The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Pain point for Greek Yogurt Industry = Fastlane Opportunity

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
Do you think that the fastlane opportunity is in the disposal of the whey, or the invention of a way to use the whey?

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI
Interesting. The market for Greek Yogurt factories is probably pretty small but I'm surprised there is not a cost effective solution to dehydrate the whey before storing/transporting it at the factory. Seems kind of stupid to store mainly water like that when evaporation is pretty simple.

My friend's parents own a cheese factory and built a whey plant across the street. The whey is pumped across, dehydrated, bagged, and shipped (mainly to China).

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Do you think that the fastlane opportunity is in the disposal of the whey, or the invention of a way to use the whey?

Either would work, but it would be a much easier sell to pay these companies for their whey.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
Either would work, but it would be a much easier sell to pay these companies for their whey.

Or have them pay me for their whey, then process it into whatever, and sell that! Double positive? :icon_super:

On the downside, I can't even begin to think of the endless possibilities of what to do with they whey..there are lots of viable options, but which will take off..hmm..

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Or have them pay me for their whey, then process it into whatever, and sell that! Double positive?

That'll work for all of two seconds, before some other guy gets into competition.

I know absolutely nothing about whey. All I know is that it makes up protein powder. Let's read up on it some more.

No links for you, I wanna make some dollaz.

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
That'll work for all of two seconds, before some other guy gets into competition.

I know absolutely nothing about whey. All I know is that it makes up protein powder. Let's read up on it some more.

No links for you, I wanna make some dollaz.

A race for the moolah I see! Luckily I have my tub of protein powder right here so I can read how much whey is in it! I'm not too worried about you stealing the idea, it's posted in the open. Perhaps if we could dehydrate the whey into powder we could then sell the powder in bulk to GNC or a similar nutritional company?

PopEmersen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 2, 2011
Atlanta, GA, US

Either way, Chobani and Fage dont care what you do with the whey, just get it off their hands.

Interesting. The market for Greek Yogurt factories is probably pretty small but I'm surprised there is not a cost effective solution to dehydrate the whey before storing/transporting it at the factory. Seems kind of stupid to store mainly water like that when evaporation is pretty simple.

My friend's parents own a cheese factory and built a whey plant across the street. The whey is pumped across, dehydrated, bagged, and shipped (mainly to China).

Its small, but its growing exponentially. I've seen the Greek yogurt section in the supermarkets in my area grow at a steady pace for a while now.

I was surprised to hear myself.

I dont see why they couldn't make it into protein powder that's used in the protein canisters, candy bars, etc.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I love Greek yogurt. I don't have it much, though: it's much cheaper to get the regular ol' runny yogurt.

I don't know if they can't make it into protein powder, because acid whey (the whey that is taken from yogurt and cottage cheese) is just as usable as sweet whey (the whey that is taken from hard cheeses) for protein usage. I'd imagine sweet whey tastes much nicer, just by the name.

It could probably be used for protein bars or other supplements. But I'm not quite sure, all I did was read a couple of web pages about whey.

PopEmersen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 2, 2011
Atlanta, GA, US
I don't know if they can't make it into protein powder, because acid whey (the whey that is taken from yogurt and cottage cheese) is just as usable as sweet whey (the whey that is taken from hard cheeses) for protein usage. I'd imagine sweet whey tastes much nicer, just by the name.

Thats the same thing I was thinking.

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
What do you think wado? If we were able to turn the whey into powder do you think a company would be interested, and more importantly would they pay a lot?

PopEmersen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 2, 2011
Atlanta, GA, US
Honestly, I have no idea but here are a couple thoughts.

Protein is an essential part of humans and animals so there has got to be a use for this whey.
The biggest thing in this to me, is figuring what is the difference between this greek yogurt whey and the whey used in protein powders.
The protein powder market is always changing and try to find new and more efficient ways to use protein. At first there was only whey, then there was Casein, now they have egg, whey, and casein mixtures.
Also, the whey used in protein powders has to be sweetened using zero calorie artificial sweeteners like Aspartame and Sucralose, from the article I posted, it makes it seem like this protein already has sugar in it which could be seen as either a drawback or a plus depending on how you look at it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.