The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Opportunity

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
So I have this opportunity and not sure if I should use it...

I currently am in Ireland working 9-5 work and work on blog on the side. I have opportunity to go back home to my country and work with my father on his business and possibly expand it (probably open second retail shop). He has been working on it for 15 years probably, his small shop is doing good in a niche business (wallpapers and paint for home interrior). While it's a small business it is probably the best one in the city, if not in the country... He has built a classical business I think. Most clients come through other people. Bad thing is that he works 10 hours daily.. He likes it and says it's not a job, it's a lifestyle for him.. I say ''you had no vacation for 10 years.... ''. Business shrank in a recession but he is still doing good. If I come in new possibilities open up.

For me it would be beneficial cuz I'd learn how to run a small business (eventually), see things from inside and get actual business experience (selling, some accounting, supplies etc). It is attractive...

But every opportunity has it's costs.. and these would be me having to put my own ideas on the shelves.. most likely for a few years.. or I'd probably be working to 7PM at the shop get home and then work on my own projects to about 2-3AM..

What do you guys think? I know it's not really fastlane. But it's good experience nonetheless. I'm still young too.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Nearly any business has the opportunity to become fastlane. Maybe in its current form it isn't, but that doesn't mean you cannot apply FL principles.

The business experience can be invaluable and you never know what opportunities may present themselves once you are in this enviornment. Change can be scary, but it can also be invigorating. Tackling a new challenge can be frightening and rewarding.

You need to follow your gut instincts here.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Nearly any business has the opportunity to become fastlane. Maybe in its current form it isn't, but that doesn't mean you cannot apply FL principles.

The business experience can be invaluable and you never know what opportunities may present themselves once you are in this enviornment. Change can be scary, but it can also be invigorating. Tackling a new challenge can be frightening and rewarding.

You need to follow your gut instincts here.

I think Fastlane opportunity here could be franchising.. we find some people in other cities and franchise to them. And that could probably be like 4 shops in big cities of the country. Maybe we could open a few in couple of cities (but the niche is small and big general retail chains take a lot of clients already). In total there could be like 5-8 shops in the country (3 millions people total in Lithuania).

I wouldn't be really afraid to go and do this. It's interesting, I like the challenge. Would be a big test for business skills :cool:

Good thing is that I could probably have a more flexible schedule working with father than with some other boss. Although I know it will take loads of work too.. 10+ hour days would be in sight for sure.

And my gut feeling leads me to try new opportunities always and I end up spreading thin sometimes..

faq88

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Oct 14, 2009
Hey GymJunkie,

If you haven't read it, check out the book the E-myth revisited. It talks a lot about how a great niche business can be made into a franchise. Gives you a lot of the steps required. Maybe God's smiling on you right now with a challenge.

Mike

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Hey GymJunkie,

If you haven't read it, check out the book the E-myth revisited. It talks a lot about how a great niche business can be made into a franchise. Gives you a lot of the steps required. Maybe God's smiling on you right now with a challenge.

Mike

I do remember it... I didn't like it cuz it made the business sound so unhuman and robotic... but thanks, I should read it again. It was a good book. And I saw the author had another new book about small business....

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.