The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Outsourcing Blog Writing

Anything related to sourcing or importing products.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
Since this has been discussed a bit around here, I thought I would share my experience, and what I have learned.

1. Finding a writer is as easy as putting and ad on craigslist. I got about 40 people to choose from, was able to narrow it down asking for writing samples and made my decision from there. These were 40 people willing to write a weekly article of approx 750 words for $20 a week. Post you ad in a major market, especially one where publishing is contracting. Do not waste your time trying to find someone local unless you live in one of these markets. If you want to catch a fish, go to where there are more fish.

2. Automate- give them access to the blog to post the articles directly. Be very clear about what you are looking for and when you wanted it. For me, I stated the number of words range, the general content direction, and stated that I wanted it posted no early than each Sunday at 10 pm, and no later than Monday at 10 am. Obviously, they can write ahead and schedule the posts, I do not care what they do on that front.

3. Specify SEO aspects of the articles. This I failed to do up front, and need to clean it up now, but minimal stuff like tags and categoriess keep you from having to go in and clean it up later.

4. Give feedback. This is someone who is looking to build a business, just like you are. Help them. Don't just sit back a grumble when they are not doing something exactly like you want, give them feedback. If after that, they do not change, replace them ASAP.

5. With a rapid replacement policy for lack of adherence, pick a generic name that they will post under. This will help continuity if you have to axe them.

6. You are earning each others trust, so do a trial period. For me, I paid my writer each week to start, and after that I went to monthly payments because that is easier for me.

7. It works- no ads, little SEO, and our visitors are growing organically. If you have an idea, and do not want to write, do not hesitate to outsource. For 1k a year bet, you can build a pretty nice following.

I think that is all I have for now, I hope this helps some of you crossover the blogging threshhold to starting you web business.:fastlane:

My next step is to monetize, design ignorance is my biggest barrier here, but easily overcome once I apply myself.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Those are great points.

Have you tried offering bonuses for posts that bring in large amounts of traffic from Twitter, Stumbleupon or Digg?

If you provide a bit of coaching and incentive, you may be able to get a "home run" post once and a while that brings in massive traffic and/or links.

santiago

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Aug 20, 2007
Post you ad in a major market, especially one where publishing is contracting. Do not waste your time trying to find someone local unless you live in one of these markets. If you want to catch a fish, go to where there are more fish.

Great post! What do you mean by "a market where publishing is contracting"? I assume this means where major newspapers, etc are (NY, LA, DC, Chicago in the US)..but wanted to clarify.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.