The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Not cool bro...

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
So I'm chatting with an animator on skype. He's "highly recommended" by a friend. I tell him I need:
  • ORIGINAL animated designs
  • Full resale license rights
I don't have the time to do 50+ designs myself by the deadline. I need him to take some of my storyboards and assets and turn them into something usable to resell to customers.

So he quotes me at $10/animated second, which is a reasonable price...

However, as we move forward, it becomes clear that he doesn't intend to create animations from scratch. He plans to use 'fill-in-the-blank' templates off of VideoHive...

After I confront him about this... he understands, and we continue talking about UNIQUE animation.

NOPE!

Kid starts sending me examples of his "original work" which are just more templates. I know because I own them myself. They still have the "your text here" placeholders in them.

LISTEN KID:
I can buy and edit templates myself!
WERE YOU NOT LISTENING TO ME THE PAST 30 MINS?
There must be a misunderstanding, right?

NOPE!

Turns out he DID understand what I was asking for, but he was trying to cut down work on his end, but still charge me the full price for it.

Apparently he didn't care that it'd break the license agreement of the original work. He didn't care that I could be sued for illegally breaking copyright. He thought I wouldn't figure it out.

Templates are MEANT to be used with clients. I understand showing off templates you own as a producer trying to book clients. Except in this case, he's not the producer.. I am. He's an animator FAKING his skillset, trying to squeeze extra money out of me, and knowingly setting me up to break copyright laws.

This is why it's important to be an expert in what you do.
The person who referred this kid to me said he was a "very gifted video artist". This is because the referring party isn't well versed in video.

I SAW the templates because I own them myself.
I spotted his hesitance in following my storyboards, his hesitance when I told him I'd need access to the project files when he was done.
I knew when that him "checking his files" before quoting me, was him templates similar to what I asked for.

Imagine if I had spend a few grand on this kid and then gotten sued?
Not cool bro...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Nice diligence Duty.

I've found that behaviour to be everywhere and in almost every institution.
I actually expect BS like that and do smaller runs first up, that way you minimise risk.

Also, I picked up recently that getting a concept guy (can you show me a few scetches and a few concepts etc) and an "eye" guy (can you turn this into x) can be really helpful in ensuring it is original. Ask guy for the ideas and find another guy that can execute, or, take it back to him to see how he executes and if he can finish the project.

I am hesitant to buy anything at face value, because imo its worth nothing and most business people are not 1000% honest. I am amazed at how many people buy from independants like they are as trustworthy as a supermarket etc. The difference between big and small is usually thorough biz practices that help them stay away from this tom foolery, so assume the worst, and be prepared for better once you've gone through diligence.

Learn to enjoy roasting people upon purchases of any kind, and throw curve balls and you'll spot phonies faster.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.