The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Overcoming analysis paralysis/ achieving clarity

Anything related to matters of the mind

Vas87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jul 4, 2012
Australia
Looking for advice on how to achieve clarity on what next step to take. I am a locum optometrist thats been doing it for 10 years now, so have saved up some money. I have about 200k that I can spend on setting up a business/ buying a business. My issue is after 10 years of the same career, I feel like my skillset is very narrow. I have read plenty of business/ marketing books but am at the crossroads of taking action. I could set up my own optometry practice but I am no longer interested in optometry per say, as most of the money is made in glasses and they are a fashion item, which doesn't interest me at all. I am more about the eye healthcare side of things.
Has anyone else with a narrow skillset transitioned into another industry/ business opportunity? Would love to hear your story/ advice.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TheKingOfMadrid

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Dec 14, 2020
I know a guy who says he can cure myopia and all he's done is build a course up from the basis of Dr. Bates work.

Does it work? presumably not given that my understanding is myopia is a change in the lens structure, yet somehow he makes a killing and his reviews appear to be genuine and positive!

Anyway, possible scammer aside - if he can make a mint selling courses on that, imagine what someone with real knowledge could do.

Anyway, to be honest with you the trick you learn pretty quickly as an entrepreneur is you can learn most of the stuff a university level student would learn about their subject in 6-12 months of study. That's just the way the old order is structured - so don't let limited skill sets get you down too much.

As for what to choose, there's actually a growing field of 'science backed decision making' now which you can find books and ted talks on which show you an algorithmic way to make optimal choices and cut though the paralysis of decision making.

I imagine if you combined that with a CENTS plan you could achieve most of the things you want a few years from now.

runnaboi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Nov 25, 2020
Australia
Looking for advice on how to achieve clarity on what next step to take. I am a locum optometrist thats been doing it for 10 years now, so have saved up some money. I have about 200k that I can spend on setting up a business/ buying a business. My issue is after 10 years of the same career, I feel like my skillset is very narrow. I have read plenty of business/ marketing books but am at the crossroads of taking action. I could set up my own optometry practice but I am no longer interested in optometry per say, as most of the money is made in glasses and they are a fashion item, which doesn't interest me at all. I am more about the eye healthcare side of things.
Has anyone else with a narrow skillset transitioned into another industry/ business opportunity? Would love to hear your story/ advice.
I think having 10 years of experience in a field is a valuable source of ideas for new ventures. Start by listing the biggest problems you have as an optometrist, and solve the hardest one you can. That's a start!

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
I actually had to google locum optometrist to find out what this profession is.

I wouldnt consider your skillset narrow at all. AT ALL!
Consider the fact that 99.999... % of people have 2 eyes.
So every person on earth is a potential customer for your skillset.
Still think its narrow?

Given that you`ve worked 10 years in the field, surely you must have some INSIDERS knowledge.
Be it knowledge of problems to solve, what works, what not, where the most profit is to be made (you said glasses?) and more.
Use your domain experience and try to figure out what is lacking in the field, what can you make that doesnt exist yet. Maybe a tool for diagnosing certain deseases faster? Maybe you have tools of your own making already.

Also drop the "doesnt interest me at all" thinking.
This tells me that you havent internalized your goals.
If your goal is freedom lets say, the entrepreneurial path, then interest in work as such will no longer exist.
The interest will be towards the problem, the service, the product, the people, the marketing.
The reward will override any non-interest you may have in the work.
The work itself is of no consiquence when it comes to interest.
Infact, the more boredom, repetitiveness and periods of non-interest you can endure, the faster your will progress and the easier your journey will be.

PS. What about solving problems for pets?
Pets have eyes too.
Anything which works in the industry you are in that can be applied for pets?
Mass produced and marketed?

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Looking for advice on how to achieve clarity on what next step to take. I am a locum optometrist thats been doing it for 10 years now, so have saved up some money.

I will ignore the irony of an optometrist looking for clarity. ;)

I would say buy or start a business that you can run on the side. Certainly NOT spending 200k though. 5-10k seems a sensible amount to invest in broadening your entrepreneurial skills and getting a footing on the ladder.

You will be surprised at the number and range of skills you have that will convert over into running your own business. Just the ability to save 200k rather than have wasted it away on fast cars and loose women etc. shows you have very good habits regarding finances. That is a seriously positive skill to possess for a business owner for starters.

Narrow down the areas you are interested in. I always say start/buy a business that will take you towards your life goals rather than away from them (location dependant, having to take on staff and premises, long and/or unsocial hours etc. etc. etc..)

Vas87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jul 4, 2012
Australia
As for what to choose, there's actually a growing field of 'science backed decision making' now which you can find books and ted talks on which show you an algorithmic way to make optimal choices and cut though the paralysis of decision making.

I imagine if you combined that with a CENTS plan you could achieve most of the things you want a few years from now.
Thanks, I've actually just got Annie Duke's book "How To Decide" to help out.
I think having 10 years of experience in a field is a valuable source of ideas for new ventures. Start by listing the biggest problems you have as an optometrist, and solve the hardest one you can. That's a start!
Great idea, I actually made an app for optometrists but it never took off (well we had 25% of optometrists in Australia using the app, but couldn't monetise it).

I actually had to google locum optometrist to find out what this profession is.

I wouldnt consider your skillset narrow at all. AT ALL!
Consider the fact that 99.999... % of people have 2 eyes.
So every person on earth is a potential customer for your skillset.
Still think its narrow?

Also drop the "doesnt interest me at all" thinking.

PS. What about solving problems for pets?
Pets have eyes too.
Anything which works in the industry you are in that can be applied for pets?
Mass produced and marketed?
Never even thought of it that way, but yes most people need vision help eventually! Animals is an interesting one, some places sell goggles for dogs that ride as passengers on motorbikes!

I would say buy or start a business that you can run on the side. Certainly NOT spending 200k though. 5-10k seems a sensible amount to invest in broadening your entrepreneurial skills and getting a footing on the ladder.

Narrow down the areas you are interested in. I always say start/buy a business that will take you towards your life goals rather than away from them (location dependant, having to take on staff and premises, long and/or unsocial hours etc. etc. etc..)

Thanks for this, you make a good point on not putting all my eggs in one basket all at once. I certainly would like to slowly build up my skillset rather than do a huge bet and lose it all.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois

Overcoming analysis paralysis is actually simple, just do something. Theres pros and cons to every decision, And theres almost never a perfect time to start. You have to make a choice, otherwise years of your life will melt away and you'll be in the same spot you started.

You have over 200k saved up, you could start a low overhead business, like a consulting business, and not even dip into that.

My advice is start moving in a direction. Try new things and see if you like them. The only way you'll ever get out of the analysis paralysis is if you start moving, even if it's in the "wrong" direction. Yes it's uncomfortable and difficult and awkward, and it kinda sucks being a beginner at things because your head is spinning, but thats where breakthroughs happen. That's when you look back fondly at those times you took a chance, and realize your life changed for the better.

The motivation will come from finding something you like and improving at it. Along the way you'll find problems that you can solve. You can try all of the "motivation hacks" to try and force your self to get motivated, but the only real solution is to be interested in what you're doing. That's where passion comes from.

Also, i feel like you may be identifying with your past too much. It doesn't matter if you've been an optometrist for the past 10 years, you can wake up tomorrow and decide to be a chef if you wanted to. Try to think about the future and what you want to do, and not tie your self to the past, because as humans we change and adapt, we aren't stuck in our pasts.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
You will have plenty of time to do what interests you when you're making 100k a month from an awesome business that is in a boring industry.

I run a lawn care company and hate getting dirty. I hate mowing lawns. That's why I have employees do it. I love golf and skiing and whiskey and sleeping in until 11 and that's what I get to enjoy because I own a business.

Do what you love. Pay people to do what you hate.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.