The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ongoing List of Life Hacks: Save Time and Money

Anything related to matters of the mind
D

DeletedUser0287

I have had this idea for awhile, but wanted to accumulate a list of actions or purchases that save significant time and money in the long run.

This is for people that are bootstrapping their business in a high a capital requirement business that just don't make enough money or want to keep it a one man show as long as possible by investing in software/AI/machinery/automation before human resources. Although I believe it is better to increase income rather than to just reduce expenses because you can only reduce so much. This list still should be helpful.

1. Double Edge Safety Razor
Get one, razor that will last a lifetime is like $30-40. Blades are much cheaper than Gillette Packages.
You get like 50 blades for like $8. Cons are they take some time to learn, shave might not be as close.

2. Elgato Stream Deck
I am assuming most people are running a business that has some connection to the internet or uses a computer. Pretty much hot keys on steroids. Saves significant time. Price is around $120.

3. Go Keto/Full Fasting/Intermittent Fasting
Ever since going Keto, I rarely get hungry. I only eat 1 meal a day now. Apparently the 3 meals/day thing was a social construct created that didn't have any scientific basis. There are benefits to fasting like Autophagy. Eat less, spend less. Some may argue that Keto ingredient are more expensive and yes they are. But you eat significantly less. I have also researched that those that eat less tend to live longer anyways. It keeps things simple since Keto is so restrictive. Save time because you only need to cook once a day.

4. No Poo Movement
Also known as the no shampoo or soap movement. Washing with only water. Been doing this for ages (7 years). Obviously saves significant money because you don't need soap anymore. I know what you are all thinking, but...but.. you must smell right? All caused by marketing of soap companies. 99% of soap removes all oil from your hair/body which is bad because it dries your skin out and causes your body to overproduce oil to compensate. Then the companies upsell you on conditioner. YOU NEED OIL on your skin.

Water only washing removes enough oil and dirt, but still maintains enough oil to keep your hair healthy. Not gonna lie, I even think BALDING has been caused by shampoo and soap everyday. It causes your body to overwork and produce too much oil to compensate because you dried yourself out. Do that everyday for your life and your body will exhaust itself. Depleting your hair of nutrients it needs and guess what it will fallout.

Requires Adaptation/Acclimation: It took me 6 months to fully adapt because my scalp/skin was in constant overproducing oil. You will probably need to take multiple water only showers until your body calms down.

Oil in your hair becomes naturally hair product. Your hair will be darker due to having oil in your hair.

I had a bunch of other things I did to optimize my life, but kinda forgot once I started writing this. Keep adding.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser0287

5. Optimize your Keyboard
Get a Numpad or Full Keyboard to speed up workflow instead of just laptop keyboard. Goes along with Elgato Stream Deck.

6. Cut your own Hair
Some learning curve, but invest a high quality Oster Clippers and just do an undercut. It looks good on most people. Easy as hell. You can fade if you want, but I only do that sometimes. This works for me because I never have to wait in line at a barber and cut anytime I want. This pays for itself quickly.

7. Credit Cards
I never spend cash. Always get that cash back CC. Although I use my credit card like cash. I only charge what I can pay in cash right away. Builds credit. This is no brainer.

D

DeletedUser0287

8. Cheap Gym Membership
You don't need much to stay healthy, any more payment than Planet Fitness $10/month + Maintenance fee is a waste if you going true frugal.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I like your thinking on the optimisation side but on the saving money angle I think it is pretty redundant or even gives the wrong message.

Do we need to look at ways to save a few £$€ a week? Shouldn't we be more concerned with looking at ways to increase our worth so by increasing our earnings?

If we have to look for ways of saving $10 a week over a long term period then isn't our focus skewed? Isn't it more akin the the FIRE movement than entrepreneur?

I like your other ideas though. One thought, if your time is too valuable to wait in line at a barbers can't you make an appointment or have a barber come to you? I used to use the latter and it worked out cheaper too, as being mobile was cheaper for them than owning a salon.

Never seen the Elgato Stream Deck. That is a cool piece of kit.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
2. Elgato Stream Deck
I am assuming most people are running a business that has some connection to the internet or uses a computer. Pretty much hot keys on steroids. Saves significant time. Price is around $120.

I understand what you are trying to say, but why would you buy this for $120. If you are trying to save money by not using soap, why do you blow $120 on something so unnecessary?

That's a whole year of your gym membership!

D

DeletedUser0287

I like your thinking on the optimisation side but on the saving money angle I think it is pretty redundant or even gives the wrong message.

Do we need to look at ways to save a few £$€ a week? Shouldn't we be more concerned with looking at ways to increase our worth so by increasing our earnings?

If we have to look for ways of saving $10 a week over a long term period then isn't our focus skewed? Isn't it more akin the the FIRE movement than entrepreneur?

I like your other ideas though. One thought, if your time is too valuable to wait in line at a barbers can't you make an appointment or have a barber come to you? I used to use the latter and it worked out cheaper too, as being mobile was cheaper for them than owning a salon.

Yeah I stated that it is better to focus increase income than to cut expenses, but some of these things are one and done. A few $ adds up just saying. After you do it, you don't have to think much about it.

I understand what you are trying to say, but why would you buy this for $120. If you are trying to save money by not using soap, why do you blow $120 on something so unnecessary?

That's a whole year of your gym membership!

The cutting of soap has the benefits I stated above, not just saving money. The money saving about soap for me is just a bonus.

I also stated that this list was to add to significant time savings as well or those that want to keep operation small (aka you need time saving purchases). The $120 is a huge time saving. If you work on the computer a lot this will speed up workflow. Reducing multi clicks to single clicks.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Meal Prep:

Get some sealed containers, cook your own meals, and store them. You save time and money, plus you can eat healthier knowing what you put in your food.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
You can buy a separate full scale keyboard for $10 and apply macros to it.

Then buy kb stickers you can run through your printer.

The Elgato recommendation makes no sense.

Dan_Cardone

Losers make excuses. Winners find solutions.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019
Meal Prep:

Get some sealed containers, cook your own meals, and store them. You save time and money, plus you can eat healthier knowing what you put in your food.
If time is more important to you than money there are now services that will deliver healthy Chef prepared meals right to your house.

I haven't used it myself but I have a friend who uses it every single month and he loves it. I'm highly considering it. I hate cooking but love to eat healthy.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

It takes both a higher income and a strict cost-cutting/savings plan to make it all work. When my stepkids were young, they thought their dad and I were the cheapest people on earth. Now, in the 20s, we're the smartest people on earth.

One of our key issues with cutting expenses is to put that money saved toward something important. It really adds up over time. And good habits don't go away. It's a lifestyle issue that sticks. We still don't buy a lot of things that other people must have in order to feel complete. Yes, we can afford all this consumer stuff, but we're way past wanting it. Stuff has to be stored, cleaned, dusted and cared for. Who needs it? In the end, less is more!

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
If time is more important to you than money there are now services that will deliver healthy Chef prepared meals right to your house.

I haven't used it myself but I have a friend who uses it every single month and he loves it. I'm highly considering it. I hate cooking but love to eat healthy.
Honestly, the reason I cook almost all my meals myself is because I don't trust anyone else to do it lol

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
You cannot save more than 100% of your income.

But you can increase your income many thousands of percentage points.

I never save money, even when I didn’t have any. It makes little difference. Think big and stop clipping coupons.

The opportunity cost of your small thinking is in the millions of dollars, much more than you saved by not drinking your $4 lattes every day.

NursingTn

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 30, 2019
How about putting the focus on ways to become more content in spite of your circumstances?

Time and money are important. But even the richest, wealthiest person can be sad and miserable. In comparison, even the most destitute, poorest person can be the happiest person on the planet if his or her mind is right.

Some life hacks to grow contentment:

Meditate to develop your concentration and ability to not get mentally lost in your own thoughts.

Eat a diet diverse in fruits, vegetables, and protein sources.

Develop gratitude attitude by counting your blessings, writing your blessings, etc daily.

Become physically more active.

Talk to a therapist monthly to develop mental skills to be more mentally resilient and happier.

See the doctor to make sure you're healthy, physically and mentally.

Avoid substances that alter your mind or develop addictions, if possible, e.g. illicit drugs, alcohol, nicotine/tobacco.

FierceRacoon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 1, 2019
I never save money, even when I didn’t have any. It makes little difference. Think big and stop clipping coupons.

Funny, I had the same experience: I was using my time in what I thought was productive and refused to compromise. When I was 40k in credit card debt, one thing worked out, and suddenly -40k became +40k. Admittedly, had it not worked out, bystanders could've argued about me being so irresponsible. It sort of depends on the country, the economy, the person's skillset. In my case the stars were partially in my favor, and I was able to keep doing what's most productive.

However, for certain circumstances — particularly if you have few safety cushions in the form of friends, high-paying skills and the like — it just won't work and you may end up bankrupt and forced to start trading your time for cash at a low rate just to keep surviving. If that is your concern, then you may need to save to buy yourself enough time. Basically, if you are selling your time at a super-low rate and are trying to at least increase this rate to buy yourself more time, saving may be very necessary (or moving to another location).

D

DeletedUser0287

You cannot save more than 100% of your income.

But you can increase your income many thousands of percentage points.

The opportunity cost of your small thinking is in the millions of dollars, much more than you saved by not drinking your $4 lattes every day.

Already stated this that expenses have a cap and main focus should be income.

I mean what do you think we are all doing here? Everyone is trying to increase income by thousands of percentage points. This is what I have to do in meantime while I still try to get a job.

How do you increase income by a high amount? Create a lot of value of course.
Creating a lot of value, is not cheap. All value creation has expenses. Generally, the more value you create/provide the higher the cost/expense to create that value.

So essentially: Have money > Use money to create a large amount of value at profit.
I am working on the initial investment portion. You really can't just go from 0% to 1000% without paying up.

D

DeletedUser0287

Funny, I had the same experience: I was using my time in what I thought was productive and refused to compromise. When I was 40k in credit card debt, one thing worked out, and suddenly -40k became +40k. Admittedly, had it not worked out, bystanders could've argued about me being so irresponsible. It sort of depends on the country, the economy, the person's skillset. In my case the stars were partially in my favor, and I was able to keep doing what's most productive.

However, for certain circumstances — particularly if you have few safety cushions in the form of friends, high-paying skills and the like — it just won't work and you may end up bankrupt and forced to start trading your time for cash at a low rate just to keep surviving. If that is your concern, then you may need to save to buy yourself enough time. Basically, if you are selling your time at a super-low rate and are trying to at least increase this rate to buy yourself more time, saving may be very necessary (or moving to another location).

LOL, what? -40k suddenly +40k. Randomly acquire 80k?

A lot of these small money decisions take seconds or a one time thought. They add up.

Or just do what you guys did and spend irresponsibility and leet money leak everywhere. If you actually pay attention to personal finances, I grantee you throwing tons of money down the garbage.

Argin Gerigorian

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
476%
Dec 23, 2017
Los Angeles
8. Cheap Gym Membership
You don't need much to stay healthy, any more payment than Planet Fitness $10/month + Maintenance fee is a waste if you going true frugal.

Love your list for the most part.

Can't budge on haircuts and I don't budge on this. . . I go to a very expesnive gym in LA and it's the best way to network with high net worth people.

André Casal

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 1, 2018
I think a reflection on decision criteria would be very valuable here.

When you're making these sort of decisions, it seems like sometimes your criterion is spending less money (at a higher cost to your time or well being) and sometimes it's spending less time. Spending less money at the expense of ignoring other (better) decision criteria is costly.

I've tried a cheap gym membership. It smelled. The people where horrible. I didn't go. I now pay premium for my gym/spa membership, and I actually enjoy my workouts and I get to fully relax and plan my day. In addition to clearer thinking and more energy, I've lost weight, volume and feel generally better with my body and mind. This makes a huge difference to my productivity and I've earned my gym membership many times over, which makes this a winning investment.

In summary, I think your decision criteria should be "will this help me make more money or improve the quality of my life" not "will this help me spend less money in exchange for time or effort".

Double edge safety razor to save money fails the criteria. Bad decision.
Double dge safety razor to save time follows the criteria. Good decision. But so is any other razor.
Elgato Stream Deck to save time follows the criteria. Good decision.
Keto diet to improve health follows the criteria. Good decision.
Keto diet to safe money fails the criteria. Bad decision.
No Poo Movement to improve health follows the criteria. Good decision.
No Poo Movement to save money fails the criteria. Bad decision.
Optimize Your Keyboard to save time follows the criteria. Good decision.
Cut Your Own Hair to save time follows the criteria. Good decision. A better would be to set an appointment or, even better, have a barber come to your home at the time you set.
Cut Your Own Hair to save money fails the criteria. Bad decision.
Credit Cards to save money (assuming no downsides) is a good decision.
Cheap Gym Membership to save money fails the criteria. Bad decision.

A few tips and tricks of mine:
Buying top of the line products never gets me thinking twice about my tools, like laptop, phone, earphones, backpack, clothes, shoes: if there's some problem, it's because no one else solved it either.

Follow the KonMari method to tidying up. You'll be organized forever. This saved me A LOT of time. I use the KonMari method not only with clothes, but with everything else. In my case, organizing my laptop files is particularly important.
Note: Methods like KonMari, You Need A Budget (YNAB) and Getting Things Done (GTD) are ways to think about meta-level areas of your life (what's important to you and why) while cleaning object-level areas of your life (tidying up your home, money and work).

Julio Andres

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Dec 9, 2014
Interesting thread, I love lifehacks or stuff that is overlooked but is a truly money/energy/time saver.
I would add:

1. Audiobooks
Impressive way to keep learning while commuting or making house chores.

2. Have a walkable distance (<15min) between house and workplace.
This sounds a little obvious, but is pretty overlooked the benefits of pay 20-30% more on your rent/monthly payment, to increase the quality of your life on 80-100% (numbers totally invented, but you get the idea)

3. I second "Intermittent Fasting".
When I started having only coffee until lunch, wow, instant time/money saver.

4. Buying non-perishable stuff on massive quantities
I have a massive amount of toilet paper/cleaning products/non-perishable stuff on a storage room, I think I buy like 4 times a year for this things.

5. Zapier.com
To automate internet related stuff: if this happens -> do this

D

DeletedUser0287

Re evaluate Mobile Phone Plan
I know it is easy to just focus on the big companies like AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, etc. There are smaller mobile plans that use these networks. Works well if you are a Wi-Fi Wizard. I currently pay $15/month for Unlimited call/text and 3GB data. I'm on wifi majority of the time so this works for me.

Ronate

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 16, 2017
Brazil
I would add in the list, not necessarily in order of importance.

The text got a bit long, sorry about that, but I promise it worths to read it all, also English is not my first language, so sorry if I wrote something pretty horrible.

1 . Automate and Delegate (Saves Time)

Your time is the most valuable thing, we know. We have technology that can automate some daily tasks( IFTTT, Google Calendar and Google Assistant Alarm is Gold for me), and if there isn't a technology that can automate a specific task you want (maybe you can create one, maybe more people want the same thing and you endup building a million dollar business) . If there's no way, you could try to put up a system, like organizing your things and having a straightforward workflow. For the last, there's some things you can delegate to someone else, you shouldn't be performing repetitive tasks if you're building/running a business. Also it avoids mental fatigue, which brings me to next topic.

2. Take care of your mind (Saves Time)

You won't function properly if your mind is not ok, have enough sleep, have a health diet, exercise regularly, build good habits, avoid people and things that holds you back, try to understand yourself better (16 personalities test) I'm a INFP by the way, and if you have some sort of psychological problem, go seek a professional, I think it's valuable even if you don't have psychological issues, also a coach can simplify things a lot for you, and if you don't have the money for a coach, the Tony Robbins Breakthrough App is very valuable. I think these are things that can help you have your mind in place, and having your mind in place will help you be more productive and consequently make you a better professional.

3. Follow just people who matters (Saves Time)

This is one of the best things I've ever done, I unfollowed pretty much every "influencer" on instagram, I let only family, friends and some pretty girls I'm into, I got surprised that I left following only 90 people, I even unfollowed some people that I know and don't really like, that I was like, what the F*ck I'm following this person. Now, I can see all my feed in two minutes or less, I close the app, and go do what I have to do. I don't' have a twitter account, and I barely visit my facebook profile, I only have it because I have good friends that are not on Instagram. Yeah, I have some people that I follow that are famous, but they are people that I really like( like Casey Neistat) or that gives great value for free (Sam Ovens and Alex Becker), these two drop loads gold content on youtube for entrepreneurs, I used to follow GaryVee as well, but he was like spamming on my feed and I was against my rule of wanting to see more close people, also I prefer Sam and Alex advices, the only thing I took off from Garry is the ideia to love the process and not the result, which is awesome and I'm applying in my life, and believe me, it changes everything. Ah! I also unsubscribed from pretty much all of the boring email lists that was spamming me, a tip I have a second email to give when I have to fill a form, and I deactivated the notifications on almost every channel on youtube that I still was subscribed, letting only the ones that gives me the most value. I like to disable notifications on everything, to don't distract me, letting only personal messages notifications.

4.Procrastination Savers (Saves Time)

I call it procrastination savers because those are things that keeps me from procrastinate. First I keep track of my time and for that I'm using Toggl, and it's the best I've found, and they have a Pomodoro function, which you should use, and if don't know what pomodoro is, I highly recommend you to google it and use it. Then I installed the StayFocused extension on Chrome, it blocks sites that distract you after you use it for some time, and they make it hard to change the settings, I give myself 90 minutes for these sites, like Youtube ( I was kind of having a procrastination problem on youtube) or any other you would like to add, and after these minutes, it blocks these sites, it's working for me and in the first day I already could see the improvement of my workflow. And for the last I like to put what I'm working on and event on Google Calendar and set notifications, I helps me organize my day.

- okay the text is getting long, I will try to make it shorter for now on.

5. Read less, act more (Saves time)

Lots of people spend much time reading or watching videos on how to do things, thinking that after these they will start doing what they have to do, and then go on and start another book or video, and the cycle goes on. Of course some books have tons of values, so my takeaway is filter better what are you going to read and have a balance of reading/research and acting.

6. Minimalism and Stoicism (Saves lots of time and money)

I've put this two together because I think they complement each other, and also because I'm getting tired of writing. These two are the best philosophies/ways of life that exist, and the world would be a better place if everyone used it.

7. Have a critical thinking

Have a critical thinking and learn some philosophy, you might find it boring, but in on of my philosophy class I've learned that if you don't think, someone will think for you. And if there's a text you should read, it should be The one Rule for Life by Mark Manson, also Mark Manson is one of the few worthy of my rare newsletter subscription, he simply writes tons of mind blowingly valuable texts. And in the critical thinking there's a great course on EDx The Science of Everyday Thinking, which is awesome.

8. Marketers are trained to deceive you. (Saves money)

My friend who was studying marketing told me, they teach us how to trick people. Most people on marketing are trying to sell you something you probably don't need, this is one thing that having a critical thinking might help you, and my trick to don't buy stuff I don't need is to think is it really going to bring me value or someone is trying to sell it to me because they only want money and created a piece of worthless sh*t they are desperately trying to sell me. (Also I don't have a TV and I installed adblock on my browser, I don't get bothered by ads, and if I want something I go search for it).

9. Follow these people

I mentioned them here, they simply make lots of quality valuable content: Sam Ovens, Alex Becker, on youtube, and Mark Manson on his website and newsletter. Also follow someone if they are good in your area of work.

Ok that's it, sorry for the long text, I hope it might help, ah! and the tip from the guy in the comment above is gold Have a walkable distance (<15min) between house and workplace. I don't even have a car, I saves me tons of time and money, and If I need to go somewhere I just take an Uber, of course it depends on the city you live, and it reminds of another tip, if you're location independent you can go live in a cheaper place/country (cost of living and smaller taxes), the Nomad Capitalist channel has good information on youtube.

Ok now I will stop writing, this time is serious, I hope it help you! bye!

Womat

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 24, 2019
1. Audiobooks
Impressive way to keep learning while commuting or making house chores.
100% agree with this. Always have an audiobook to listen on the journeys. If you don't know where to get them from - Audible.com will be good spot.

From me to add:

1. Write things down as soon they pop into your head.
This is very wide subject and works in different areas of life. It's in line with the book - Getting Things Done by David Allen. Are you in the kitchen and see missing ingredient? Write it down on the new shopping list and then add things to the list till you go shopping. Have an idea? Write it down. Thoughts are like cigarette smoke drift away quickly if not put on paper.

2.Use your phone calendar to remind you about tasks.
Relates a bit to the above, but put things in the calendar with a reminder when you want your device to remind you about it. Have to call someone tomorrow at 8am? Don't leave it to a chance, that you will remember about it tomorrow at the right time, get the device to remind you, and free your brain to process more important and more creative thoughts.

3. Throw some toilet paper into the toilet before you make action to avoid the splash.
Slightly unrelated to the above now, lol.
Self-explanatory. It doesn't have to be a lot of paper in the water to work for you, though. Smallest amount will do the job.

Pink Sheep

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Apr 29, 2019
I think a reflection on decision criteria would be very valuable here.

When you're making these sort of decisions, it seems like sometimes your criterion is spending less money (at a higher cost to your time or well being) and sometimes it's spending less time. Spending less money at the expense of ignoring other (better) decision criteria is costly.

I've tried a cheap gym membership. It smelled. The people where horrible. I didn't go. I now pay premium for my gym/spa membership, and I actually enjoy my workouts and I get to fully relax and plan my day. In addition to clearer thinking and more energy, I've lost weight, volume and feel generally better with my body and mind. This makes a huge difference to my productivity and I've earned my gym membership many times over, which makes this a winning investment.

In summary, I think your decision criteria should be "will this help me make more money or improve the quality of my life" not "will this help me spend less money in exchange for time or effort".

Double edge safety razor to save money fails the criteria. Bad decision.
Double dge safety razor to save time follows the criteria. Good decision. But so is any other razor.
Elgato Stream Deck to save time follows the criteria. Good decision.
Keto diet to improve health follows the criteria. Good decision.
Keto diet to safe money fails the criteria. Bad decision.
No Poo Movement to improve health follows the criteria. Good decision.
No Poo Movement to save money fails the criteria. Bad decision.
Optimize Your Keyboard to save time follows the criteria. Good decision.
Cut Your Own Hair to save time follows the criteria. Good decision. A better would be to set an appointment or, even better, have a barber come to your home at the time you set.
Cut Your Own Hair to save money fails the criteria. Bad decision.
Credit Cards to save money (assuming no downsides) is a good decision.
Cheap Gym Membership to save money fails the criteria. Bad decision.

A few tips and tricks of mine:
Buying top of the line products never gets me thinking twice about my tools, like laptop, phone, earphones, backpack, clothes, shoes: if there's some problem, it's because no one else solved it either.

Follow the KonMari method to tidying up. You'll be organized forever. This saved me A LOT of time. I use the KonMari method not only with clothes, but with everything else. In my case, organizing my laptop files is particularly important.
Note: Methods like KonMari, You Need A Budget (YNAB) and Getting Things Done (GTD) are ways to think about meta-level areas of your life (what's important to you and why) while cleaning object-level areas of your life (tidying up your home, money and work).
I totally get your point of view. Remember that a lot of people here dont have a business yet, or can benefit from saving money. 10 bucks here and there can allow some to say no to a part time shift and focus on making their fastlane product.

André Casal

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 1, 2018
I totally get your point of view. Remember that a lot of people here dont have a business yet, or can benefit from saving money. 10 bucks here and there can allow some to say no to a part time shift and focus on making their fastlane product.
Yeah, this deserved more explanaition. There's nothing wrong with saving money, as long as that doesn't come at the cost of better decision criteria. Also, there's an upper bound to what people can spend, which seems to be what you're implying. Given a certain amount of income, what's reasonable to spend and how is an interesting question to consider. I always strive to make my decision criteria and it's hierarchy explicit so these decisions are easier to make.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
This site is great. It finds any email newsletters, etc that you're subscribed to and let's you unsubscribe quickly:

Like 107 subscriptions? How did I get this much shit. I'm unsubscribing to most.

Also for ones you want to keep, but see less often, it let's you put them into a weekly 'rollup'

Last edited:

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
This site is great. It finds any email newsletters, etc that you're subscribed to and let's you unsubscribe quickly:

View attachment 26689

Like 107 subscriptions? How did I get this much shit. I'm unsubscribing to most.

Also for ones you want to keep, but see less often, it let's you put them into a weekly 'rollup'

Oh man I love you! My bitcoin account was hacked well over a year ago and so I wouldn’t see the emails saying I was hacked they used a bot to sign me up for 1000s of emails, I’m still unsubscribing from them today.

Also about this thread, I’ve been meaning to make something similar for a while now. Something along the lines of money saving things that you still do, or that are worthwhile doing. Like mj says in his book waiting in line an hour to save .10c on fuel is a bad use of your time, but there are other things that aren’t, especially if you’re trying to scrape together some money to start hustling with. Yes we are all here to make more money and focus on offence but I still think there’s value in this.

My 2 big ones have already been mentioned, buying bulk non perishable items when they are on sale saves time, thinking energy, and money. My bathroom cupboard looks like a supermarket shelf, I literally buy boxes of toothpaste and deodorant when it’s on sales so I only have to buy it like twice a year.

I also refill the small little hand sanitizer bottles which saves a lot of time buying them and money. This one is one of the funnier ones that maybe we can all share here and laugh at the stupid little things like this we still do.

As mentioned above, the double edge safety razors are great, you get a better shave, buy blades way less often, and save a lot of money.

As for audiobooks I prefer the iBooks app which actually sells them too, you can just buy whatever book you want for the price they charge, it’s probably more expensive but I prefer it to audibles wierd subscription model.

An easy and cheap hack to look better, you can buy home teeth whitening kits off eBay, they work really well, just make sure your teeth are dry and stay dry while you whiten them. I also got trays moulded to my teeth while I was in Vietnam so the kit would work better.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.