to KNOW not perceive what they can do. that's your problem right there. also you should look for someone STRONGER than you are. not someone who is a novice too... that is unless you have that rare connection with someone where it all just works out and you do everything together. that typically doesn't happen...

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I agree. If they're not higher in mindset and action than you, most likely they are the wrong partners. Look at their past history with success. Do they follow through with actions.

Bimmer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Apr 5, 2014
I would personally never partner up with a family member or a very good friend that I know for a while, like you did.
When money is in the game and hard decisions need ot be made people change

firmwear

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Dec 26, 2013
I did screen them. They were excited about the business plan. My best friend for 12 years is an entrepreneur. My brother worked hard during the first 8 months but he got lazy afterwards.

The conventional wisdom is is, "Never do business with friends or family."

And in your original post, name one of your partners that was not friend nor family.

Also, you say that, "they don't show their true selves when you're not in business." and in your original post you say, "he became lazy, and he went back to his old habits..."

Yeah, you are either:
1) a terrible liar,
2) incapable of learning from your mistakes,
3) a drama-queen.

Get off your cross, dude.

royalflush

warp 9
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Jun 20, 2014
Nevermind. This is not worth stressing about

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Firmwear, your kind of post is one of the reasons why this forum can be annoying. The incoming rant is not aimed entirely at you, but at a trend of insulting people and not letting them vent/express themselves under the pretense of 'personal responsibility.' If you don't like 'whining' then get the F*ck outta here and go look at more hyperbolic motivational pictures!

People get frustrated, get a little lost, sometimes get F*cked by others, which perhaps was preventable, in hindsight.

And then everyone starts attack the OP. 'Stop whining, stop having bad experiences, stop making mistakes, rah rah.' (Both literal and implied meanings)

Nobody is as flawless in real-life as they show on here. And this forum is becoming more and more filled with assholes, who take a concept and push it to its limit. You see this with 'personal responsibility/positivity' being turned into:

'Do not have, experience or express negative thoughts.'

Or 'Passion without demand for your product won't make you rich' automatically means:

'If you do anything for personal enjoyment/gain (which ALL of us are here for BTW) you will fail.'

Its silly. I haven't verbalized it as well as I'd hoped to, but it doesn't matter, since everyone will stick with their own persuasions anyway.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
Firmwear, your kind of post is one of the reasons why this forum can be annoying. The incoming rant is not aimed entirely at you, but at a trend of insulting people and not letting them vent/express themselves under the pretense of 'personal responsibility.' If you don't like 'whining' then get the F*ck outta here and go look at more hyperbolic motivational pictures!

People get frustrated, get a little lost, sometimes get F*cked by others, which perhaps was preventable, in hindsight.

And then everyone starts attack the OP. 'Stop whining, stop having bad experiences, stop making mistakes, rah rah.' (Both literal and implied meanings)

Nobody is as flawless in real-life as they show on here. And this forum is becoming more and more filled with assholes, who take a concept and push it to its limit. You see this with 'personal responsibility/positivity' being turned into:

Or 'Passion without demand for your product won't make you rich' automatically means:

'If you do anything for personal enjoyment/gain (which ALL of us are here for BTW) you will fail.'

Its silly. I haven't verbalized it as well as I'd hoped to, but it doesn't matter, since everyone will stick with their own persuasions anyway.

I agree with your post. I have seen it and experienced it here. there is a way to point out the issues and what could have been done better without being "that way" then there are the people who solely flame people without even the disguise of it being advice. blatently saying and what value does this provide to an opinion for example... the value it provides is to anyone who cares to know what my opinion is :p

royalflush

warp 9
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Jun 20, 2014

Amen to that buddy

firmwear

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Dec 26, 2013
Amen to that buddy

I am sorry. I took my criticism too far and made it very personal.

I hope you keep posting here and do not let me deter from you further sharing your experiences.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
I am sorry. I took my criticism too far and made it very personal.

I hope you keep posting here and do not let me deter from you further sharing your experiences.
rep +

it takes a hell of a person to say something like this :)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
OP. It appears that you deleted your original post. Fortunately, it was captured here by someone else, so someone (like me) coming along later can understand what the hell happened.

Please do not delete forum content. It makes it impossible to decipher, is against the forum rules, and wastes the time of people that come along later.

If you don't like the direction that a thread takes, drop it and it will fade off the first page into history.

That being said, I agree 100% with your original point and your conclusion.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada

I'm of the other school of thought that says people tend to very predictable. IMHO most people keep doing whatever it is they do. Path of least resistance and all that.

The trick is to judge them based on their past actions, not their words or enthusiasm.

The types of people who are always early or on time, give the tasks in front of them 100% and bring fresh ideas to the table all the time are going to be the (you guessed it) type of people who continue to do that within a business environment.

A lazy friend or family member who is always late, you have to remind 9 times to bring back a borrowed movie or book, and always says "I don't know, what do you think?" is going to keep being a lazy useless twat even if the idea of a business has them jumping on the tables and shouting about how excited and motivated they are to get it going.

People should never be trusted if it requires a change to how they normally act.

royalflush

warp 9
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Jun 20, 2014
OP. It appears that you deleted your original post. Fortunately, it was captured here by someone else, so someone (like me) coming along later can understand what the hell happened.

Please do not delete forum content. It makes it impossible to decipher, is against the forum rules, and wastes the time of people that come along later.

If you don't like the direction that a thread takes, drop it and it will fade off the first page into history.

That being said, I agree 100% with your original point and your conclusion.

I thought it offended people because of the harsh comments. So I just removed it to steer clear from trolls.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I thought it offended people because of the harsh comments. So I just removed it to steer clear from trolls.
I missed it, but leaving it up and just admitting that you worded it poorly might have been better.
Sometimes we make mistakes.
Too many refuse to acknowledge that.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007

the point is not if it offended anyone, its that deleting posts compromises the integrity of the thead, others posts, and if it happens enough the forum itself.

you got a lot of good feedback. *maybe not what you wanted to hear. along with the harsh comments. without the context behind why the advice is given (or harsh comments) it is essentially useless...

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Disagreements happen. If we deleted threads based on trolls, we'd be back to zero threads. Carry on.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Yeah ok I read the original post and it doesnt offend in the slightest, dont be such a pussy!

I think the same as you, partners dont tend to work. If you can go it alone you should.

Hire out your weaknesses

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.